Will Fiberglass Mesh Screen for passive intake filter?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Buddy McNugs, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Hey, does anyone know if if the fiberglass window screen mesh rolls they sell at Hardware stores work good as a filter for passive intakes to keep out pests/dust/mold/etc.? It is a black mesh screen that I believe is used to replace screen on windows. I already have a roll and am hoping that one layer of that will work on my intake vent or if not maybe a double layer?

2. I just use a piece i cutout of a screen door. Holes are small enough to keep pests out. I never had a single insect in my grow box. Knock on wood, ill probably be infested when i get home. Lol

3. They sell rolls of it walmart, or even the screen from window screen, they have the adjustable ones to put in open windows. I used them to dry the buds but im gonna hang the whole plant this time so i cut my screens up and burned the framed. I get paranoid throwing shit away like everyone knows what im may or may not be doing. I tell noone

4. Ha I am the same way about throwing stuff away.  It is legal to grow here, I just don't want people knowing my business.  The screen I have is some I got in a roll and I think it is similar to what you described above.  I am going to give it a try.  I don't think I should have much problem with pests anyway, other than maybe gnats, had a few of those from time to time before I started growing, but I may try some pest strips outside the box to help with them.

5. Not gonna keep out mold spores short of a HEPA filter.

But Greencure's cheap, a pump sprayer from the hardware store is under $15. Spray plants, top and from underneath, once every 2 or 3 days, no worries.

Same with spider mites...no window screen looseness mesh will stop them. Stretched pieces of ladies' stockings type nylon MIGHT.

But what screen CAN do is keep mantises or ladybugs IN...and they eat the mites, eggs, and larvae. And just about any other pest that might harm your plants that's small enough to get in through a screen.

Honestly, if you're going to spray your plants regularly, dust isn't an issue, either.

But if you really want to keep mites, dust, and spores out, you need at the very least furnace/air handling filter material...HEPA quality to be REALLY effective.