Why should marijuana be legalized?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Lizard92, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Hey, Im giving a persuasive speech in one of my classes on why marijuana should be legalized. If you could, please direct me to some reliable sources (articles / statistics) as to the benefits and anything you think would be useful to support my thesis. With this speech there is someone who is arguing the other side which is that it should not be legalized. Feel free to help as you can.

2. For the medical end of your argument, click that first link in my sig!

Even just these two can be quite persuasive-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    Pot compound seen as tool against cancer - SFGate

Once the medical facts about cannabis become known, the need for legalization becomes obvious!

Granny

3. Some points I can think of myself:
    The DEA's Administrative Law Judge, Francis Young concluded: "In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating 10 raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death. Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.:Source: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Agency, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22], (September 6, 1988), p. 57.

My source (I'm certain there are more with this same quote): Marijuana Drug War Facts

2. A study showing that adolescents that binge drink and smoke marijuana have less damage to 7 out of 8 parts of the brain than those that binge drink without smoking marijuana.

Pot Might Blunt Damage of Binge Drinking - US News and World Report

3. Marijuana DOES NOT cause lung cancer (I love this source, as its a science website, not a pro marijuana one)

Study Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use And Lung Cancer

4. It is often reported that marijuana use can increase ones risk of schizophrenia (my sister has it, she has never smoked btw). However, it is not reported that this is likely caused because schizophrenics are self treating symptoms. And when marijuana increase soars in a country, schizophrenic rates remain unchanged. I know there are multiple sources about this way of analyzing the link, here is one I could find in a few minutes.

http://norml.org/news/2009/07/02/in...ise-in-incidences-of-schizophrenia-study-says