Will clay pebbles help?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kkjones714, Aug 8, 2013.

1. #1 kkjones714, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    Ive been growing in my closet under my hps with fans i dont have really good ventilation so my plants soil seem to dry fast...do clay pebbles help retain moisture in soil or is it only beneficial in hydroponics? Or any other tips to keep the moisture up Also does it help with the ph levels at all?Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 GoldGrower, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    fast drying is very desirable. if your sick of watering so often put them in bigger pots. fast wet/dry cycles means your plants are doing well

better ventilation although is a good thing will likely make the soil dry out faster.

could your plants be root bound perhaps?

3. This may not help you with your current crop, but maybe in the future...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1151159-noobwannbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html

I live in a very arid environment without the benefit of any kind of air conditioning (cooling/heating) in my grow area. This fixed every issue I had in my grow.

A word of caution, however. This SIP technique produces explosive growth rates, especially during vegetative growth. If timing is important, keep this in mind.

4. i have them in 3gallon pots they arent rootbound i dont think...i dont really have good ventilation...i used the pebbles with my new plants i have im doing 12/12 from the start on these it seems to be keeping my grow room moist when i open it i feel moist air and smell soil

The big plants i havr flowering are about 3 weeks into flowering and the soil dries fast but the leafs stay nice and green

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. If you lack proper ventilation (poor air flow), how is it that your pots are drying out quickly?

6. thats pretty much what im asking what can be the problem idk what it is....the plants look good besides the dry soil

7. it sounds like everything is going well. if your soil was staying wet for over 5-6 days your having problems, your soil is becoming stagnant. but if your soil is drying out in under 3-4 days it's good. if your having to water every 1-2 days your pots are too small.

maybe your temperature is a bit high, but if your plants aren't showing any problems it's probably ok. what temperature is your canopy level?

8. thats about right it seems to dry after about 3 days the temp isnt too high its around 88 ish last time i checked it doesnt get really hot in my grow tent i dont have vents yet just a fan so idk what the problem is maybe i have too many plants in the area the buds are forming but not really fast its only week 3 of flowering

9. I really don't understand what problem your are seeing here. the soil needing watering every 3 days is about spot on. why do you want longer intervals? the reason they are drying out is because the plants are drinking the water. if watering every 3 days is bothering you just put them in bigger pots, but beware doing this will give them less oxygen to the roots and essentially slower growth