Why you should keep goals to yourself

Discussion in 'General' started by Thaifoon90, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Keep Goals To Yourself | KratosGuide.com

Video
    Derek Sivers: Keep your goals to yourself | Video on TED.com

[​IMG]

Conventional knowledge tells us that the smart thing to do is to tell as many people as we can about our goals so that they will hold us to them, and this sort of makes sense. However, psychology tests conducted over the period of a century have come to the conclusion that
    “telling someone your goals makes them less likely to happen”.

When you have a goal, there are usually many obstacles that you must go through in order to achieve them. In an ideal situation, you would not feel any satisfaction at all until you had gone through these obstacles.

Here is the thing, when you tell someone your goal and they acknowledge it, psychologists have found something that they call a “social reality” in which the mind tricks you into feeling that the goal is already done. When you get this short feeling of satisfaction, you are now suddenly less motivated than before to do the actual hard work necessary to achieve your goal.

Cliffs:
    -When you tell people your goal, you feel good about yourself and are less likely to follow through on the goal.
    -Normally, this feeling of satisfaction is left until you have actually accomplished your goal.
    -DON'T TELL PEOPLE YOUR GOALS

Note: this doesn't apply to everyone, however I think that a lot of people (including myself) operate in this way.

Ph.D. conducted psychology tests: http://www.psych.nyu.edu/gollwitzer/09_Gollwitzer_Sheeran_Seifert_Michalski_When_Intentions_.pdf

2. As a bonus this also stops the nagging: "When are you going to _________?"

:D

3. :smoke:

4. The only thing I get from setting goals is disappointment.

5. If they don't know your dreams, then they can't shoot them down.

6. Same with what makes you happy.

7. "If you find happiness, don't let anyone else know."

Great quote :)

8. Thanks :D I'll give you rep when I can. I came up with it by myself, unless someone before said it and I dont know. :laughing:

9. :smoke:

10. Holy fuck.

I've just fucked myself over.

11. goals and accomplishments are meaningless dribble. why waste your life winning dick measuring contests, when you can waste your life the way you actually want to.

either way, nothing changes the fact that you and every other little susie
    honor roll are going to die, and in the blink of an eye, everything you've spent your life doing becomes irrelevent. life is for the alive, afterall... /jaded

12. Someone's stuck seeing the glass half-empty.

13. Well, if we live the way you're describing, yes it will all become irrelevant when we die because everything we do would be completely selfish acts.

But some people actually work hard and accomplish things that have a lasting effect on the world and those who remain alive. Think hard, I'm sure you can come up with some examples.

14. Exactly!! :)

15. Never too late man

16. at first i thought this was a stupid article. then i thought about it and my goals do sound pretty fucking crazy to most people

17. Meh, honestly I think this effect varies from person to person. The accountability thing works pretty good for me and not disappointing people is a strong motivator.

As for the whole dick-measuring thing:

I like measuring my dick :D

18. Yeah, this applies to most people I think, but there are people who do get motivated by telling others their goals. :smoke:

19. HIGH I WAS, wanting to say I thought this was gonna be bunk but was actually ok!! I believe alot of people dont have goals and thats ok. If you make goals you got a jump on a bunch of people. I have a goal that I am so close to accomplishing and I believe I may have fallen into the trap of procrastination by telling people my goal... after a three year break I just got back on it the last week. I believe I can cash out this year if i stay focused and stop telling people my goal.. So here is my goal >>>>>>>>>>>>???????sorry i cant tell you

20. lol wat?