Will a black light work

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Grassmann1, Oct 8, 2003.

1. It says nothing about not killing all the spores, it says the opposite, it says it wont kill all TYPES of fungus. Read the high times article

2. Doesn't say that in the very flawed article you quoted.

"Metal Gear!"

3. I read it 3 times.

"Metal Gear!"

4. "Metal Gear!"

5. Lol where did I get the quote from then. And high times just puts out bullshit information huh? And you're article says is not AS effective, numb nuts

6. High Times? This link takes me to laserfocusworld.

And if CNN and FOX can do it HighTimes certainly can.

People love to quote flawed studies and stats. See that sh all the time.

One test is not a study, it's an experiment. There was no control, no extended testing no follow up testing. So yeah. If that's what they sourced from they absolutely got it wrong.

"Metal Gear!"

7. #288 Aolelon, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  8. Also the article you linked is about killing mold spores in a HVAC system, please post evidence that it has no effect of someone holding a UV-C bulb right up against the plants surface.

9. The citation takes me back to the flawed study that also ironically doesn't mention the quote they linked it with.

Will it inhibit growth? Yup.

Will it stop growth? To a degree if applied on a consistent basis.

Will it kill the spores? Possibly a lot but not all.

Will it grow back? Yes the second the UV is gone and in areas the UV can't hit (like under a pot or in the soil).

Done.

"Metal Gear!"

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Your article is about killing mold spores in an HVAC system, it doesnt pertain to anything to do with growing cannabis. Come back and try again.

11. Oh so cannabis mould is a special magic mould now?

Definitely not one of the MOST common fungal species.

"Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that affects a wide range of plants. Powdery mildew diseases are caused by many different species of fungi in the order Erysiphales, with Podosphaera xanthii (a.k.a. Sphaerotheca fuliginea) being the most commonly reported cause.[1] Erysiphe cichoracearum was formerly reported to be the primary causal organism throughout most of the world."

Powdery mildew - Wikipedia

Magic mould, and 0 viable scientific evidence to contradict anything I said.

5 for 5.

"Metal Gear!"

12. Please tell me the types of mold/ fungus cannabis growers encounter while growing. There are not many.
    Powdery White Mildew, Bud Rot, regular mold.
    One of the biggest ones is Powdery White Mildew.
    "
    Artificial Ultraviolet C (UV-C) lamps have been shown to be very effective in the laboratory for
    destroying bacteria, molds, viruses and some plant pests (e.g. spider mites) as well as other biological
    contaminants in air, liquids or on solid surfaces. UV-C has a wavelength between 185 and 280 nm (short
    wave ultraviolet radiation). UV-C rays are able to penetrate the outer membrane of microbes and
    damage their DNA essentially killing them. The same appears to be true for plant pests and their eggs
    (the smaller the pest the more susceptible they appear to be to UV-C). The specific wavelength of 253.7
    nm has been demonstrated to denature the DNA of pathogens so they can no longer reproduce"
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjARegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2RcNT5OVwR5W0MW56PiDUq

13. Yea, it is when you're trying to clean out a rooms air, compared to off a plant. The uv light isnt close enough to kill off the mold. You have to be within a certain range to effectively kill off molds. You're article calls it the "kill zone"

14. Y'all seem to be arguing not over function but efficacy... though this is no relation to Op and the thread is from 2003. In my opinion, this is a waste of money, but not pointless to do. The light is only breaking down the cell structure of what it comes in contact with, also, this is not something instant, this is overtime. Anything the light is not in contact with will continue to propagate. I've seen these systems first hand in HVAC applications. What the light shined on was good, everything else was shit.

Now, of course that's HVAC, but the principle is the same. Again, I'm not saying this is pointless to use, but it seems to me, it'd be a waste of money because it would be no more effective than simply maintaining your cure rooms environment, in my experience, as little as it may be.

Now, again, I'm not saying this is pointless, it could keep your ppm to a manageable level without having to keep too consistent of an environment. But, from what I've seen, first hand, in their application, I would regard this as a waste of money.

Though to be fair, that opinion is mainly anecdotal, but, dead thread with an unrelated debate... I gotsta throw it out there.

15. SPORES

I don't understand why you can't understand this.....

How Mold Gets Into A Cleanroom and How To Deal With Cleanroom Contamination - Pharm Eng

When you see mould, what you are looking at are established fruiting bodies. That means the spores have been released already. Short of a nuke you will never be able to get rid of all those spores. When the environment is right they will reestablish a colony.

Not to mention that you're body, clothes, tools, ducting, lamps, home and all of outside and every space station has spores.

"Metal Gear!"

16. Wrong

17. You got nothing. Just stop.

"Metal Gear!"

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Obviously the spores will continue to grow back, but that's because your environment was whacked in the first place, you can use UV-C to effectively kill off plenty of mold types and Fungus, but unless you get your environment in check, which caused it in the first place, of course it's going to grow back

19. Lol I could easily say the same about you. You posted shit about HVAC. Which has nothing to do with mold on a plant. I posted a couple articles that shows you can kill mold off cannabis with UV.