Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why wont the government legalize marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Kid Jay, Jan 11, 2014.

1. I just watched the union and maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't think they addressed this question directly. They presented lots of reasons to why it should be legal, but if those are true why doesn't the government just legalize it? I know lots of people are making a lot of money out of the prohibition but from what I understood the US government is actually spending several billions of dollars on enforcing marijuana laws etc, so what reasons are there for them to keep the prohibition? I don't understand.

2. In the end its money. Aside from what hemp could do to big business, taxation of mj is a problem for the gov. Hard to tax something that most people can grow easily, and that can also damage big corporations the gov already has its hands in. In fact that is probably why the tax will be so high on rec mj. To make back money they aren't getting from home growers.

When the government is involved the usual answer is greed.

3. Then how come Colorado managed to legalize it? I'm not sure how these things work, but I assume the government can stop it if it wants to.

4. Well I was mainly talking a federal level. Colorado/Washington are legal at the state level, but federally not so much. The federal gov basically said they won't get involved, but that does not mean they CANNOT get involved. If the DEA wanted to knock down doors they still could.

5. why would we want them to legalize it? the goverment is already fucking with your vegitibles  youn know growth hormones, gho's if they get their hands on weed, who knows what theyll do they for sure will try to make them save money , and we all know if ther goverment gets their hands on it, they wont keep it natural like jsu growing, there gonna make it grow faster and fuck it up like everyother foods, in american and canada fuck....SHIT

6. #6 Towelie., Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
    Hemp is easy to grow and has lots of uses, medicine, food, clothing etc.
    I think that what they spend on enforcing those MJ-laws is lower than that they would lose if everyone knew the uses of Hemp and didn't just take all the propaganda BS that the GOV is pushing down our throat.

Money, Power, Greed.

7. [quote name="liv33vil" post="19320229" timestamp="1389453946"]Well I was mainly talking a federal level. Colorado/Washington are legal at the state level, but federally not so much. The federal gov basically said they won't get involved, but that does not mean they CANNOT get involved. If the DEA wanted to knock down doors they still could.[/quote]Exactly, so why don't they? They're basically allowing legalization to happen, which doesn't make sense after all these years and all the effort they've made to keep it illegal.

8. [quote name="DopeGame" post="19320232" timestamp="1389454000"]why would we want them to legalize it? the goverment is already fucking with your vegitibles youn know growth hormones, gho's if they get their hands on weed, who knows what theyll do they for sure will try to make them save money , and we all know if ther goverment gets their hands on it, they wont keep it natural like jsu growing, there gonna make it grow faster and fuck it up like everyother foods, in american and canada fuck....SHIT[/quote]You have a point, but I'm sure all the people doing jail time because of weed would disagree with you. And you can find quality food anywhere, if you want to. Plus, if the government sold shitty weed no one would buy it, we could just grow it.

9. Short answer... To many of the wrong people have shares in the right company's.

If it was fully legalised the timber and medical industry would take a hit, and the rich guys would lose money.

10. #10 liv33vil, Jan 11, 2014
    I see it as kind of an unofficial trial for the federal government. If it goes well, and is profitable they will likely accept it and move forward. If it fails for some reason, they can step in and have the ol "I told ya so" handy.  

11. Pharmaceutical companies would go broke because marijuana can do alot of properties that other illicit drugs can do ,with tthis happening the DEA cannot regulate these pharmaceutical companies and turn a proft.Also you do not have to pay for doctor visits ,remember not everyone is smart enough to chemicaly isolate many compounds wich modern science is so enamored by ,it is way easier to grow your medicine in your back yard.This is just a little part of why it is not not legalized.

No one wants to get blamed or accept responsibility for anything in our government. Look at their track record on... just about anything that isn't corporate backed... The debt ceiling debacle, healthcare, even transportation.. 

13. #13 budquest, Jan 11, 2014

I don't think it's that devious... There are already FDA approved extractions of THC... I think it's more a matter of our government not being able to agree on anything. They all vote based on party lines rather than on what their constituents actually desire or what is good for the country. The government has shut down several times in the past two years because they couldn't even approve an increase in the debt ceiling. This caused downgrading of the US credit rating. They sure as shit don't want to vote on marijuana.

14. It is because the government only legalizes things that they either make money on or is bad for us. if the federal government legalizes marijuana then they run the risk of the majority of people growing their own, causes them To get no profit. In the end, the government wants us to devolve into a non-thinking, uniform, identical race that they have complete control over. Pot makes people think, it opens their eyes. Before I smoked pot I was just another blind slave consenting to the governments wants. The last thing they want is us to think. So why would they legalize it if they make no money and it leads us to open thinking and realization? People need to wake the fuck up from the American dream.Vivo y Dejo Muerto

15. Historically, the Government has always been a good decade behind mass political movements. It takes time just like anything else. My advice for you is to continue to help legalization in your states by doing everything you can, and be patient.

16. They legalized by referendum, or by legal voters voting for the bill on the ballot. The Fed government will never put legalization up for referendum because there is a very high chance it will pass. 58% of Americans support legalization or something. 

Or 50 years behind mass political movements.. Didn't this push begin in the 60's??

18. The political movement didn't really gain traction until now. twenty years ago, your life would have been ruined if you said on nation television that you support weed, look at it now. I seem to see a new case every day.

Didn't Bill Clinton say he smoked weed about 20 years ago?

20. Huge difference between saying you smoked it once when you were a kid, didn't inhale, and don't smoke it currently. And saying that your in support of the Legalization movement. One they take it as if you were a once irresponsible kid, but responsible now. And the other making you look like a dirty, foolish, pot smoking hippie to the uneducated folk.