Why wont my seeds germinate

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ambercolt05, Oct 29, 2014.

1. I am a complete growing virgin. I have tried to read every forum and watch YouTube videos before I stated so that I wouldn't be stuck like I am now. I'm using less than 6 month old bagseeds to start. I have 6 seeds in the process of germinating. I am using the darkest seeds that I have and I scratched them, and presoaked them in warm 6.0 pH water for about 10 hours. I don't have pH down so I'm using apple cider vinegar for ph down and baking soda for pH up just temporarily.I noticed that it doesn't stabilize the pH for long so I correct the pH as soon as I notice the change. I now have the seeds in between 2 damp cotton circles that are between 2 Styrofoam plate that is on top of a glass cup half filled with water on top of a candle warmer. I know that sounds like a lot but my thinking was that I have no area in my apartment that is warm enough for the seeds to crack and root, and I don't want to put them on the candle warmer by itself because they will burn so I'm using the water in the cup to send the humidified warm air to the bottom of the plate where the seeds are so they keep warm. I've been doing this for the past 3 days and they still haven't cracked. Am I doing something wrong? Am I screwing with them too much? I have a wash cloth on top of the plate to try to ensure it is as dark as possible. I even added a diluted drop off superthrive to the presoak water just for good measure but I'm still not getting anything.
    Should I keep trying the way I have been?
    Are they just bad seeds and I should start over?
    Is there a better way to germinate?
    I am going for a bubble dwc system

2. Just try putting them in soil and see if they grow. I have like year old seeds that I just put straight to soil and there growing fine.

3. the plates method worked quickly for me.......just get a piece of damp tissue on a plate, pop the seeds on top, take another piece of damp tissues and place that over them, then place another plate on top and put them somewhere warm and dark....check em 12 hours later, maybe spray a little water on the tissues if they are drying out.....leave another 12 hours, should see most if not all of em germinated within 48 hours max..if not, then it could be bad genetics. 

4. #4 ambercolt05, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    If I stick them in dirt do I need to have them on a light cycle or does it stay dark. I have also seem a lot of pros an con's of using a dome during the first week. Is that something that has worked for you? I have them in my closet in a grow box just so I can manage the temp more than just having them in the closet.

5. You're over thinking it dude. Throw em in soil in a windowsill and they'll be fine...

6. Definitely over thinking it.

1. Some older seeds can take 1-2 weeks to sprout, however I have had most pop in 24-48 hours.

2. Ph is not your problem right now. All they care about is what or dry and not freezing.

3. What do you mean you scratched them?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I read on another forum that if you scratch the seed with sandpaper just a bit and carefully so you don't hit the embryo the scratching will make the shell weaker thereby letting moisture in quicker and making the taproot come out quicker.
    I know I'm over thinking it but nothing I do seems to work.

8. I have some in soil now, do I need to have a light cycle or a dome?

9. Nope! I never use domes and a steady light cycle isn't necessary until there's leaves above the ground.

10. Just an update. I wasn't comfortable with stickinhgb the seeds in soil because I couldn't micromanage them and peek in on the progress.I've stuck with the paper towel method and I'm finally seeing all of them crack and the taproot coming out so thanks for the advice.

11. I always wrap the seeds in moist (not wet) papertowels. Put them in a ziplock bag and set it on the back top of my cable/pvr box (gets warm). Always worked for me. :)

12. ... *___*

You're in for a long grow dude...

13. Yeah I know. I really wanted to stick to a hydroponic system but it just seems more and more that soil just seems easier

14. You gotta walk before you can run mate...

15. I never used domes either...... 17 years later still payin for that mistake lol. Oh shit wrong dome mentioned!

16. Yea keep it simple for sure, plop said seeds in a cup of water, check every 12 hours to see if you got taps...... get taps and plant.

17. I put all 5 of mine straight into soil no germination ps and they sprouted within days

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Oh man, I just had roots show this morning on a fresh batch of clones... I like them so much Better than seeds. Lol

19. I was outdoor so the light cycle was natural. about 12 hours of a light a day were having, Sunrise at 5am Sunset 6:10pm