Wick watering system?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by I Roc Hos, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Can anybody describe in detail how the wick system works? What kind of ropes to use, nylon or cotton? Where exactly do you put the wick in the pot? I've tried to search but I never came up with any solid answers. Thanks in advance!:smoking:

2. Well the rule is 1-1/4"of wick per Qt of soil.........
    1-1/4" 2-1/8" 4-1/16" whatever ya have.........Drill holes in the bottom of the container.....pull the string thru the hole pull a least 12" thru into the bottom.....at that point you can untwist the rope/twine or not.....and wind it around the bottom of the pot/container.......Cotton or Nylon........just using nylon to grow pot does not seem right........
    :devious: Dupont still hold the patent on it:devious:

3. 3/8" nylon cord

This information is taken from Closet Cultivator by Ed Rosenthal.

What follows is the description for Wick Systems -

These work using capillary action to draw water from a reservoir to the container through 3/8 nylon cord, which wicks the the water up to the potting mix.

These were the very first hydroponic units used and they work quite well. Because they use capillary action to self - water, they keep the containers at an even moisture level.

This system uses the same equipment as the reervoir system, with two additions : 3/8 nylon wick to draw the water up to the containers from the reservoir and a platform to elevate the plant container above the water.

To create the system, a nylon cord is run outward throught the drainage holes in the container so that the two ends trail out of the holes and are long enough to reach the bottom of the reservoir. A container with four holes can use two wicks.

Then the containers are filled with a medium that includes some vermiculite on the bottom to promote the capillary action. Almost any potting mix will work in this system.

Vermiculite, perlite, compost and peat moss.

I use vermiculite, perlite and john innes no 2 and stones for drainage at the bottom.

From what I have read from this book, stones and vermiculite, perlite inbetween stones and then mix in parts with soil.
    Vermiculite and perlite promotes co2.

Hope this helps.

Going to do a wick system myself, so I will keep an eye on your journal and see what you come up with and if I find anything, I will let you know.

Happy growing mate.:hello: