Will a hermie pollenate a flowering plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by clinsanity, Jun 16, 2012.

1. I want to finish it, but it appears as if its turned into a hermie. Can I run them both to finish?

2. It will definitely pollinate it. it will also pollinate itself. That's how they make fem seeds I think.

3. Yeah a hermie will pollinate a female man... And itself Haha

4. How long left?

5. [quote name='"clint torres"']It will definitely pollinate it. it will also pollinate itself. That's how they make fem seeds I think.[/quote]

Close on the fem seeds man. Take a female, make it hermie, then use that pollen on another female (same strain) and you have feminized seeds of that strain.
    At least that's how I understand it.

6. [quote name='"IgnorantFool"']How long left?[/quote]

It's been flowering for three weeks today, so I would say about 4-5 more. I'm cutting the hermie tomorrow and trashing it.

7. Good choice man.

8. [quote name='"clinsanity"']

It's been flowering for three weeks today, so I would say about 4-5 more. I'm cutting the hermie tomorrow and trashing it.[/quote]

When you say have been flowering, is that actual flowering or since you switched to 12/12?

9. [quote name='"M3DICIN3MAN420"']

When you say have been flowering, is that actual flowering or since you switched to 12/12?[/quote]

They are auto Bubblelicious from Nirvana. So one plant flipped like a good auto should, the other one never completely flipped. Three days ago huge bud like things pop out and some have pistils, some have pods. I have one plant that is fully flowering and is BEAUTIFUL.

Follow my journal for complete info.

10. Hmmm... Maybe keep the other plant? Or at least get some pollen and try producing more seeds?

11. [quote name='"M3DICIN3MAN420"']

Close on the fem seeds man. Take a female, make it hermie, then use that pollen on another female (same strain) and you have feminized seeds of that strain.
    At least that's how I understand it.[/quote]

Not quite...

A breeder starts hundreds of plants and stresses the shit out of them. The plants that do not hermaphrodite are what are called "True Breeders" and have a very stable female genetic makeup. After removing the plants which changed sex due to stress the breeders then use a chemical spray to manipulate the hormones of the true breeders so they produce male flowers and pollen. This pollen is effectively "female" and the resulting offspring are almost guaranteed to be female as well.

The problem with this process is that desirable traits might be present in plants that stressed and were tossed. The true breeders might no have been the heaviest harvesting, tastiest, or most resinous phenotype. Some clone-only strains also don't have the luxury of starting a few hundred plants to weed out weak genetics and as a result the fem'd seeds from these strains have a higher occurrence of stress related hermaphrodism.

Regular seeds really are the way to go when the breeders methods may be questionable. Greenhouse Seed Company is the only breeder I trust the feminzing techniques from. Their Lemon Skunk is welcome in my grow room any day.

12. Yup...sounds like a good choice...if you only had a week or two left you could probably keep it...

From what I understand, autoflowering is recessive...if you were to breed two autoflowers, then only some of the seeds would carry the autoflower trait...tricky stuff...

13. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! :)

14. You guys are great, it came down this morning. Got really baked before hand and acted like I was in Axe Men.

As for why it turned hermie, is it just genetics? Or did I do something wrong? I'm growing in coco, PH was always balanced, never too hot or cold, it was in a three gallon pot, and I watered every 2-3 days. It was the most beautiful plant I had ever seen while it was veggetating, its just a shame she became and heshe.

15. I'm not too good with autos, but maybe just bad luck with the genetics thing?

Light stress is probably the biggest hermie factor with normal photo plants, so if you caused it no undue stress, maybe it was just bad luck...:confused_2:

Anyone here good with information on autos?