Will a 250w bulb work in a mogul socket that was using a 150w?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by phyking, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Also anyone know what an s-50 ballast means? I just got a new bulb and it says for s-50 ballasts. but I don't want to have to get a new socket for a hps bulb, so I would just like to use the same one I've been using.

Thank you for any help

2. i asked a similar question a while back.. i was wondering if i could use a 1000w bulb in a 600w ballast. at first i thought it would be equivalent to a 1000w dimmable ballast at 600w running a 1000w bulb. seemed logical but as i thought more about it and others also replied that the igniter probably wouldn't light the 1000w bulb or it would run much dimmer than an actual 600w bulb. completely makes sense now so id say if the ballast was for a 150w then id assume it wont ignite the 250w bulb fully.

s-50 as far as i know is just an ANSI standard code

3. I'm not talking about the ballast just the socket the bulb goes in

4. Yes, if it's a 5KV socket, or an E39 Mogul base, then the bulb will fit. You will still need the new ballast, though.

5. Ok I just wanted to make sure, but my ballast is comming today

6. Right on man, yeah. Just change the ballasts out and you're good to go, as long as the 150w bulb is not a standard, medium-base. Never used a 150w, so I couldn't say what they are for sure, but the 250w will definitely fit in the bigger fixture.

7. Well the ballast just came, but the 250w bulb fits in the socket, which is not the standard household socket but the big one for hid's

8. Did you upgrade from 150 to 250? if so, it looks like your the man ive been lookin for, i tried making a thread about the temp diff and noone said anything. im thinking about upgrading my setup but dunno if i could handle 250. hows the temps??