will cutting the top off make them more bushy ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by scott1974, Jul 8, 2004.

1. hi folks :)

quick question, when i'm growing them, should i cut the top off a little, say 2 inces off the top to make them more bushy ? if so, when's the best time to do this ?

thanks

scott

2. me again, forgot to also ask, i've read somewhere that it's good to bend them over and tie them so they are more horizontal so light gets to the lower parts. is this a good idea and if so, when's the best time to do this ?

thanks so much, i'm learning a great deal from all the great posts :)

scott

3. the two methods ur talking about are called topping and lst (low stress training) both mehtods promote lower growth of the plant.

in my opinion i think it kind of depends what kind of plant ur dealing with. a sativa dominant plant probably won't react as well to the lst as an indica plant.

to top ur plant all u do is cut the top off right above one of the sets of branches giving it two main growth spots instead of just one.

and for lst u simply tie the top of the plant down to the edge of ur pot or whatever at about a 45 degree angle thus exposing lower branches to more light

hope that made sense im kind of out of it though so yeah

:smoking:

edit- also when doing lst be careful not to break ur plant, the stem i mean.

4. hi,

"to top ur plant all u do is cut the top off right above one of the sets of branches giving it two main growth spots instead of just one."

"in my opinion i think it kind of depends what kind of plant ur dealing with"

i'm growing white widow, not sure if it's sativa dominant or not

thanks for help :)

scott

5. Well you can trim the plant. Cutting it at 45 degrees at different sections of the plant to create nodes. Everytime you cut you create 2 more stems. Twice as much growth. It also reduces height. People do this to there colas to get not one, but two colas. You have to do it in flowering though or you are just gonna reduce your yield.

6. hi,

thanks so much, that's very handy to know :) any best areas to cut and should i start as soon as it starts to flower and do it just once or many times ?

thanks again :)

scott

7. Well it changes strain to strain. If you were to cut a cola, and make it double it may kill bud production, or it may work wonders. You can actualy keep trimming it so it has up to 8 colas. But this isn't recommended for first grows.

8. ah, think it's worth doing it just once then on a white widow or best to leave it ? :)

9. in my opinion if this is ur first grow i wouldn't reccommend doing unless ur absolutely sure u know how. i say u should get at least one good grow before u start the topping and traing shit just so u know what ur doing

10. Well this is my first grow and I'm doing low stress training. Be gentle with your plants stem while bending them over and work with a healthy plant to start, you will be fine.

I have a minimum of grow space so I really had no choice but to lst. Check out the last page of my grow journal or do a search for lst (that's LST). I started training my female when she was 6" or so.

Hope this helps and much luck.

Gg