why should you grow organic?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Hydro201, Nov 29, 2009.

1. i was wondering whats so special about growing weed organicly? is it more potent or something?

2. its a choice thats all...just like asking someone why they like Pepsi as opposed to Coke.

_Numb_

3. Well there's quite a bit more to it than that...

Organic weed will contain no pesticides, heavy metals or toxic chemicals in it and is healthier and safer to consume. This is especially important if you are a medical user. Organic is also better for the environment if done properly and does not put toxic chemicals into the air, soil and water. If you are growing outside in soil, organic will help keep your soil healthy and viable.

Organic always tastes better and is smoother smoke too. You would be amazed how fertilizer can affect smell, flavor, appearance and structure.

After experimenting for many years I have found that there is really very little at this point that organics cannot do better than conventional farming methods. Nutrient uptake, growth, yield, cost of production, environmental impact, and quality can all be improved though proper organic farming methods.

4. sounds like a choice to me...Im sure there is someone who will put up an argument for chem growing also...

Like I said it is just a choice...those are just your reason's for choosing organic growings.

_Numb_

5. I am using organics and have to say the cost is what lured me into them.

6. #6 newgrowNY, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
    Its really down to a picking one or the other...

I've grown using Fox Farm nutes and was very happy with yield and quality... but I wanted to give organics a shot. My main reason for growing organic is that I do not dispose of my old soil, very difficult to stealthyfully dispose of for me, and you can re-amend the soil and actually makeit better over time. The soil I built has fed my plants for nearly 2 months from seed with no added nutes.

In organics your actually feeding the soil and creating a living soil that provides the plants what they need. This allows the plants to uptake nutrients in a wider ph range, I haven't checked my ph once this grow... I do have a ph meter and it is important to have if you have problems.

I can't say personally if yield or quality is impacted negatively using organics... I'm just getting ready to flower.

But if veg results are any indication of flowering results I'll be very happy...

DSCN2066.jpg

7. growing organic as mentioned above is crucial to maintaining good soil nutrients. i forget where i was reading this but it was proven in a study that the soil nutrient level in commercial farmlands is rapidly decreasing. Duh, chemicals that kill of vital microorganism growth. Organic growing does the opposite. Feeding the soil, not the plant. THe soil then feeds the plant. everyones happy.

8. Yep, you are totally correct greenmeany. Currently, we are using up our topsoil much faster than we are rebuilding it. USDA estimates predict that we will run out of viable farm land within 50 years if something is not changed. Production on existing farm land has also continued to steadily decline and will continue to. Our current method of farming is simply not sustainable - it degrades the soil eventually rendering it useless. You have to realize that the way that we have been farming for the past 50 or 60 years is radically different than the previous 10,000 years of agriculture - plants are NOT supposed to be grown with chemicals.

9. As stated above its both an alternative and a chioce.
    I myself have had great sucess using organics thus far. But like most things in life, if you truly want to know about it you should do research and the "why's" will become apparent, and if they dont maybe another type of growing is more suitable for what you are trying to accomplish.

10. another good post blaze. i think well eventually have to start growing completely organic. it may be a bit more difficult to compost and make teas and do everything right rather than just spray and mix up some chemicals, but its well worth it. But i think organics is on the rise. espcially with places like whole foods popping up everywhere around here and the underlying health effects of eating chemically grown foods vs. organic. but of course, if people get back to the earth and start using their backyards lawns for food rather than useless aesthetically pleasing grass, then half this problem wouldnt be here would it lol. i cringe when i drive through suburbs and see neatly trimmed lawns and hedges. think about how much food they couldve produced! anyways thats my rant. peace bro

11. organic is the only way to go!. healthy, better taste, smells better. my friend did a experiment with 2 skunk#1 plants, both with exact medium and under the exact light, both under 150W hps and 2 43 watts cfl cool white bulbs, he got 1oz out of the organic plant and 36 grams out of the chem plant, but the organic plant was healthier and smelled better, i don't know about the smoke i never got a chance to sample it.

12. no chemically grown strain can compete with properly grown organic weed. even down to the texture, appearance, odor and taste, and you know you're gettin high from the weed and not the steroids it was pumped up with. The only thing hydro can do better is maybe yield. Bottom line: if you are going to be smoking the weed you grow, go organic!