Why wont my clones root?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by STilladelph, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Bought 5 clones and put them into my 5 gallon, 5 site DWC system, with some rooting stimulant under my 1000w hps woith cool tube. They all wilted away after a few days. I tore them out and told myself i was gonna do it right this time.

I built my own bubble cloner, just big enough for 6 small clones. I bought some clones with small, but somewhat established roots, in coco, along with some Clonex gel. I removed them from their coco, rinsed the roots in RO water, dipped them in the clonex, then stuck them in the little 2inch netpots with some hydroton and neoprene collars, where they are now.

Water in the bubble cloner is about 70F degrees, i have a single CFL bulb over them, and it has a cover on it so it acts as a humidity dome. I keep pH at 5.6-5.7, however it swings almost an entire 1.0 within a few hours.

Its been 3 days and now 3 of these once very healthy looking clones. Are slumping and unhappy. I cannot figure out for the life of me why!

2. I heard hps are finishers .

I would blame the light...
    you need to check the temp and humidity .

and making sure the cloning juice worked...

3. Well its sitting in my living room under a lamp so im gonna guess about 75 degrees up top, 70 degrees in the water.

I dont have a small enough hydrometer to fit in there so i dont really know the humidity but i keep it well misted with RO water.

4. yeah that sounds like some brutal light for clones unless its like 20ft in the air. I'd recommend just getting a CFL for cloning like this.

You can use half a two-liter as a humidity dome for individual clones if you don't already have a humidity dome. You can take the cap off to let a little air in/out

5. Do you have holes in that cloner ? Sounds like temp maybe too high

6. The light killed your clones. 100%. I find clones do the best with little light until they start to show roots. So like the other mentioned a cfl is perfect. And not even close to the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you guys not able to see the pictures in tge OP? They are under a single CFL.

8. I usually just float my clones in styrofoam in tap water under some cfls until they start to get some roots.

9. The two on the left look good. You're not being very patient. It takes a good week to get any roots. The clones almost always yellow and have leaves fall off until they get roots. It's common for mine to take 10-14 days to have healthy roots where I would consider transplanting them.

I like your home made machine. I would move the light further away and give them a little darkness, maybe 4 hours. I also give all my clones a very light few drops of nutrients. Maybe 1ml.

10. Thanks for the info. Water was getting pretty nasty from the reminisce of the coco and the Clonex gel so i changed it out with some fress water. 3 of them are just slumped over right now :/

11. It could be a number of things. The water temp should be around 70-75. The containers should be light proof as light will kill the roots. What are you using to keep the stems wet? Bubbler or sprayers. This might be your issue. I use an ezcloner and keep my temps in range and ph to 5.8-6. Once I cut from mother I cut at a 45 degree angle and then scrape a bit of the outer layer of skin from the stem. Dip in cloning gel then into the cloner. I have 95% success rate. You should be using CFL or t8/5 for cloning. The spectrum should be around 6500k as it promote veg. Run the lights for 18 hr. You can mist the plants if they look like they are in hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app