Why The World Trade Center?

Discussion in 'General' started by flower_child, Sep 27, 2006.

1. I was just sitting here thinking, and it came to mind that it doesn't seem to make sense that terrorists would go for the Trade Center.

I mean, if I were planning on making a huge dent in American Freedom; if I really wanted to hit America where it would hurt the most, I would have gone for the Statue of Liberty.

Why was the Trade Center a target? I understand the Pentagon, and (supposedly) The White House, but the Trade Center?

I was thinking, if our government was in fact behind 9/11 (not saying they were or weren't. I'm really not sure anymore) perhaps they couldn't bring themselves to hit the Statue of Libery. To me, it seems like the one place a terrorist would want to destroy, but even if I can fathom the government destroying the towers, I can't fathom any American citizen, weather they love or hate America, destroying the Statue of Liberty. But I think any terrorist would make that their top priority.

Perhaps this is another indicator that terrorists weren't behind 9/11...

2. the trade centers represent the wealthyness and the striving economy of the U.S. and thats what they hate about the U.S. they want to strike peoples nerves with TERROR and the statue of liberty wouldnt acomplish that

3. They're dumb as shit. They think the more people they kill is how they'll get a point across which is somewhat true bue I think they were just going for a huge symbol in America with killing a mass number of people, or letting us know what kind of power they think they have over us. I mean idk im not really big into politics but thats my opinion.

4. A) the impact of life, the WTC contained alot of people

B) a symbol of capitalist economy

C) a sign of american impearlism and dominance both economic and physically

5. theres so many reasons why they picked the wtc im sure someones already said them i havnt read the other posts im just confused on why you would think they would blow up a statue? yes i understand it stands for freedom..but common that was a gift fuck it:hello: jk

6. WTC - economic power of US
    White House - where US policy is made(where flight 93 was said to be heading)
    Pentagon - military power

7. It's definately because of the mass of people that were in the WTC, as well as the potential damage to the economy that entailed with attacking the WTC.

And I really don't mean to be harsh. But all the conspiracy theories are retarded as hell, please don't beleive them, or atleast do a little research on the other side. I suppose you've seen Loose Change, it was originally designed to be fiction and has been heavily disproven. As much as I can't stand the Bush administration, its not that they wouldn't, but they couldn't get away with something of that scale.

8. i really dont think it was soley because of the mass of people because theres alot eaiser targets with more people like the super bowl or any sporting events really but im tired of hearing the conspiracies also since none of them have something that the goverment was after

9. my only explanation to why they would target the WTC is because... well, it is the World.. Trade... Center!

thousands of high-profiled and educated American's report there for work every day, an the place has money written all over it.

10. population control... the terroists aren't really angry about the wealth of AMerica, they'rer just upset at how many Americans are around.. so they wanted to knock a couple out.

11. do you understand how huge those buildings were? it contained so many buildings, it definately hurt the economy and there are lots of people.

12. I agree with the fact that they hit it to get as many people as possible and as a symbol against the American economy. But also I think they knew that the way in which the world trade center was built would lead to its collapse more easier than other skyscrapers, I saw a show on this once explaining why they collapsed.

13. yeap.

14. I don't want this to come across as a personal attack, but they are in no means, dumb as shit. For anyone to have even considered this and then to actually go through and pull off 2 out of 3 of the planned attempts, really says something about the magnitude of these people. I am in no means a supporter of terrorism, but I always try to put myself into the shoes of other people to understand what they are thinking.

Putting myself into their shoes, do you think that they feel they are on the "bad" or "evil" side? I wouldn't. They all feel they are fighting a war and in their eyes, I am sure they are looking at themselves as liberators and freedom fighters for their cause. I think the most important thing to consider is what if in the end, whatever the end is, they are the winners? The winners get to write the history books.

As for the main topic at hand, the World Trade Center is a universal icon. While the White House and the Pentagon are structures of importance for our nation, the World Trade Center would not only strike out at us, but those people that are supporting us as well. And you have to remember that the WTC is in one of the biggest cities in our nation. I think they wanted to prove a point that if they can hit something in such a "secure" area, imagine the possibilities of what is to come.

I hope I haven't offended anyone in my posts. Its just that I feel that the only way we will ever be able to end this war is to understand where the other side is coming from. Ignorance leads to misunderstandings which then leads to war. And from an international perspective, understanding one another is the biggest goal to attaining peace.