why the red light

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cmdenver, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Why do we need the red light? I have been experimenting with lighting. It had been my experience that my girls flower just as well under MH (6500 or blue) as they do under HPS (2300 or red) as long as they get twelve hours of dark. If anyone has any data to share I would appreciate it?

2. The plants like different spectrums of light because it mimics the suns change from spring to fall, you dont need to abide by it but the plant naturally wants more blue in the beginning and more red towards the end (hot red fall sun).

3. Have you seen a difference in yield or quality?

4. Im a novice as far as growing, only CFL's so far.

I doubt it matters too much, more helping to tell the plant its time to flower, which obviously the light cycle does as well.

In my mind if it works for you than it works, everyone has their own way.

5. I’m thinking of building a new light. It would have two 175w MH bulbs and ballasts. Then two 150w HPS arranged in a cross pattern all in one hood. This would be a total of 650w and using the smaller bulbs I have found I can get them closer to the plants. 12” to 18” verves 18” to 24” because light intensity goes down by the square of the distance this setup should be more effective than one 1000w bulb, and cost less to operate. But I could also use four 150w MH and maybe get the same results. The parts cost money so I’m trying to get all the info I can before I build.

6. That sounds like a pretty sick setup.

Something like that youd have your entire spectrum covered too, easy flippage.

Baller idea man