Why shouldn't I join the Military?

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Cuz jesus died for our sins, you don't need to die to prove anything :(

2. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is being an infantryman going to do for you in life? The experience of an infantryman won't help you get a job with computers.

Now it's 110% up to YOU whether you think it is justified or not. That is your opinion and nobody in the world can decide your opinion for you.

Good luck with your decision, it is a HUGE one!

3. The thing is, you'll never stop the violence. There will always be people hurting others. For every insurgent killed, there will be another to replace him. You will not play a huge role in ceasing the violence in an area that has been plagued by it for years and years. There are plenty of people who want to commit to the military and that's just fine. Leave it to them.

4. #44 JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    The Army isn't the best place for money though, really. Unless you don't want to go to college.

If you're interested in computers, see if your area has a PC technician certification school. Here they have a school called PC Pro, they certify you to be a PC technician in about 6 months, and you get a job before you even graduate. It isn't college, you get certified which is better than a degree anyway for a computer technician. You're better off working a shitty job while you go get certified than going to the Army. You start off making 30,000-40,000 a year, versus the Army that only pays you about 20,000 your first year (a private only makes 1,300 a month active duty, and even if you get a promotion to the next rank it's only like a $100 increase, you don't make more money till you get a few promotions). If you're into IT stuff and computers check out a PC technician certification, you're better off skipping the Army and getting a civilian job in computers. You'll make more money that way.

And thats true, one person really won't make a difference. And I don't know, what the fuck is the experience of an infantryman supposed to do for me? Is that supposed to make me a man? Is it supposed to make me tough or something?

5. Yea well honestly its not just money

I also wanna have more confidence and be able to travel. I kno completing basic will help me on the confidence part and the traveling is a given

Hmmm well i will look into that, the direct money from
    The army isnt the main thig, its them giving me money for good schooling

I dont wanna go to a tech school rly

6. Would you ever consider a war just?

If you have a problem with killing someone the army isnt the best choice, cause that is what your trained to do after all, you can actually get kicked out for not wanting to kill someone. I think only during training though, forget what its called but they have a special term for it.

Your chances are in favor of not seeing combat though. But you will get deployed.

7. Yes that is true . . . But i mean its the same thing like with smoking weed.

Theres rly no way they can tell

I mean u can shoot the targets in the simulations in basic and say ur okay with killin someone, but deep down ur not

I mean the vast majority of them dont kill anyone directly in the first place

8. If you want to go to college, I say fuck the Military. Yea they have the GI Bill and shit, but most colleges, ESPECIALLY community colleges have financial aid. My family isn't rich, and my brother was able to basically get into community college for free, as long as he didn't drop out. I'd check out your local schools, mainly community college if you don't have a lot to spend. They can help you get a degree for little to nothing if you don't have a high income.

Sure, you'll get confidence I guess, you'll have structure, but there are other ways to get that besides the Military.

9. I was in the Army as a 31B. best advice I can give you, ONLY join if your 100% about it and its something you feel you won't regret. If you want to join the army because you wanna wear the uniform and have a cool patch then just go to a surplus store and buy it. Nothing is worse then being 800 miles away from home knowing you made a mistake and theres nothing you can do about it. In the military either your going to love it or your going to fucking hate it. Lots of shitty times and also some good times but you'll also build friendships, and the brotherhood in the military is something you wont experience any other time in your life. I could sit here and type pages about my experience for hours, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to know something, your recruiter will most likely beat around the bush or tell you things that you want to hear. His job is to make you join the Army at all costs, best way to find out info about the military is to ask somebody that served or is currently serving.

10. Don't do it you probably won't get killed but you will come back with serious trauma and most likely a mental condition that will ruin your life. I read somewhere here that most deaths in military are from soldiers committing suicide from trauma. And you don't want to be supporting a unjust war

11. Hard to resist all the money as a private man

1300 a month with food, rent, medical taken care of, thats loads of money to me. Im used to fuckIn family of 3 living on 13k a year haha.

But ehhh i actually just failed out of community college first semester lol

Not proud of it, but fuck it already happened.

But man do i hate having to do essays, i kno all the scholarships require them

12. And for everybody saying " omgzzz you can die!!". You have a better chance of dying your senior year of high school then you do in this war. And believe me, put me behind the MK19 and we'll be going home safe at the end of the day.

13. Hmmmm wat was the hardest thing about basic?

14. Haha you're a 31B, no shit? Thats the first MOS I was thinking about choosing, cause I was thinking about being a cop after I got out. I've been told MP work isn't like civilian police, so some people, even a recruiter, told me it probably wasn't the best job for me if I wanted to be a civilian police officer after I got out. It's crazy how I spent a lot of time trying to find a veteran to tell me what that MOS is like, and I couldn't find anything. All of a sudden, months later you pop up. I even went to the military.com forum and tried to ask, and I got very vague, shitty answers.

Why did you join? Did you ever think about whether or not the war was just or unjust before enlisting? Why would you join if you knew the war wasn't right? Or did that not cross your mind at the time? Were you active duty? Were you overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan, where exactly? What was a day to day like for an MP? Was it mainly security, convoys, and infantry support? Or was it sitting around guarding gates? I have a lot of questions, I'll probably PM you but I need to sleep soon.

15. There is hardly any money to be made. Most don't actually make any real money from the military.

You have to use your own money to travel home for Christmas, for anything off base, and even your own hair cut (On base).

And trust me, your going to want to leave the base you are stationed at eventually.

The army just doesn't give you their debit card for everything.

16. Yah you could definitely get away with it, Personnaly I just dont think thats a very smart decision though, because the possibility could arise. You could see combat, your in the military, yes they arent just going to put any skinny boned nervous nerd outside the wire, But remember you signed your life away...they can do whatever they want.

If the army needs you somewhere they will put you there lol. I would personally want my soldiers to be ready for anything, even if your MOS was frycook, or Supply's, shit can go down anywhere.

But its true though, we loose a lot more of our troops not to the enemy but ourselves, either we go crazy and kill each other, or we get depressed and kill ourselves.

17. #57 Rubberband Man, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    Jesus. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came in here with an invincibility complex. Anyone can learn how to shoot a gun.

18. Fuck the US Military, join the French Foreign Legion.

The shit is gonna hit the fan soon, the last place you want to be is in the Army.

19. JesusgotBaked: A soldier's life is tough, but they keep us safe.
    The soldiers life is not for all
    A soldier must be willing to give his all
    He is overworked and underpaid
    A truer patriot was never made
    Ready to go at any time
    Wherever there is trouble or the first sign
    His courage and honor are unsurpassed
    Ready and willing to complete the task
    Travelling to lands both near and far
    He stands his post and looks at the stars
    Wondering what he might have done
    If he had not chosen to carry a gun
    Remember the next time that you are driving by
    And see the flag flying proud and high
    That somewhere out there a soldier stands
    Weary and cold in a foreign land
    Protecting our country from our foes
    Standing tall and proud come rain or snow.

20. I have a vintage French rifle for sale. Never fired, only dropped once. Anyone want it? :p