Will anti depressants do the trick?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by lostkeys32, Mar 22, 2018.

1. So i have been smoking weed for around a year, and i can say around 50% percent of the time it’s enjoyable with music, however, the other 50% is a complete nightmare. I get extremely insecure about how i look, and how ruff im doing in life. I also start judging everything i know and cherish, including my family. I have a history of extreme anxiety and mild depression from a though childhood and pure genetics. I decided to smoke weed before trying any medication, as a more healthy alternative. I have had some incredible experiences with cannabis and i want to enjoy those feelings further. But its like a brick wall of negativity that stops me from enjoying these moments. Will ALL the side affects go away that im experiencing if i take anxiety medication and continue to smoke. Or will it just make it worse. Please help, im in a really bad position.

2. I'd definitely recommend some time with a therapist who can prescribe something if they feel it would help for starters. Like they say, wherever you go, there you are. Getting high isn't a cure-all. There are many times I don't want to smoke/vape because I've just got too much shit in life to deal with and I don't want to dwell on it while stoned.

Another angle might be to just smoke a lot less whenever you do smoke. Primarily though, it'd be best to get your head straight, figure out some good coping tools, gain a new perspective on things so that when you go to those dark places you don't get as swept up. Stuff like Prozac can help keep you out of the spiral while you do that.

3. For my husband, anti-depressants were a total nightmare of side effects. Always be sure to read the side effects in the insert before taking any prescription drug, but especially those that affect the mind!

My brother, on the other hand, does just fine on Welbutrin. He's been on it for years and it helps him. He smokes cannabis, but hasn't mentioned any problems mixing the two.

About those paranoid feelings, you might try looking for strains that have a bit of CBD (cannabidiol) in them, or find a CBD alcohol (not glycerin or oil based) tincture and "lace" your cannabis with it. Just dampen your cannabis with the tincture and let it dry for a bit. CBD has a mellowing effect on the THC high.

Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment. (full – 2012) http://jop.sagepub.com/content/27/1/19.long

Does Cannabidiol Protect Against Adverse Psychological Effects of THC? (full – 2013) Does Cannabidiol Protect Against Adverse Psychological Effects of THC?

Hope that helps.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Are you smoking mostly indicas? I get that way after smoking only indicas for long periods of times. I always smoke cbd or hybrids to combat those feelings.
    Sounds like a life change is needed, changing your life will help more than pills or weed, reach out to the people close to you for help.

6. Wish ya luck Man U ain’t the only one. Life has its ups n downs some worse than others. I get down a few times a year sometimes for days sometimes for months. I’d go talk to a pro just be completely honest if they diagnose ya with something try to find a strain that helps with it. Pills have lots of side effects that can worsen your problems, smoking, vaping, or edibles are a lot safer.
    But pills n weed can’t fix your life. Just gotta find something that’ll motivate ya to take the 1st step to make a change. Just my two cents not preaching I know how bein down works. Shit next week I may be down ya never know.
    Not sure what you got goin but I’ve got ptsd, insomnia, and adhd. My go to strains are harlequin in the morning, cinex in the afternoon, and gods gift at night. Took me like 2 years and a lot of cash to find strains that work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Antidepressants should be the last option always

If your unhappy, fix these problems first:

- Exercise hard regularly, multiple times per week
    - Eat healthy
    - Have a good sleep schedule (wake up early everyday, get 8 hours of sleep)
    - Don't spend time on social media

Guarantee doing those 4 things will help you out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I couldn't agree more with the above post. Everyone is looking for the quick fix nowdays....give me a pill because I'm too lazy to put any effort into it.
    I'm not directing this at the op as I don't know all the particulars but this is my opinion of what is going on today.
    proper diet and lifestyle are the answer

9. Start meditation and exercises. Start communicating with people with positive vibes. Hope you will not need antidepressants more.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I tried killing myself on antidepressants, if that answers any of your concerns. Cannabis has been a literal life saver for me.

Prescription pills are man-made suicide options, and some people choose that because life today is just too stressful with money problems and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hey man, the mental health system is fucked . What it sounds like is you're self medicating with MJ which is super cool for a coping mechanism and long term paths to improvement, but from my experience, you may want to reach out to a psychologist which can be recommended by a psychiatrist or nurse practitioner in some cases. It feels like a lot of hoops and appointments to bear, but having a team to treat what sounds like is anxiety and depressive disorders that if treated properly under the advisement of a team of doctors, you may be able to find some help. I wish there were better guidelines to direct you to that might help, but this is the best advice I can give. Keep doing what you're doing, but seek professional help to treat a real medical problem that you shouldn't have to live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk