Why shouldn't I join the Military?

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012.

1. #1 JesusGotBaked, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    fuck bush and his oil agenda

2. Because you are not 100% sure.

The military isn't something to go into unless you are 100% sure.:cool:

3. If you're having doubts like this, don't do it. It's awfully hard to get out.

Do the computers thing. Make money, live well, avoid moral conflict.

4. Last week I was almost positive. I was thinking "yeah, I'll be a soldier, I'll be kicking ass over in Afghanistan shooting mofos."

And now I'm starting to realize how absolutely retarded that sounds. Why should I put my ass on the line for our corrupt government? Why should I have to deal with the fact that I killed other people for the rest of my life? All so I can dress up and look like a cool infantryman with a badass gun? It's such a fucking joke, but I still like that part of it. I like the idea of kicking down doors, running around shooting people, but it isn't a fucking video game. Its real life.

Why does one part of me see how dumb it is, but the other part of me still want to do it? Why does part of me feel obliged, why do I feel like I have to prove something to everyone? Why does it seem that the only way for me to prove myself is by joining the Military? I still think it would be awesome to be a soldier, but I'm not sure if 8 years of my life is worth it. I'm not sure, fuck.

5. being in the army doesn't automatically mean you will be shipped to a combat zone

6. My friend joined the navy and got stationed in Japan for 4 years.

2 years into it and he's posting really depressing facebook statuses. looks more and more bored as time goes by.

7. #7 Rubberband Man, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    1st post summed it up. It seems as if you want the celebration of being a soldier. What you said about weapons training and being a "grunt" and all leads me to think this. It seems like you just would like to act out part of a movie. One reason you shouldn't is because I don't feel comfortable with you defending my freedoms. I want someone who is dedicated to doing their job and know what they want from the start. Taking a life is something that is very serious, and if you are needed to, I'd like you to do it. I support our soldiers, but I have seen too many people going in for the money or "fame" that they think they will receive from joining. Do something else and leave the military jobs for those who truly want to do it. I'm not trying to be brash, but you really shouldn't be doing this. You know it yourself. You didn't need to come to a forum full of strangers for confirmation. The fact that you posted here about this issue asking for people to tell you why not to join is enough proof, isn't it?

Edit: Also, this

Completely the wrong attitude to have. The military isn't a free pass to play Call of Duty in the fucking desert. I'm sorry if I offend you, but your mentality is the exact same of that of a sophmore in high school. You shouldn't be wanting to fight for a "corrupt government", but your American people.

8. Thats the thing, if I join, I don't want to be a phony. I don't want to say "yea I was in the Army," and have a job like an accountant or an electrician (yes, they have accountants in the Army and electricians). If I join, I want the combat experience, I want to be the real deal. If I join, I'd be active duty, so I would most likely be sent overseas, especially as an infantryman. I want to defend my country, but we aren't doing that. I'm not going for money, the money is shit, I'd be going to defend our country. I'd have to rationalize the middle eastern wars, and I don't think anyone can.

I'm really having doubts lol, and the more and more I really think about it the less I want to join. I'd just like to continue to read reasons as to why I shouldn't join, because I already know the reasons why I would join.

9. 1- Think about all of the veterans who come back fucked up with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and/or end up committing suicide.... and think about why there are so many..

2- Do you believe in what our government is doing? do want to be a pawn in their game?

10. [quote name='"KOd3Gr33n"']My friend joined the navy and got stationed in Japan for 4 years.

2 years into it and he's posting really depressing facebook statuses. looks more and more bored as time goes by.[/quote]

How in fucks fucking name can u get bored in japan????

Holy fuck id kill to go there

11. I don't support our government, I don't like what they're doing. At the same time, I want the Military experience, I like that. I just hate how we aren't fighting a just war, if we were, then I would join without a doubt.

And thats why so many people join, they want to go kick ass. And I do, I want to fuck the Taliban up, I want to destroy terrorism, IF the war itself is justified.

The real barrier for me is whether or not the war is justified. If someone can rationalize the war, then I'll join.

12. It was fun for a year, and now that it's been 2 years and has 2 left... hates everything. Hates Japanese food, Japanese people, the weather, everything about Japan. They are stationed on a base where they do rounds 24/7 in fucking JAPAN where nothing happens. They're not in Afghanistan or Libya, there's no combat, nothing's going on. Don't you think you would get bored doing nothing all day?

13. [quote name='"KOd3Gr33n"']

It was fun for a year, and now that it's been 2 years and has 2 left... hates everything. Hates Japanese food, Japanese people, the weather, everything about Japan. They are stationed on a base where they do rounds 24/7 in fucking JAPAN where nothing happens. They're not in Afghanistan or Libya, there's no combat, nothing's going on. Don't you think you would get bored doing nothing all day?[/quote]

Japanese girls, anime, fucking tokyo, fucking tokyo, japanese girls, video games

Naw brah id never ever ever get bored there

They created my childhood what with super nintendo and n64 and gamecube. I therefore worship them

14. I've been so lost in the media, I don't even know what the truth about the war is. Is it justified, or is it not? Are we really fighting terrorism? If I join and am sent to Afghanistan, would I be destroying terrorists, or would I be destroying normal people who don't want Americans invading their country?

15. It sounds like you really are into the shooting and killing aspect of war. You do understand the things that happen over there, right? It's not like bodies bleed a little and fall. Seeing burned, dismembered children floating in a pool of blood with their parents and watching your closest friends killed and strung up on a bridge like garbage is NOT something that you want to live with. I'll just leave this here...

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it."
    Erasmus, Desiderius

16. A war is between two military forces.

Not one military force taking over areas and establishing democracy to where it benefit them...

just my 2 cents.

17. #17 1Trismegistus1, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    You played too much COD and watched too many movies. Go to a site and watch people get executed and shot and getting limbs blown off. That will be you. Statistically you are far more likely to lose your legs or sustain terrible disfiguring wounds than you are to die. Your not going to fly 30 feet when an IED goes off and then just get up, or respawn, you are going to get crippled and if your lucky, die.

Also, I respect soldiers and all, but I have a big fuckin beef with modern soldiers talking shit about how they "defend my freedom". Defend it from what? The ONE "terrorist attack" that happened 10 fuckin years ago? From the countries we invaded for their oil who had absolutely NOTHING to do with it? Go ahead and be a soldier, but don't pretend your like my grandfather who fought in WW2, because your not, your a dude who wanted free college and exchanged the lives of innocent people for it, essentially signed up to be a government contract killer, no matter how much they brainwashed you into hating "the enemy", there IS NO ENEMY and your surprised when a few civilians try to kill you, as if Americans wouldn't throw a shit fit if some country just planted their military in our cities for no legitimate reason.

end rant

18. Even in a country where you can be sentenced to being stone to death for committing adultery? Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death? Women are not allowed to leave their homes without a male companion? Children having their arms mutilated for stealing? I think they could use a dose of democracy.

19. Tought world out there

The reasons im joining are mainly personal

Im not rly thinking of the politics of it as a whole tbh

20. look up the definition of terrorist and question what it means and who is a terrorist...

Think about it like this, what if some military force came here and took over. Would you just obey or would you make a militia? That is what I see it as... Any person with what looks like a gun is labeled a terrorist and killed...