WHY WAS MY YIELD SO LOW

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bluntzfosho, Jan 9, 2014.

1. My stalks was so huge it was rediculous my stalks was as big around as the cylinders that pull screen doors shut, so I wont break the stems.  But the lights couldnt reach the bottom so I had to pull leaves and trim branches.  They was extremely close to the light. Most of them grew to about 6 ft.

2. Now it was mentioned you had some airy bids and dense buds,
    where off the plants did the airy buds grow?

On the bottems of all the plants? Maybe the plants in this cornor had more airy buds?

If it was like a specific area in the room that had airy buds, I would blame a lack of fresh air.

Plants need a good supply of air, a lack of will promote slower growing and airy buds.

Other than this thought, your bulbs being old or possible cheap could be an issue.
    And do you have any daylight spectrum bulbs? Maybe invest on some MH to hang inbetween plants to focus on the blue spectrum.

3. If i can remember the airier buds was along side the edges, but not on all the plants......I have Metal halide bulbs, maybe I can use both bulbs during flowering

4. I know for me airy buds meant not enough light.
    2 pounds 12 plants Geez i need to start a journal. The most I've ever had were 2 oz off 1 plant. 2LBs i gotta be doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. man I didnt pull what i should have......but it was more than enough

6. Can't be bothered flicking through this but mh are more suited for veg and hps for flower, not sure if it's been said but there. :)Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Thats absolutely true, but the plants enjoy both ends of the spectrum throughout all stages of growing.

I believe the theroy is in fall when plants begin to flower and bloom the Earth is typically tilted at an angle which makes sunlight more red dominant. Mornings and evenings have more red light too, less blue.

But the plants still get a good quanity of blue light in the fall, and shouldn't be completely ruled out.

8. I understand what everyone is saying. Every suggestion will increase yield. It will however only increase by like 2 to 10%

He is looking for like 500% increase, and I think the answer is training.

yeah in an 8x10 I would suggest at the very least 4k watts. that's still not very much light for that area. seeing as the sun emits about 130 watts per sqft on either side of the equator, you should be shooting close to there. if you could squeeze in 6x600watters that would be a better, more even spread of light and whats wrong with a bit more light??

10. Thanks guys for the help.  New studies show that Hps and metal halide bulbs doesnt hAve to much of a difference during veg like he said.  But I do use Metal Halide during veg and Hps during flowering.  I think im gonna mix up the bulbs this flower.  Im also gonna focus most of my attention on training, since That seems to be the left out factor.

11. Yea man Ive got 6 plants in roughly a 8x8 area under 4000 watts, the minimum Im looking to pull is a 1 P a light, and Im extremly lowballing myself........Ill be happy with 2 Ps a light, And I scrog and train my plants and dont use Co2. My next run Im gonna grow this super sweet pheno of blue dream I have and try to run Co2 and I know Ill be able to blow my numbers I get from this run away on the next one lol

12. Metal halide gives off a lot less light than HPS so I wouldn't use them in flowering if you can use HPS instead. 

As for the low yield it certainly wasn't because lack of light. Disregarding the CFLs as they aren't going to do shit in this scenario, having 2600 watts of HPS should give out 4 pounds easily regardless of the size of the area..

Looking at the photos is the best way to figure out any problems but they aren't opening for me. Looking at the thumbnails I would guess you weren't pushing enough air through the water and possibly had your ppm too high. 

Where were you taking the temperature reading from? You should measure it at the top of the canopy, right below the lights, the hottest part of the plants.

Did you have fans circulating the air properly? And also fans replacing spent air with fresh? 

13. I don't know what "bucket depletion" means but if you mean you allowed the reservoirs to run dry or very low then that could have been your downfall. If the roots dry they stop functioning, permanently. It's the equivalent of cutting a considerable portion of your roots off

14. so if you don't mind i would like to take a crack at your problem.  first I believe that your temps in the room are fine to run without any c02. You shouldn't actually need c02 unless planning to run your plants above 85 degrees and or have poor air circulation.  Seeing as you have fresh air and keeping temps low enough we can rule that out. (Yes you can increase yield by running higher temps with C02 but will use much more water and much speedier vigorous growth)   Your lighting seems fine to pull a couple lbs,  my rule of thumb is you should shoot for an lb per 1000 watts HID use,  Given that your lights are low enough to get good penetration so you can get great tight node growth.  So maybe lower lights a little may increase some yield.  Hmm for nutes i go with fox farms and have no knowledge of the stuff you use so can't really help there except say to flush every week and cut back on your nutes about week 3 to half of what you would normal give.  One question I do have is are you vegging under these same lights? or just under cfl's or tubes? because you will greatly increase yield if you veg under a metal halide, get plant to about 12 to 18 inches before flower and let her go.  One other thing, Strain has a big factor in yield as well, so if your strain is constantly at a low yield, ditch it and start up something new.