Will 250 watt bulb run on 600 watt ballast?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rizzo30, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I have a problem here. My 600 watt hps light was shutting off and turning back on. It stopped doing that so I thought it was fine. Today it got worse. It started shutting off and staying off. I looked at my 600 watt hps bulb and it seemed to have a couple of metal rings that were just laying loose inside of the bulb. I only had this bulb for about two months. I think that the bulb is bad and I do not not have another bulb to replace it as of yet since its on order.

I have a 250 watt hps bulb which I thought would run off of this ballast. I figured I would probably loose 2/3 of my light by using this bulb, but I also figured that it would be better than nothing for the next couple of days while the new bulb arrives. Now the problem is that its shutting down also with this bulb too. I used the 250 watt bulb on its 250 watt ballast for two months already and it always worked fine so I think that bulb is good. Does anyone know why this 250 watt bulb would shut off like this on a 600 watt ballast? I thought that it would work fine, just that the smaller bulb would just draw less power. Its it possible that maybe my 600 watt ballast has a problem? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Is there not anyone out there that knows anything about these lights? Could a bad ballast possibly cause the 600 watt bulb to go bad within a month? I am trying to run a 250 watt bulb on that ballast right now so I can give them some kind of light until a new bulb gets here. The 250 watt bulb will light up for awhile, and then it will shut off and will not turn back on. If I unplug the ballast from the outlet and plug it back in, then it will run for awhile until it shuts off again.

3. Sounds like your ballast is bad. Yes a bad ballast can damage bulbs.

4. That is what I was fearing. This sucks. I got 4 girls that have been flowering for 2 weeks in there along with 2 more that have been flowering for 3 weeks. Now the tent for the most part has no light at all even during the daytime. How bad will a couple days of darkness hurt them? I should have another HPS bulb in a couple of days. Hopefully I can go from there to see whats going on with this light if it too burns out later.

5. Yea sorry....i agree sounds like ballast. Check ur connection first,mine takes some muscle to seat alll the way. Do u have a light mover ?

6. What is a light mover?

7. Its just a tract that your light mounts too. It slowly moves the light to cover a larger area and promotes a more even canopy . It could pull some wires loose over time if not installed correct

8. I just have the light tied to the top of the tent with those things that allow it to adjust up and down. I don't have anything installed so it can move the light from side to side or so it can move itself for me. I have to lift it up and down myself to get it positioned right. I sent a picture of the bulb to the company and they are telling me its the bulb thats bad so they are sending out a new bulb.

9. Hmmm....then why did it do the same thing with the other bulb ?

10. I really don't know. That really worries me. I thought that the 250 should work just fine in a 600 watt ballast. They said they are going to send out a bulb. They said if that does not take care of it then they will replace the ballast. I barely got this setup a month ago. Good thing they got warranty. I just hope that the girls don't mind going a couple days in the dark.

11. You need to match ballast and bulb wattage. You said the 250 bulb worked off a 250 ballast, why not use that ballast? Don't try to use a ballast that wants to push 600w to a bulb that can handle only 250w...

12. I am already using the 250 ballast with a 250 MH light and I currently have six plants veging on that. My 600 is used for my flowering station so I can can have some plants veging while some are flowering. The 600 watt lamp went out so I tried to use my 250 watt hps bulb that had laying around as a backup. I probably should have another 600 watt bulb on hand for just a backup. I did order another 600 watt bulb and also the company that I bought the first one from is sending me a replacement tomorrow so in the future hopefully I will have a working backup.

13. How far along in flowering are you ? A day or two in the dark may do it some good.

14. Four of them have been flowering for 5 weeks now and 2 of them have been flowering for 3 weeks. The 4 that have been in there for 5 weeks look like they are really filled out and getting heavy, but the 2 that have only been flowering for 3 weeks probably need some light yet since they will need another week or two to fill out more.