wil a 200 watt heat lamp grow marijuana

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by haloman813420, Apr 30, 2009.

1. my buddy has one and I wanna know.:D

2. Yes, I started my first girl under a 150 W, well, vegged her under it for about 4 months till I got my shit ready to go.

3. DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP! Terrible idea. Either HPS (High Pressure Sodium), MH (Metal Halide), Fluorescent (tubes or CFL), or LEDs. Incandescents CAN work, but at least use fluorescents. They're inexpensive. Just do it.

4. Yes, if frying a little sprout is what you consider growing marijuana. A heat lamp? Honestly. Get some cfls or a fluorescent shop light, they are only $15 at walmart and the bulbs are cheap.

5. Simple answer: No.

You will need one of the following type of lights in order to successfully grow a marijuana plant: HPS (High Pressure Sodium), MH (Metal Halide), MV (Mercury Vapor) which isnt recommended but it will work, or any type of Fluorescent lights (which wont provide as much light as the other types of lights, and wont produce as big of a plant or overall bud yeild, but will work perfectly and emits virtually no heat). As far as Fluorescents go, you can use anything from a CFL (Compact Fluorescent) bulb, which are the spiral-looking "energy saving" bulbs you can find at nearly any store, to a shop-light fixture with fluorescent tubes in it, which most people already have in their garage and dont even know it ;)

But when all is said and done, i would recommend using a HPS or MH light, because it will produce the best results, or fluorescents if youre short on cash... Just please, if you have a heart, dont use a heat lamp on your mary jane!

Hope this helps. If you want more info on grow lighting, you can find it right here on grasscity. Good luck!

6. Quick question not sure if this thread is still active but im currently using a 125 watt heat light is this a bad idea i thought it would be good for humidity purposes im trying to grow indoors and my air conditioning is always in which makes it cold and dry which is why i thought the heat light may work is this me overthinking or a good idea?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

7. #7 killset, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    on top of it being a HEAT light its a very inefficient light source. Its red but who knows about the kelvin rating. Every thing is being channeled into heat not light. Plus your running up your a/c bill. For a couple dollars you can get some CFLs and be better off.....way way better off. And I never say that about cfls.

8. So the moral is that I need light not heat for these to grow correctly and wont i need like 8 cfls to do any work tho

9. Thanks for the reply too

10. Also im using the clear ones meant for bathrooms any difference?

11. Ya my man 100 actual watts if cfl would be better you can find it any where from a single bulb to 3-4. Multiple would be better because light penetration would be terrible. But that bulb is a really bad choice. Look for 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. What you got going on isn't going to work. I'm not sure of the kelvin rating of a HEAT lamp or anything but say its even in the ball park if usable. Its putting off to much heat to get close enough. CFLs need to be within 2-3 inches tops of the plant. I'm sure the penetration of that light is even worse. So your plants going to be right next to a hot ass bulb. Nobody uses a heat lamp for a reason my man. CFLs are the bottom end of acceptable light sources. And yes its light that makes plants grow not heat. I would like to suggest reading threw the beginner stickies and those in the lighting section.

12. We spend lots of $$$ fighting heat. Heat damages plants, stunts their growth and sets up a warm mold susceptible environment.

13. so you've grown under a heat lamp then?

J

14. I would like to see a pic of a plant that vegged under a heat lamp for 4 months. Got any pics?
    got any pics

15. I would like to see said vegged heater

16. Anything is possible, but does it make sense is the question?
    Inefficient light ($$$) and lots of intended heat in a heat sensitive environment... I wouldn't invest in that one...
    /r
    ~GHG

17. #17 MikeyTheRucc, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015

[​IMG]

18. Hey thanks for the help i posted a pic of my setup just for any other helpful tips my aunt just dropped this girl off to me she was a bit over watered i repotted in some happy frog and watered accordingly any thing else i should do?

19. Its super stretched. Get the light closer CFLs are only good for a couple inches. What size container is it in? If you transplant you can bury the stem some. Get rid of the foil. White walls are better then foil. the bulb appears to be 2700k going off the yellowish color. 6500 k would be a better choice. Put a fan on it gently blowing to strengthen the stem.

20. Yea i got the 2700k right now the container is 6" planter i dint know how much soil it holds but for now it seemed to provide some space to at least give the plant some time to strengthen while i figure out what way i can go with this grow