Why We Are Here

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ThePhantom, Nov 6, 2009.

1. A few days ago I was high, and I was overwhelmed with this crazy feeling. I thought, "The reason I am thinking right now, the reason I am here right now, is because either all the matter in the Universe has been here for eternity, or it was created from nonexistence." It just made me realize how absolutely insane life is. How could matter exist for eternity? Where would it have come from in that case? And if it was created from nothing, that question still applies. It's just so crazy, and no matter what, that question will exist for all our lives, and we may or may not ever learn the answer.

The point of this is, appreciate life. From an objective probabilistic point of view, all odds are that we should NOT be here. It should have just been nonexistence for eternity. Yet for some reason we are here. IT IS INSANE!

2. Man i am always thinking that. It's like your brain does a loop and it's so hard to think about. I mean if there was nothing, where did that nothing come from to begin with.

So strange.

3. Existence is fucking insane. Stuff, besides nonexistent, would be really boring without it.

4. There is no way life could have existed without it being insane. It's just so weird that with everything working against existence, it still came up. CRAZY!

5. Existence is futile.

6. How do we even know that we are in deed, existing?

7. Cogito, ergo sum.

8. So if I did not think, what would happen? Would I just fail to exist?

9. Due to my inability to avoid over confusion with my own words, I'll use the video footage of movie 'The Matrix' to offer up one possible reason as to why we can't escape these cyclical thinking patterns:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCPvJ8PyAk"]YouTube - The Matrix - Red or Blue Pill You Decide?[/ame]

10. If you could somehow manage not to think, then perhaps.

11. This is a regular topic on my mind. Finally i came to the conclusion that the human mind is simply unable to comprehend "nothingness". Why do we assume that if we learned the truth about our existence, that we would even begin to understand it.

12. I sometimes just totally lose touch with reality during normal day to day life.
    I'll be doing something and then all of a sudden absolute objective perception suddenly hits me. I don't know who the fuck I am nor do I care. I don't know what the fuck existence is , and what I am. It's hard to explain. It's pretty scary though.
    If there was no existence , You'd have to ask why there is no existence. If there is existence , you'd have to ask why there is existence. Either way it's very strange. Either way , there's still a question to be answered.
    Existence is incomprehensible , as is the lack thereof.
    Reality is strange , as is the lack thereof.
    'Nothing' is just as comprehensible to the human mind than 'Everything' is.

13. Why are we here? Because were here roll the bones!

HAHA just had to qoute that terrible Rush song.

Serious: Why? For no reason other than being here.

14. I think that all the time OP, i cant help it sometimes i get stoned and just send myself into a loophole of pondering. Sometimes i can get into deep conversations like this with other people, and theres nothing you can do to figure it out. The reason we're here? There is none basically, and it really bothers me how unimportant average joe human beings like you and me are. I mean i can so drastically change the world in the smallest ways, without even thinking of it. It blows my mind.

15. your question just made me trip ballzzz. i just started screaming once i finally understood what your were saying hahaha.

16. It's impossible to have objective preception. Your fooling yourself

17. we are in an illusion

as we are in this "dream" we do have reasons for existing

everyone has a purpose whether Negative or Positive

peace:smoke:

18. we'll bitch now. die, then bitch more

19. "Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."

Yes, yes, I agree. Great post.

20. #20 Miklelottesen, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
    Mathematically it all adds up. Everything consists of energy and for energy to exist, there must be an equal amount of negative and positive charges creating this energy. The universe might have an ending, but since the universe is everything there is it could only possibly end in nothingness which means that the universe doesn't actually have an ending and is therefore infinite. That leaves us with this equation:

(+∞) + (-∞)

Isolated properly we get:
    ∞ - ∞ = 0

In that sence everything is exactly the same as nothing. The only difference between the universe (everything) and nothing is that in the universe, negative and positive values are kept apart while in "nothing" they have merged and cancels each other out. In other words, the universe is the equation while "nothing" is the result. In a way I find this to be a very logical and reasonable explanation on how something can come out of nothing and vice versa.