Why the US need a big military, and keep using it.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zylark, May 7, 2011.

1. We like to cast noose strings down to countries that will not obey us.

When the puppet-master moves his fingers, the puppet has no choice but to dance to his will.

2. Power doesn't only come from strength of arms... Again, this question is a fallacy. One power doesn't need to govern world trade and dominate world politics. One power doesn't need to force the rest of the world to bend to its will.

The better alternative involves countries trading and exchanging with each other freely. It does not involve bombing and attacking each other. Violence begets violence. Also, if you're going to make the argument from history, I must remind you that just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't happen or is some rosy-red tinted kumbaya fantasy.

A superpower holding people at gunpoint isn't required to facilitate free trade and prosperity for the people of Earth. The United States occupying dozens of countries around the world isn't even close to the best possible situation. The United States executing people in dozens of countries around the world isn't even close to the best possible situation. The United States holding people illegally in secret prisons all around the world isn't even close to the best possible situation. Some of the actions perpetrated by the United States, both within the US and in other countries around the world, are downright evil. Admitting faults is nice, but how about some justice?

Our society allows for all of the things I have named. These actions (and many more I have not mentioned) are anything but tolerant, innovative, prosperous, or pro-freedom. The United States has hidden loads of different things from the world. Many of these horrendous actions have come out of the woodwork, but how many remained uncovered/secret?

3. we're just primitive these years. i think i should have been born about 300 years before or after now.

4. Without reading anything from this thread except a few bits from the first post, I have a very important thought for you all to ponder.

Why do you believe America is the perfect leader? What gives America the right to invade other countries and take over, peaceful or not? While helping countries in trouble is okay, anything beyond that makes YOU the bad guys. It's not your country, and so it's not your choice to decide the outcome of anything in any other country.

The one thing that gets me about you Americans is that you feel like you need everything. And it's destroying the world.

5. You americans? as if we're all the same? piss off

6. British, Dutch, Spanish, French, and Italian colonialism already destroyed the world a long time ago. Notice how the most henious of places are those where arbitrary lines were drawn by Europeans, not Americans.

7. ^Can you give an example of when America invaded without the intent of helping?

8. Although not directed at me I'll answer

Afghanistan for one, don't really know what you constitute as invading. If you count invading with missiles, then there are countless countries, like Syria for instance.

I would like to point out, although our leaders love to spin the whole "we invade to help" thing is invading another country really helping them at all? Or are they just saying that, because of an ulterior motive? I tend to believe the latter, because the government has a track record of being very deceitful.

Pertaining to the OP, no you didn't convince me, please try again.

9. the OP isn't American.

Most of the folks arguing with him are..

10. Stupid is stupid.

11. Should have just stopped here then.

12. We only invade out of self interest.

13. ...Afghanistan we helped the world by suppressing terrorism. Syria we are trying to stop a genocide. Iraq we took out a dictator who poisoned thousands of people of no reason. I don't understand how America doesn't help.

14. No we didn't. All we did was bomb the fuck out of Afghanistan and change their government to one that bends to our will.

Since occupation and control of foreign countries is what causes terrorism, we have contributed to a rise in terrorist activity.

Lol, we're not in Syria, they don't have any oil so we don't care about their people.

Maybe you're thinking of Libya?

We killed over 100,000 civilians to take him out, and only to put in a government that served our interests before their own people.

15. List of countries we've bombed since WWII

China 1945-46
    Korea 1950-53
    China 1950-53
    Guatemala 1954
    Indonesia 1958
    Cuba 1959-60
    Guatemala 1960
    Belgian Congo 1964
    Guatemala 1964
    Dominican Republic 1965-66
    Peru 1965
    Laos 1964-73
    Vietnam 1961-73
    Cambodia 1969-70
    Guatemala 1967-69
    Lebanon 1982-84
    Grenada 1983-84
    Libya 1986
    El Salvador 1981-92
    Nicaragua 1981-90
    Iran 1987-88
    Libya 1989
    Panama 1989-90
    Iraq 1991
    Kuwait 1991
    Somalia 1992-94
    Bosnia 1995
    Iran 1998
    Sudan 1998
    Afghanistan 1998
    Yugoslavia (Serbia) 1999
    Afghanistan 2001
    Libya 2011

Just sayin'

16. "bombed" :laughing: What a juvenile way of describe the United States military conflicts.

17. #57 SmokinP, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    Yes i agree...

The reality is a media blitz to demonize the target. They start making spurious claims of "lethal weapons"...
    The average Joe American will go with it... Lets face it Joe buys anything the telly tells him...

Then its off to the UN to bully the other countries into backing the attack...
    "You are with us or you are a supporter of terrorism"

Then invade in the usual bumbling style and start making $$$ for NeoCon Inc...
    Contracts, Contracts, Contracts...

18. Our gas is cheaper than most places (not sure about the saudis?). So apparently our leaders are telling us some things right. Money talks. Bomb some brown people (I'm arab btw), low prices? Sweet deal, less muslims in the world. Maggots, they are.:smoke:

19. #59 Lenny., May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
    Nope, those aren't US military conflicts. Those are the countries the US has flat-out bombed.
    Although a few of those conflicts we did have military in.

20. but cruise missiles aren't bombs..

they are just harmless missiles..