Why shouldn't I join the Military?

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012.

1. [quote name='"KOd3Gr33n"']

Even in a country where you can be sentenced to being stone to death for committing adultery? Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death? Women are not allowed to leave their homes without a male companion? Children having their arms mutilated for stealing? I think they could use a dose of democracy.[/quote]

It's their culture. What they believe.

It's like the nazis invading Poland because "their ways were primitive"

Same thing with the British and the Indians. No, the real Indians from India.

How about north and south Vietnam?

The Americans and the Filipinos?

I could go on and on... :rolleyes:

The point is, just because sometimes culture is different, doesn't mean we should make them like us because we believe we know best.

2. [quote name='"1Trismegistus1"']

Even in a country who locks up offenders in victimless crimes for life? Who wages war on countries minding their own business? Who funds Israels oppression and murder of Palestinian peoples?

I think that country could use a dose of...... revolution.[/quote]

#occupy Iraq

LOL

3. Awesome rant, one of the best I've seen.

OP: Remember when shit goes down, there will not be cool action music playing in the background or a pause button.

Wisely your fate you must choose *Yoda

4. #84 JesusGotBaked, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    Did I ever say I don't want to suck up to anyone in the Military? I don't even view it as that, I don't view it as sucking up to people in the Military. I view the Military as training so I can survive, do you think I'm fucking retarded or something? Do you really think I'm that misinformed and incompetent?

So because I don't like how best buy works, like many, MANY other people, that means I cant do well in the Military? That is fucking retarded guy. You're trying to compare a best buy job to serving ones country? Wow, thats all I can say.

And YOU might suck up to people, but I don't. Entering the Military doesn't require one to "suck up" to the drill sergeants, it requires you to do what you're told and keep your mouth shut. It isn't a competition in the Army, you aren't trying to win the prize for best soldier, you're all equal, and you're all equally worthless. It's the opposite of the civilian world if anything, you don't fight others to the top based on your resume.

How the fuck are you seriously able to think you can conclude who I am because I have beef with best buy? Really? You think you can fucking evaluate me and tell me who I am because I think best buy is shit? You don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Drill sergeants DESERVE respect, assholes in best buy dont. Comparing the two is nonsense. I don't plan on getting a corporate job, I'm not going to be someone I'm not and act like a fake piece of shit to get a high paying job. I want a simple life, I don't need glamor, I don't give a shit for tons of money, I don't need a corporate job. The drill sergeants in the Army yell at me, and tell me what to do so I can prepare for getting shot at. They are there to teach soldiers, to prepare them for something that is hard to replicate unless you've experienced it.

So don't fucking blab on about how I'm not good for the Military, if you know the shit I've been through growing up you'd understand how great of a soldier I would be. I've gone through more shit than most spoiled teenagers ever do, and thats made me a better person. I know what it means to work hard for something, and I'll take shit from drill instructors because thats their job. I know what it means to respect people, and I only give respect to those who deserve it. Best buy doesn't deserve respect, they're fucking SCUM.

I WON'T, however, take shit from some corporate scum at best buy making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year who thinks hes better than me. Fuck no, fuck that.

Ranting? How about you FUCK off and dont reply to my thread if you don't like it? No one forces you here to post stupid shit and to make worthless posts. I'm trying to get some ADVICE, and that requires that I give background information, or as you put it, "ranting." Get the fuck outta my thread.

And you people are misunderstanding my post about video games. I understand it isn't a video game, I'm understanding the best I can without actually experiencing war, and I probably understand the reality of death and injury better than most recruits that enter. I know there wont be music in the background, I know there will be bullets flying, and that was my point. I was acknowledging this, I said "it isn't a fucking video game," I'm well aware of the consequences.

5. Cause you can't smoke weed

6. [quote name='"JesusGotBaked"']
    Did I ever say I don't want to suck up to anyone in the Military? I don't even view it as that, I don't view it as sucking up to people in the Military. I view the Military as training so I can survive, do you think I'm fucking retarded or something? Do you really think I'm that misinformed and incompetent?

So because I don't like how best buy works, like many, MANY other people, that means I cant do well in the Military? That is fucking retarded guy. You're trying to compare a best buy job to serving ones country? Wow, thats all I can say.

