Will I be able to recieve a MMJ Card?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by JoeyFeduka, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I suffer from insomnia, though I have never gone to the doctor because I knew I would get pills. I have a friend that also suffers from insomnia, and he does not have good things to say about his medication. I just don't like the sound of chemicals/the possible addictiveness of said pills.

Since I do not have any medical records on my insomnia, will I be able to get a card?

I live in Southern California.

2. No, you need to have medical records of going to the doctor about your insomnia. However, once you get the prescription for the sleep aid, you can bring it to where you'll get your medical rec and they will issue you a rec.

HOWEVER, when it comes time to renew your medical recommendation you'll have to show continued treatment for said condition, either new prescriptions for the sleep aid [you don't have to take them] or continued documentation of you having insomnia.

3. Go to your doctor, get a prescription for sleeping pills, wait a few weeks, and schedule your appointment for an mmj recommendation. CA law leaves it up to the doctor to decide if mmj would be beneficial - there isn't a prescribed set of allowed conditions. As long as you bring proof that you are being treated by your regular doctor, you should be fine.

4. Alright guys, thanks for the info.

I was hoping I wasn't going to have to jump through hoops to do this. But if someone didn't need medical records, anyone could just go in there and get it instantly...

I guess I'll go to the doctor now haha

5. Yep - it does suck. Make sure to get out and vote this November, and spread the word about why it needs to be legalized!

6. You're wrong. I showed up with NO RECORDS at all and convinced my doctor that I needed to use medicinal cannabis for insomnia. I did have a history of insomnia but as I said I did not bring any evidence to prove it.

7. Some doctors will issue without proof, but try defending it in court if the need arises. He's got no history of recent medical treatment that would support his need. That's the entire reason why doctors ask for the proof. It may be easier to not get it in the first place, but I'd much rather be sure that I'm not screwed if my need were ever questioned, ya know?

8. Your doctor is the person that determines whether you could benefit though, seldom is the legitimacy of the persons illness ever questioned in court.

9. LEGALLY the requirements are as I stated. If a doctor issued you a medical recommendation without the proper documentation they are breaking the law, and that does a discredit to the medical marijuana system. :confused_2:

10. That's just it - legally you do need proof. That means that if the doctor goes down for writing scripts for people that don't need it, your rec is no longer any good. There's no reason not to go get a check-up, a script (you don't have to fill), and then get your recommendation.

11. It would be just dandy of you if you were to link that law.

12. Or you can ask google.
    Prop 215.

13. #13 ecslickz, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    I would if the law you speak of existed.

Edit: Thanks for the neg rep by the way.

"stop giving bad advice like this, it does nothing for the medical marijuana community"

14. You're welcome, it's the truth.
    And you're right, there's absolutely no statute in the Health and Safety Code that states these things. :rolleyes:

Go read the whole Code yourself.

15. Read it. I couldn't find where it says you need records to be a legitimate patient therefore legally he doesn't need actual records to be a legit patient.

16. It doesn't state that you NEED proof, however, that is standard practice. If I see a new doctor, they want my medical records.

The law does state that if you are arrested, you need to show proof of the condition in a pre-trial hearing to request dismissal. Honestly, I don't want to see a doctor that doesn't ask for some sort of proof when a problem isn't apparent to the naked eye. That doctor is a lot more likely to get popped down the road for shady practices. Those doctors are also less likely to vouch for you if you get arrested.

17. You have fun arguing that in a Court of law.
    Most legitimate legally compliant doctors who will issue a medical recommendation [as opposed to a general practitioner issuing a medical rec] require these things for a reason.

18. From what I've been told by actual doctors is that the law states that if the doctor believes that the patient can benefit from medicinal cannabis, the doctor can issue a recommendation for the duration of time he deems appropriate(1yr most of the time).
    Plus, if you're in court already I'm guessing the legitimacy of your recommendation isn't going to save you from what you're there for in the first place.

19. You just went from arguing that it would be illegal for doctors to give recommendations without proper documentation (and quoting Prop 215 as your source even though it doesn't say that in there) to saying most doctors require the medical records, meaning, it is not against the law but just something most doctors do. IMO, you just contradicted your first argument.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I think I have found a doctor who will write me a recommendation but there seems to be a lot of fees, which need to be paid yearly so I am still debating whether or not it is worth it.

Grasscity Deals Near You