Why Transplant? Is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HansMoleman, Jan 27, 2008.

1. I'm wondering why people generally transplant. I heard its more for if you are planting clones? Why can't you just grow a seed from a big pot the whole way through? Is this a bad idea?

2. You could do that if you wanted to, it is just that it is more efficient to transplant when needed. This way you save space and money on soil, nutes, etc.

3. smaller pots take up less space so you can keep the lights closer...= faster growth

smaller pots mean you dont have to water as much= easier

trasnplanting really doesnt slow or stunt growth at all if done right

when transplanting, new soild organic nutes can be added to the new soil= feeding plants with no chance of root burn and with nutes that are most appropriate

I transplant twice

from party cups to 1.5gl pots to 5 gal pots

add nitrogen rich nutes first time, P and K rich nutes the second time

4. one additional advantage to starting in small containers is that you can control the moisture of the soil more easily. a small root structure in a big pot of wet dirt can (will) often rot.

5. the main reason you put seeds/clones into small pots are for the root structure.
    you want to get a healthy rootball which you can only get by potting up in small pots then transplanting to the next size ,get another healthy rootball then transplant into your final size pot.
    i use 3 sizes so transplanted twice;)

6. ^All true, and more specifically it is easier for you to deliver water (and ferts, at such time as is appropriate) to a small plant in a small pot than in a large pot.

If you have a seedling in a large pot, the roots are still pretty close to the surface. When you water, the water trickles all the way through the soil leaving the top drier than the bottom. This could cause you to underwater your plant. And even if you water the large pot more frequently, the roots will begin growing deeper, so you will need to taper off on the watering. Which is fine if you have a magic ability to know exactly when to do this, but it's easier to control the soil moisture around the roots of a small plant when it is in a small pot than when it is in a large one.

7. excellent shit guys, this should be stickied!

8. I have done solo cups 16oz for seed germination, then to 2 liter bottles for veg and then 3 gallons for flower. Think about that stretch in the first 2 weeks of flower, wouldn't open soil space be good for a plant that is increasing in size by almost double???? It needs more roots to go along with that spurt of growth so having space to develop that I think is vital to getting a truly healthy and high quality/yielding plant.