And YOU might suck up to people, but I don't. Entering the Military doesn't require one to "suck up" to the drill sergeants, it requires you to do what you're told and keep your mouth shut. It isn't a competition in the Army, you aren't trying to win the prize for best soldier, you're all equal, and you're all equally worthless. It's the opposite of the civilian world if anything, you don't fight others to the top based on your resume.

How the fuck are you seriously able to think you can conclude who I am because I have beef with best buy? Really? You think you can fucking evaluate me and tell me who I am because I think best buy is shit? You don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Drill sergeants DESERVE respect, assholes in best buy dont. Comparing the two is nonsense. I don't plan on getting a corporate job, I'm not going to be someone I'm not and act like a fake piece of shit to get a high paying job. I want a simple life, I don't need glamor, I don't give a shit for tons of money, I don't need a corporate job. The drill sergeants in the Army yell at me, and tell me what to do so I can prepare for getting shot at. They are there to teach soldiers, to prepare them for something that is hard to replicate unless you've experienced it.

So don't fucking blab on about how I'm not good for the Military, if you know the shit I've been through growing up you'd understand how great of a soldier I would be. I've gone through more shit than most spoiled teenagers ever do, and thats made me a better person. I know what it means to work hard for something, and I'll take shit from drill instructors because thats their job. I know what it means to respect people, and I only give respect to those who deserve it. Best buy doesn't deserve respect, they're fucking SCUM.

I WON'T, however, take shit from some corporate scum at best buy making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year who thinks hes better than me. Fuck no, fuck that.

Ranting? How about you FUCK off and dont reply to my thread if you don't like it? No one forces you here to post stupid shit and to make worthless posts. I'm trying to get some ADVICE, and that requires that I give background information, or as you put it, "ranting." Get the fuck outta my thread.

And you people are misunderstanding my post about video games. I understand it isn't a video game, I'm understanding the best I can without actually experiencing war, and I probably understand the reality of death and injury better than most recruits that enter. I know there wont be music in the background, I know there will be bullets flying, and that was my point. I was acknowledging this, I said "it isn't a fucking video game," I'm well aware of the consequences.[/quote]

Best counter-rant I've seen so far too. No hating bro, it sounds like you have your mind made up and know what you want. Good luck bro

7. #87 Helikaon, Jan 14, 2012
    This is perhaps the crux of the whole "War is hell" argument. The media has blinded us to the simple facts of life. War is horific, it forces people to see and do things that we simply should not have to.

Plus in regards to the shooting aspect. The life of the soldier is the life of boredom and waiting, it is not a life where you run around shooting clips off like you're in COD. You go somewhere, you wait, you wait some more, wait a little bit more. Something might happen. Something might not. But you are going to spend your entire professional career as a soldier waiting. Firefights do no last for hours, they scarcely last longer than a minute. Real life in nothing like the movies.

Combat is not glorious. It is not honourable. It is not exciting except on a biological scale.

In regards to the military, you clearly have doubts. That's a good enough reason not to serve. You will literally be selling your life, soul and conciousness away for a pre-determined period. Not good.

Pros:

-Guaranteed money. War is big business right now.
    -You will be forced to be as physically fit as you can possibly be, so you're going to be healthier than you will ever be.
    -You will learn discipline
    -You will meet hundreds of different people within weeks of joining
    -You will be part of a massive community/brotherhood
    -You will travel further than you thought possible
    -You will be taught responsibility. Over weapons, lives, food, finances, everything. Links back to discipline.

Cons:
    -You face a very high risk of being violently killed.
    -You will become an oppressor. Even of the people you protect.
    -You will have to always follow orders, even if those orders are morally wrong.
    -It is highly likely that one day you will have to kill another human being.
    -You will effectively become enslaved to whichever political faction leads your country.
    -You will become hated
    -You will see horrific things. You will commit horrific acts.
    -You cannot smoke weed or take other recreational substances. Do not kid yourself into thinking you will be able to get away with it. You. Will. Be. Caught

8. hated? how are veterans hated?

real americans respect veterans.

and he will NOT commit horrific acts, he will do his job, shoot taliban.

there's NOT a very high risk of being "violently killed". he runs a much higher risk of being disabled (limbs blown off, fingers, etc.). but most likely he won't be injured at all, c'mon untrained zealots with ak 47s versus highly trained, excellently equipped american soldiers with m-16s?

only like 5,000 service men and women have died over like 7 years in iraq/afghanistan. the enemy has lost much much more than that

other than those, thats a very valid post

9. #89 Helikaon, Jan 14, 2012
    It's not a matter of "respect". I grew up in a military family, no one on this planet has more respect for servicemen than me. But I despise them with every atom of my being. Stop thinking of nations, it's nothing do with that.

