Will humans ever be satisfied?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by theotherone420, Aug 11, 2007.

1. since me last acid trip there has been one question in my mind

how do i get rid of the tenacious lingering of human desire?

human beings are always in need of things, but too often they want things. They want money, they want sex, they want social appeal. What does it take to get rid of that subconscience wanting? In everyday tasks human are trying to fufill their wants. Whether it be going to a job they hate so they can pay for anything, or whether it be working your ass off trying to impress somebody just to get laid.

I've had enough, and i have for a long time. It's innevitable that every human being will continue to want something. But i finally find myself at ease, i find my peace of mind when i smoke. So this is one reason why i smoke, i still have a want for things, but a want for better intentions, intangible things. Like peace...

2. People will say they want peace, and to stop world hunger, but nobody will pay nearly as much attention to something like peace when they will not be able to feel it themselves. "Wanting" something is a form of greed, no matter how well intended. People may say they want peace, but they will not strive to achieve it because they will not be able to have it for their own. People will always try to one-up everybody else to make themselves feel more secure about themselves. As sad as it is, peace does not benefit the individual as much as it benefits the whole, and most people can't live with being just as well off as everyone else.

3. This is a great question
    Individually we can all relate to greed and feelings of selfishness but the level varies from person to person. So can we indefinitely say that greed is apart of human nature?
    One day I suppose we as a whole will be satisfied and comfortable with our surroundings but I feel asking If we as humans we ever 'find' peace Is a completely different question.

4. We won't. It's a very solidly ingrained trait of evolution.

5. people want the next thing, whether it be that next orgasm, that new tv, the rush from a fast car. but its fleeting, its comes and goes. thats the only way people know how to get satisfaction, instant gratification. so they are on a constant search. the more conscious these people become the less they have these desires. by conscious i mean spiritually conscious, relationshiplly conscious, environmentally conscious, love conscious.

so desire will be less and less when we allow it to be. meditation and awareness are key.

you still want things, you suffer less because you no longer want material objects and a quick fix. but theres still a part of you that wants, even though it is peace or better intentions. wanting good produces bad because they are insperable. its like loving god and hating the devil, they are the same unseperable thing. or hippies hating society, they are still suporting the society they hate by providing energy. this idea took me a while to understand so if it doesnt make sence dont worry. i wish i could explain it better, maybe melt or someone will make sence.

6. I kinda get that concept of duality in everything (if thats what you meant, lol) but I don't know where you are going with it. So is there a point of wanting anything?

7. Simply because the question has to be asked, the answer is no, humans will not be satisfied.

8. It's very simple from a personal standpoint. Do not live in excess. Do what is necessary only when necessary.

9. Dynasty, that post contradicts your sig. Not an attack or anything, but pick a side before you argue.

10. k, disclaimer- i'm not a fan of this band* but the lyric that goes:

"You dont always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find, you get what you need"

is a handy stepping stone.

the best lesson i have ever had from learning about and practicing yoga... listen to your body. indeed, i often trump it to be the ONLY lesson you need to learn from yoga.

and another handy tip... ask yourself, and allow silent space for an answer from your deapest and highest and most whole cores, the inner truth that is only heard with clarity and stillness.

the first question... the one in the title...
    I've been satisfied many times. :D so sure i am other humans have too, and so, since that's plural.... will humans ever be satisfied? yes.

blackdhalia wrote
    saw them not be satisfied did you? :D

* not a fan of the band cos they were fame & fortune seeking idiots. feeding their greed, and writing songs like "i cant get no, satisfaction". :D

11. (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I can't get no satisfaction
    'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
    I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm drivin' in my car
    And a man comes on the radio
    He's telling me more and more
    About some useless information
    Supposed to fire my imagination
    I can't get no, oh no no no
    Hey hey hey, that's what I say

When I'm watchin' my TV
    And a man comes on to tell me
    How white my shirts can be
    But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
    The same cigarrettes as me
    I can't get no, oh no no no

I can't get no girlie action

When I'm ridin' round the world
    And I'm doin' this and I'm signing that
    And I'm tryin' to make some girl
    Who tells me baby better come back later next week
    'Cause you see I'm on losing streak
    I can't get no, a no no no

No satisfaction, no satisfaction, no satisfaction

12. true satisfaction is on the spiritual level, not materialistic. i suppose until we come to this realization, we will never be satisfied.

13. No, it really doesn't. It just says to keep at it until you are at your best level of whatever you're doing. Many people don't realize when they're at their best and keep on going and end up in a realm of self-destruction. This over-the-top attitude is a result of greed and desire.

My sig means to be satisfied with things only when you know it is your best.

14. I mean Humans as a race/species will never be satisfied.