Wi-Fi running abysmally slow

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by BP to the DP, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Hey blades, so the other day my Wi-Fi kicked me and my sister off the network, and ever since then it's been running so slow. Like 2kb/s slow. It's normally at least 2MB/s.

Also, my phone (and everyone else's) is constantly using Wi-Fi, like they're downloading something. I've used network usage viewers and they all say the same thing across all wireless devices on my network. They're downloading at at least 200kb/s, but whatever program that's downloading isn't appearing.

Over the past few days over 2gb of something has been downloaded to my phone, and my battery life is getting destroying. I've tried resetting my entire network and fiddling with settings, but nothing is working.

What the fuck? Is this a virus? My hardware is still working because something is downloading, but I can't figure out what. All wired computers on my network are fine, and running antivirus scans on all devices shows nothing.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

2. I just went through a similar problem. Everything in the house says good to go, but just couldn't quite get to the outside world for some reason. AT&T sent a guy out to look at it, he replaced the modem/router and we're up and going. Goos thing too because I don't think he knows any more than I do about it.

3. Yeah I think that's what we might have to end up doing.

4. My wifi through comcast has been going to shit the past few days aswell... but all speed tests I do say otherwise, im still clocking in at 20+ MBps on speed tests... anyways..

I've also had an issue with my 4/s in terms of data usage. It was sucking up something like 5 gigs a day, doing literally nothing but sitting on my desk. I did a factory restore on it to solve the problem.

Steps to try to fix ur net..

-Factory reset your phone
    -Firmware update your router
    -If your router doesn't have a firmware update available and is really old (like 5+ years) i would highly suggest buying a new one. Walmart sells an excellent home networking router from netgear, its called the N300 and is about $45. I bought this router a few months back for my home connection as my 7+ year old belkin router was so old and it had never once put out a firmware update. This leaves you vulnerable to even the most dated of network attacks.
    - Unplug router, and modem for a few minutes or hours to release and renew an IP address.
    -Take a look at your router logs and see if any alarming logs are found in it. IE: DoS attacks, port scans, etc.

5. I also have Comcast, I'll take a look and try the things you suggested. Thanks