There's not a high risk of being killed? Your job as a soldier is to go into harms way and shoot people. That is an extremely risky proposition. I'm not saying that every single person who has ever joined the military is definitely going to die in service. But they could.

As to horrific acts. Killing is abhorrent. Just because he's shooting a brown person in some robes does not change the fundamental act. Killing is killing.

10. huh? you hate servicemen but respect them? i'm confused :confused:

yea there's a risk of being killed but i wouldn't say it's that high.

and yea you could say that . . . . but if that brown robed person isn't killed he definitely won't hesitate in killing many americans.

11. Man I'm too baked for this haha, I could be such a trolling cunt right now.

The hate/respect thing is really hard to explain. I respect that if push comes to shove, a soldier of the British army will try his absolute hardest protect me, I'm thankful for that.

But I cannot ignore history, I cannot just ignore the evil that war brings.

And yeah it's a vicious circle. Which is part of the reason I don't think I'll ever serve in a military, I'd be driven insane by having to be part of it.

But I'm not going to have sympathy in that situation. There's a reason the Taliban shoot at Coalition forces and it has nothing to do with the Taliban.

12. the answer to that question is simple:
    because they drug test.

13. Who says they'll even take you for active duty?
    The military is currently full...and with the new military strategy Obama planned out, the military will only be smaller and smaller over the years. Army and other branches have been forced to cut back on active duty men and women because of the budget...maybe you have a shot at reserves. I could be wrong. Don't join unless you are 100% certain this is what you want.

Don't just go to their website and look at all the "fantastic" things they offer...find the real truth on what it's like to serve.

My brother is in the Navy and say a bunch of what they told him to get him to join was bs.

14. The military isn't a "shoot to kill" and "2 in chest 1 in the head" type military anymore. Its shoot too disable not to kill. I was trained to hit the target "center mass" meaning the chest area, the goal is too disable the target of any threat without killing it.

15. [quote name='"JesusGotBaked"']

And you people are misunderstanding my post about video games. I understand it isn't a video game, I'm understanding the best I can without actually experiencing war, and I probably understand the reality of death and injury better than most recruits that enter. I know there wont be music in the background, I know there will be bullets flying, and that was my point. I was acknowledging this, I said "it isn't a fucking video game," I'm well aware of the consequences.[/quote]

Massive respect for this blade

16. I'm sure that's a lot of comfort to the families and victims. I'm not talking on a practical level here: Killing is killing, causing the cessation of existence.

17. Soldiers are only allowed too shoot at people who shoot at them first. Its not Vietnam anymore.. The military doesn't run around and kill anything thats not American. And im sure Akmad's little kids would rather have him have a hole in his chest then dead.

18. #98 ChicagoToker, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    Lol...

I haven't gone through this whole thread but I'm sure its full of bullshittery. Ok, I am in the infantry in the army and I can tell you if you arent 100%, dont fuckin join. but if you are, be ready to be yelled at, be ready to do everything right but still get yelled at, and be ready to sleep outside on the freezing cold and get yelled at. If that sounds like something you want to do, join the army. Otherwise, join the air force or something...fuck I wish joined them.

Also fuck the haters of the military. Seriously fuck you all. I'd love to see survive without us you ungrateful fucks.

19. #99 CLKWRK, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    Not to say your wrong, but the purpose of a gun is to kill, not to disable. I find it funny that the military is teaching you to use a gun for purposes not intended for.

Why you shouldn't go into the Military?

1. You don't want to.

Why you should join the Military.

1. Defending the IDEALS of your country, not the government.

20. Because;
    You give them your life and they give you a stab in the back.