Why shouldn't I join the Military?

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Even in a country who locks up offenders in victimless crimes for life? Who wages war on countries minding their own business? Who funds Israels oppression and murder of Palestinian peoples?

I think that country could use a dose of...... revolution.

2. Live and let live my friend.:smoke:

smoke one and think about it,

who are we to tell them how to live? they just want to live in peace just like us.

3. Unfortunately, that kind of stuff doesn't bother me too much. It's fucked up, I know, but I'm a little desensitized to those kinds of images already.

I've seen a few beheadings, I've seen some very gruesome videos online, and its fucked up, but it doesn't really have any effect on me anymore. And thats one of the main things I'm worried about, being captured by the Taliban and being beheaded or tortured.

It isn't a matter of playing too much COD, I'm not trying to join so I can relive a video game experience. I understand the reality of the decision I would be making, I understand the reality of war, death, injury, blood and gore.

I just want to know if the war, or invasion, is justified.

4. Yeah I'd take all of that over being stoned to death.

5. Just wait until they start imposing that military presence in your own front yard, now that we can lock someone away for life without trial, having a 7 day supply of food being enough to be suspicious that you plan to carry out covert attacks against America.

6. because obamas president.

7. But they are not living in peace, they are living in fear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15ci5Tg_IE]Iranian woman sentenced to stoning now to be lashed as well - 5 September 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

granted this is Iran not Afghanistan but both countries follow Islamic law.

8. Thanks for the extra reason to join

Just in case the martial law thing happens i can be part of the ruling faction

Lol jk i honestly dont think the martial law is gonna happen anyhow

9. Have you been there? If not then you know only the one sided propoganda the media pushes to rally support for unjust wars. There was a woman who turned her husband in for lifting her veil to see her face which is against Muslim law, so obviously there are people who truly feel these laws are God's laws, I would say every one that is an actual follower of Islam feels just that way. And last I checked, a lot of them ARE.

Why aren't we doing anything about North Korea? There is PLENTY of oppression there... oh right, no oil in N. Korea.

10. It doesn't matter how many three-minute videos you have watched. You have seen on the internet, but you have not seen with your eyes. You have not smelled death and burning flesh. You have not hauled away a bloody corpse of a young child. You don't have the slightest fucking clue as to what it's really like. We could go back and forth on this all night, it seems, so I'll move on.

As far as the war being "just", it doesn't matter. Most of our forces are being pulled back. However, if you join and we are thrust into another war in two years, you will not have a choice to decide if it is just or not or what actions you want to carry out. Your opinion will not matter in the least. Think about it, man. If we got involved in another war in two years and you did not agree with the war, and you were shipped overseas to kill, would you think you made the right decision to join? I hope you said yes, because there is no way out. You are there to kill, even if you don't agree with who, how, or why.

11. Shit like that makes me want to go over to those inhumane, uncivilized countries and fuck some people up. They have that kind of mentality and fucked up religious belief, that its ok to stone women who don't cover themselves, its barbaric.

12. ahh alright man I see your point.

13. I don't understand why people would willingly join the military and support an unjust war. What valid reason is there to do that?

And thats true, if I join, I don't get to quit. If theres another war, I have to be involved whether I like it or not. Why would someone do that? All for a sense of pride? Thats so stupid.

14. I think there is a HUGE difference in watching a video of it, and seeing it in person. You have never seen someone beheaded or executed in real life. You probably have never even seen a dead body unless at a funeral. I've never.

Wait until your friend gets shot and killed right in front of you.

I feel as if if you have to come here to ask for advice on joining, then you probably shouldn't join. You obviously aren't fully committed.

I have friends in the military.. and nearly all of them say they wish they had never joined. One is even station in Hawaii (Army) and one is in Japan (Marines).

Just my .02.

15. It's a big decision though, its natural for me to be doubtful, a lot of people are before they enlist. It's natural to question it, its the smart thing to do. Just because I questioned whether or not I should have enlisted in the first place won't make me any less capable of doing my job, if I decided to join. If I do decide to join then I am fully committed and I'll give it my all.

16. There you go man. You've just found out the military isn't for you. :hello:

17. Then how is the Military for some people? Are they idiots? They cant be that stupid to fight for a war that isn't just in the first place. How can they willingly agree to die for such a stupid cause? They have to be idiots, I can't think of another explanation.

Maybe I'm just too smart for the Army, lol.

18. #38 GBG, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    But you just answered your own question in saying

"I don't understand why people would willingly join the military and support an unjust war. What valid reason is there to do that?

And thats true, if I join, I don't get to quit. If theres another war, I have to be involved whether I like it or not. Why would someone do that? All for a sense of pride? Thats so stupid."

Obviously you don't want to join. You don't support the war nor our government, which is completely fine, but I think it shows that the military is not for you.

Edit:

Just because the war isn't just to you, doesn't mean it's not for others. Obviously there are people that support the war..

And it's not like once you join you are automatically sent directly into combat to die..

19. I want the Military experience of an infantryman, but I don't want to serve my country if the war isn't justified. That pretty much sums it up.

If the war is justified, I'll join. I'm just not sure if it is. Part of me thinks well, the middle eastern countries are fucked up civilizations in general, so all of those mother fuckers deserve to die for the way they treat people, but the other part of me doesn't really care to get involved.

20. One word-finances

I grew up in poverty, i never ever ever want to experience that fucking hell again

Im joining but im gonna be doing a computer job

They will pull up the jobs i can get. If the jobs i want (ive already chosen) dont show up, im not joining