Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why would you want to grow?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by camram, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Some people actually like growing cannabis (and other plants) as a hobby. I actually enjoy growing cannabis, outdo and indo.

2. More affordable meds. Assurance of what has gone into the finished product.
    Plus... do we really want the production of these meds solely done by corporations so they can ass rape people for profits? Dispensaries are still under attack by this government. I don't trust anything to government for them to solely control and produce (and profit.) Do you? That is where things are headed... :(

Also, if I were in a MMJ state, and had my own grow, I would be able to try more edibles which would likely benefit my condition more. Now, in a non-mmj, I wouldn't dare buy the amounts needed to make edibles all the time. That ability would really help me out. Alas, not yet... :rolleyes::(

3. Independence, and I'd like to watch a plant grow from a seed to full bloom.

4. Glad this question was asked considering it is why I signed up in the first place...sick of paying so much to dispensaries. I'm a fairly heavy smoker ( not to mention supporting a few others habits but thats neither here nor there) and its costing me too much. I got my card almost a year ago and its put a huge dent into my bank account thats for sure. I don't know about anyone else but when I walked into a dispensary for the first time it was so overwhelming I just had to try it all( not at once lol). So over time I've been trying everything to see what is perfect for me.

Anyways, a friend of mine said he would teach me how to grow. I have an empty 15x15 room that he wants to use. Wants to basically get the most he can out of the whole room. I'm thinking about it because I would be saving a ton in the long run. What I need to know is a rough estimate of how much supplies and everything that goes into setting a room would cost..he said he wants to get 5,000 watts in there.

Anyone have any advice on where I could get the equipment and how much I should expect? I'm asking where I could get it because I'm not just handing over the money and letting him handle all of that.

5. 1) not everyone lives in a medical state, it's a hassle dealing with assholes for bud. Not to mention dry spells, that doesn't happen if you grow and plan for how much you will consume.
    2) much cheaper.
    3) assuming your beans are a legit strain from a legit supplier, you know exactly what you're smoking, you're not just raking someones word for it.
    4) better quality control (maybe not in medical states, but where bud is hard to cone by, definitely).
    5) little more specific but in relation to 4, you know your buds won't be kiffed and the potency is in tact.
    6) you can use the trim to make hash.
    7) help your friends out and put some cash in your pocket.

I'm sure there's more but those are the ones right off the top of my head. Oh yeah, and it's super rewarding to smoke your own nugs.

6. I've done the cost assessments for when we get mmj in NC.
    For $200 a person can assemble a deluxe cabinet , pick up all the soil and supplies needed (no hydo, dirt is easier and can produce comparable yields), and produce for years. If a person has access to a decent compost supply, the costs begin to drop.
    that, and a $15-25 a month increase in power utilities is all a medical patient needs to stay very medicated.

That is assuming that the person knows someone with basic power tools and the knowledge to use 'em--which are skills everyone needs to develop anyway.

7. When he was arrested in connection with his family "Chong Bongs" company police found a pound in his house

8. Not as complicated as you think. Ever wonder how complicated a gurilla grow is...add nutes to the dirt you dig up in the woods, plant the seeds, check on it every few weeks, harvest, cure, toke...all in a 6-9 month time frame. Very easy stuff.

Hydro grow, easier, big reservoir helps.
    I use jiffy peat pellets, sprout, place in the bucket, add 'stones' and fill up the reservoir then add nutes according the direction (easy to read even). Change water and nutes 3 times.
    first fill, medium, add more nutes as it uses water.
    second fill (1st change) is a mid point veg mix
    3rd fill is for flower nute mix
    4th fill (3rd change) is about a week before harvest, with pure RO water (or distilled, but ph balanced tap water will do)

out of this time, and minimal effort, you can get 1/4 lb off one plant [my best was 9.2 ounces off one Orange Bud plant, that's just over a half pound, woot] or up to pound of herb from 2-4 plants (this is every 6 months):D

Now as with all plants, there are tricks, little nuances to improve aspects of the herd (total harvest, quality, taste, smells) and 'pro' growers clone, which can be tricky. Pro growers will also breed, force a hermie to get feminized seeds...all good things, but the novice doesn't have to go there, just buy seeds or use some bag seeds (if you get any).:wave:

Give it a 'grow' and discover the joy of providing your own medicine.;)

[stones - hydroton expanded clay pellets or just plain old gravel or pebbles (washed well of course)]

9. I mean it sounds easy but if it were so easy, why does herb quality vary so much from different dispensaries?

10. It is easy and as far as bud quality being varied?

I dunno, clubs around here its all top shelf. The only variety is if you want outdoor dank or indoor dank and strain types but its all dank.

I've never seen a club with bad weed.

11. Does Cali use the term 'club'?

12. Club, Co-op, Dispensary loosely all associated and the same thing depending.

Though a Co-op should really be an actual co-operative but they are all just dispensaries.

These places cant get away with selling bad weed..i wonder if you really even know about weed quality and maybe expect it to all look exactly the same or something?

Your comment made it seem like the bud in clubs was bad and even the $5 a gram shit is better then most the crap you see on the street.

13. Disagree. I've seen medicine that was way too dry and some that was discolored a little.

14. #34 Husky42, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    discolored? what do you mean discolored? And too dry? Again, a long good cure and some of the fluffier buds just dry. What do you want? It cut off the tree and put in your lap the next day? Does not work that way. Up here, a lot of the clubs go a long way to provide the best cannabis out there. This insures proper cures of 30-60 days minimum and 5-10 day drying periods. Anything less is well, less.

Im not saying there are crappy dispensaries there or here i'm sure there are, but there are great ones as well

15. I have never had a child, but I know what it feels like to bring something beautiful to this nasty world. Also, you can control potency when you grow. Your looking to love and care for the buds, a local dealer or dispensary is looking to get more and more to make more and more $$. I have heard some dealers curing in the microwave..

16. +1 on the grow your own. Keep the government out of it. It's cheap.
    Even hydro seems simple, as cball points out above. I never looked at hydro since it all looked complicated.
    If someone wanted to keep a grow on the DL, legal or not, is there any place to get the pH up/pH down and nutes that's not an online source or a grow shop? like, are there any brands that can be found in Lowes, Home Depot, or department stores?
    (sorry, I know it's a little off topic, I'm not trying to hijack the thread honest!)

17. well for me, the only mmj law in my state, is one that you can only claim medical necessity in court and end up paying a fine....so its either buy it illegally or grow it...its much cheaper to grow

18. Growing isnt hard if you know what your doing and have a place to grow.

19. Growing your own is cheaper period end of discussion. I'm a new grower and I though the same things you did but if I want to go to the pot store as I like to call it I can spend 270.00 per oz. I can grow it for half that.