Why so long flowering?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Beezerk, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ok, my first grow is going fine, my smoking buddy can't believe his eyes every time he has a look in the grow cupboard.
    I set them flowering around the 13th October which now makes it almost 9 weeks, they are Sensi Skunk btw.
    The packet says they should be finished in around 45 - 50 days but I'm well over that.
    Obviously there are many factors which can change the length a plant takes to flower but my plants look really healthy so I was expecting to be harvesting maybe a week or two ago.
    I'd say overall maybe half the hairs on the buds have turned orange, I bought a microsope (it really is a superb sight when you see them up close for the first time :hello:), on the 11th December the trics were clear, yesterday I saw a bit of clouding.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how long it takes for the trics to go from cloudy to amber/ready?

Yours
    Mr Impatient ;)

Grow room is always around 70F, I use Bio Bloom around every 7 or 8 days depending on how the soil feels. Dunno about light wattage, I have a load of CFL's on a lighting rig above them. I also LST'd both plants.

2. what are you counting your days from? the time you swwitched the lights or from first white hair? you may find your right on time if you subtract that first couple of weeks.

3. Aaah right, I'm going from when I started them flowering, is that incorrect?

4. sometimes get a illuminated microscope and check your trichomes

5. I have mate, just checked them again and I'd say they are around 30% cloudy now.

Any idea what the average time is for going from clear to cloudy to amber?

6. Depends on the plant man I have seen amber trics and still have white hairs. I use the trics as a tool as well as "when it looks done its done method" let those things swell up (its worth it):smoke:

7. not incorrect, but just a different way to time things.... and come on, it sounds better if I were to market plants with a shorter flowering time.

8. Yeah, I've been using those pics as a guide to how they are going, I'm interested in knowing roughly how long from cloudy to amber.

9. There are 2 separate time frames here that are often combined in the confusion.

There is the point that you switch to 12/12. Counting from this day is called "Time from switch"

Then there is the time from when you see the first little cluster of pistils. Counting from this day is called "Flowering time"

10. Thanks mate, they flowered really quickly after switching to 12-12, I had three plants and I could clearly see one was male after only 5 or 6 days which seemed odd at the time as I was reading on here that it usually takes a couple of weeks to show sex.