will 400w hps/mh show up on my parents power bill

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ttpayne, Nov 30, 2008.

1. i am going to do a grow and i just recently found out that i am going to get a mh and hps setup because its better.. i was going to do 400w, i live in a big house that uses lots of power and i was wondering i it would make a detectable difference in my power bill? i wont be running them both at once, assuming that ONE 400w MH will be running 18hrs per day. idk is it too risky.. ? my power bill is usually $200-300

2. find out how much electricity costs per kWh by you and do the math...

3. if you leave your pc on alot, those generally use alot of power already

so..start turning off the pc and it should be gravy

4. I noticed when I grew with my 400w hps that it increased the bill by around 8-10 bucks a month.

5. so you think if i started turning off lights it'd be ok. cuz the lights are ALWAYS on in my garage and thats a good 480 watts allready. they are on like prolly 10 hours a day

6. ya i just want to be sure, especially cuz it needs to be really incognito

7. I would defiantly be careful about growing in your parents house, you should maybe talk to them first, because if for some reason you are busted your rents could ptencially lose their house. Do they know you smoke? I talked to my parents about the whole thing (they know I smoke on a daily basis), and didnt want me to grow with an HPS as they were afraid of various fire hazards, busts etc... But they allowed me to do a small grow in an Aerogarden in my bedroom, they just didnt want me to tell anyone about it. Justbe smart about it.

8. Also, change out a bunch of regular lights throughout the house with CFLs. Should help drop energy usage as well, and may cover your "useage".

9. i have a power calculator and it says it will cost 45 cents a day to run it at 18 hours a day

10. ya but it depends on how much power costs.. its different everywhere. but ya i want to talk to my rents about it.. they do know i somoke.. but i smoke like once a week.. i'm way more interested in growing

11. fyi its a one or two plant grow.

12. I went through my house and installed energy efficient CFLs in all of the lights that I leave on the most. I also stopped leaving my PC on 24/7. I am expecting my bill to still be lower then originally, even with a 400w HPS light added.