Why would Satan want to torture sinners?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by feudalism, Nov 15, 2011.

1. If Satan was kicked out of heaven for refusing to follow God why would he want to be a dick to people who think like him?

2. [quote name='"CAVERN"']If Satan was kicked out of heaven for refusing to follow God why would he want to be a dick to people who think like him?[/quote]

I can see where your coming from. But you gotta remember, he was kicked out because he would not bow down to humans because he believed we were flawed, which we are but thats besides the point. My point is that he hates humans for getting him kicked out because he wouldnt bow down to an inferior species.

3. [quote name='"DrewDizzle69"']

I can see where your coming from. But you gotta remember, he was kicked out because he would not bow down to humans because he believed we were flawed, which we are but thats besides the point. My point is that he hates humans for getting him kicked out because he wouldnt bow down to an inferior species.[/quote]

Yeaaa fuck humans

4. It's been a long time since I've actually read the Bible, but I think the line of thought is that he would be a dick to absolutely anyone he could get his hands on, but his power is limited in such a way that he only gets his hands on those who God wants him to get his hands on. He also has minions so I don't know where they fit in, but I suppose you could say that being damned to a life of torturing others is in itself a torture so they're covered as well. Again, I'm just pulling that out of my ass but, hey, that's probably what a Christian would do too. :rolleyes:

5. If a god created everything, and he loved everyone, why would he create some evil bastard to torture people for him?

6. First you have to believe that the devil is a separate entity in order to answer your question; which I do not. The devil is just a name for the evil that exists in the world. No one person can be the devil.

And then you have to define what hell is.

7. In order to adapt, we need to face obstacles. Without obstacles, we will never adapt. You might perceive it as evil, but all it is, is a challenge to induce the survival of the fittest.

8. For the lulz?

Orrrr.....because he created everything and loves everything. The thing about everything is that everything exists only in relation to something else. Dark cannot be without light, left cannot exist without right, "I" cannot be without "everything else," and good cannot be without evil. To love everything is to love the dichotomy, not just half of it.

If we want, we can take it a step further back and say that God only "brought Satan into being" because God cannot exist without anti-God. His existence is conditional upon the existence of his opposite, like the peak and trough of a wave. Presumption of an all-loving creator entity necessitates the presumption of an all-hating destroyer entity.

Again, all pulled out of my ass. But, it's fun to play devil's advocate. :rolleyes:

PS: Holy shit, I finally used the phrase "devil's advocate" in the literal sense. :smoke:

9. Sure it can if God is all powerful and all knowing he could have easily made a world without his personal torture agent.

10. This "religion" stuff again...

Hellll naaahh

11. Then he wouldn't be "good" or "evil," as there would be no scale on which to define "good." It wouldn't even be conceivable. Thus, a "good" God necessitates the existence of evil. For the quality to exist, its opposite must also.

12. No there doesn't he's all powerful he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

13. You're missing the point sir. If you can really define "good" as anything that doesn't essentially boil down to "not bad" then be my guest, but the categories are intertwined.

So, God creates this universe with "no suffering." But then, being-just-kinda-happy becomes the new "suffering". So then, he creates a new universe without being-just-kinda-happy, but then being-a-little-bit-more-than-just-kinda-happy becomes the new being-just-kinda-happy....and so on.

If you want happiness to exist, so must unhappiness - no matter where you put the spectrum. ;)

14. That makes perfect sense if you don't really think about it.

15. [quote name='"Postal Blowfish"']

That makes perfect sense if you don't really think about it.[/quote]

What? Hahaha

16. Because Satan wants to bring other people down with him by deceiving/accusing/tempting/etc. Satan suffers in hell too.

Misery loves company.

17. [quote name='"Meursault"']

If you want happiness to exist, so must unhappiness - no matter where you put the spectrum. ;)[/quote]

I agree with what your saying but then how can it be that people are depressed or sad all the time?

If that was correct then does that mean that depression doesn't really exist how we think it does but is more of a perception problem?

18. I think the devil thing is largely metaphorical.

Perhaps when people die and see the true nature of their own actions through fleshless eyes and they can actually feel the suffering that they have inflicted on others firsthand, perhaps some are not able to reconcile with their effects on others so they are spiritually tormented by their own waves of suffering. Thank God for Jesus right?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_3nArjlOU[/ame]

Spread Love

19. If someone could show me where the Bible talks about Satan being kicked out of heaven, and then again where it talks about Satan torturing people in hell, I would appreciate it.

You're first clue, it doesn't talk about how Satan fell from Heaven, the Koran does. You're on your own with the other.

Satan isn't an actual being. Satan is akin to the Maya of Hinduism.

20. #20 1Trismegistus1, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
    It's too bad that omnipotent means having all power, and not Infinite power. As in, having control over the finite powers of a finite Universe, which obviously isn't infinite power.

But I've already said it before in another thread, if someone cannot comprehend the necessity of suffering then they are a piss poor philosopher.

Why does everyone who smokes weed and has some stupid stoner thoughts think they are suddenly a philosopher? Try philosophizing with a clear mind, it might help if you can do it. If you need weed to have profound realizations, then you aren't a philosopher lol. Likewise the achievement of becoming a true philosopher is dependent on the inner state of consciousness, up until that point one is just a thinker.

It is also worth mentioning the difference between a philosopher and a sophist, many people on here fall under the latter category.