wilco appreciation

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by potsandplans, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Wilco is and always will be my favorite band. I've been writing my own songs since I was 14, and ever since I heard Jeff Tweedy every song I've written has aspired to be something he would write. Between this and the Pinback thread I feel like you've got some good taste about you.

2. thanks. exactly man!! I've been writing songs too and i try to capture tweedy's lyrical style its sooo good! and yankee hotel foxtrot is so simplistic in terms of music but delivers such a fucking punch that only wilco and pull off. and hell yea they are my favorite band, and uncle tupelo and sun volt are real good too, but still incomparable to the prowess of wilco.

for a second I thought nobody on GC likes wilco.

i really wanted to go for like wilco-esque lyrics over Air's Moon Safari type electronica

3. That would be a cool combination...in the Wilco movie that Sam Jones made (which I recommend if you haven't seen it) somebody asks Tweedy if YHF is going to be a trip-hop album when he's describing what it sounds like (something I've never been able to do). Have you ever caught them in concert?

4. noo dude i wish! my problem is that im bad at planning ahead and by the time i check out their ticket sales they are already sold out, because you know, wilco is so sick.

and i never saw that movie either. I think ive seen parts of it on youtube.. is it in black and white?

5. They're playing 2 nights at my favorite venue in Austin.

same with the Raconteurs though.

I'm torn..

6. Wilco is probably my favorite new band that I didn't know about 6 months ago. Great songs:

Via Chicago (Live from Chicago)
    Either Way
    Walken
    Jesus, Etc
    Misunderstood
    Pot Kettle Black

7. Yeah, that's the movie. It's worthy of checking out. I've been fortunate enough in that I've not had to buy a ticket either of the two times I've seen Wilco play. The first time my uncle did, and the second time my new girlfriend's dad did because he was so happy she was dating a kid that liked Wilco. What's more, Andrew Bird opened for him that day...it was fantastic...definitely try to get to a show if you can; they always play for 2+ hours with a couple of great encores...not trying to rub it in, just saying you NEED to see them.

8. Sounds like a perfect situation to me, man! Buy a ticket for one day of both guys, unless you can't do that. I've heard the Raconteurs put on a hell of a show.

9. Jesus, Etc. is a damn near perfect song

My favorite overall album is "A Ghost Is Born"

10. Hey, wife and I got tix to the Sunday Wilco show and the Saturday Raconteurs! Can't wait for both. If you decide on one of those nights I'll buy you a beer!

I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed, but this will be the 8th time we've seen Wilco.

11. Great band.

Side With the Seeds is my favorite track on the new album.

I love pretty much every album, but Summerteeth has to be near the top of the list.

12. hells yeah summerteeth is a classic! my favorites on that album are how to fight loneliness, my darling, via chicago, and when you wake up feeling old. I mean all the songs on that album are awesome but those especially.

13. Summerteeth is my fave, although I'm a pretty big fan of Being There and YHT.

If you ever want some Wilco-related live music, including some Tupelo, check out this site:

http://www.owlandbear.com/wilco-archive/

There's a great Tupelo set (just Tweedy and Farrar) playing acoustic at a radio station in Jersey.