will a 160 cfm 6-inch inline fan be enough?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ignatz451, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Should this fan be adequate to vent my growbox?

Growbox is 2 52-gallon rubbermaids stacked on top of each other. total growbox measurements are approx. 36" X 36" X 18" or so.

A 4-inch passive intake is in the bottom side to let air in, with 6-inch outtake in opposite top side.

I picked -up the fan and set up my box with all the lights (12 26-watt cfl's, I may add 4-8 more eventually)

I had a single 4 or 5-inch fan from Target blowing between the lights and the tops of my plants towards the outtake with the 160 cfm 6-inch fan, and temps were between 82-87 Degrees F. with the 12 26-watters.

Is this too hot?

Will a 6-inch 160cfm inline fan move enough air in my box, or should I try to get another small fan to blow across the tops of my plants to lower temps?

I hear that the cfm rating of a fan should be 4 or 5 times the cubic footage of the growspace, is that correct?

If so, a 6-inch, 160 cfm inline fan should be more than enough, but I'm not sure.

2. Would a 250 cfm fan be better? or would that just be overkill for the size of my box?

3. the 160 will be way more than enough. should make the air nice and fresh for the girls!!

4. I agree that the 160CFM is MORE than adequate, but a 4" passive intake is WAY too f'n small. Try 10" by 10" or a 12" dia intake. Your fan will not have to work as hard, your plants will have more fresh air and all will be well in the world ... mostly

HTH'
    Sinc.
    SlackerBee

5. It will most certainly move plenty of air for now. However all fans are not created equal as far as their ability to produce suction through a carbon filter, so if you see a carbon filter in your future you might want to make sure you are not just buying a "duct booster" fan or a radial fan that probably will not create enough static pressure to do the job later on.

GL!.

6. BTW: Box seems terribly small for 52 gallon tubs. Are you talking 36" high x 36" wide x 18" deep ?

7. Serial add: Generally speaking, your fan will be somewhat quieter with a larger intake as well. win/win

8. Yeah, actually, it's more like 40 inches long, 34" tall and 20" deep. I was approximating.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

-and I'll make that intake bigger, I s'pose all the fan power in the world won't cool stuff down if I can't get fresh air into the box.

9. If you can spare the space, I'd def go taller ...