Why putting your faith in Jesus makes more sense to me than putting faith in science.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by SmokeeTheBear, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What Jesus (And other religious gurus-Buddha etc) taught still rings true today:

Love all beings equally, even your enemy.

Serving others humbly brings true happiness.

Greed is the root of all evil.

God is inside all of us.

The satisfaction sin brings is fleeting, the bliss of righteousness is eternal. You never feel guilty after doing what's right, do you.

Science is always changing, constantly being proved wrong.

Yes, it's great that science admits it's faults. But wouldn't you rather believe in a message that has no faults, and is just as true today as it was thousands of years ago?

The message God has been giving to us has never changed, and it's always been right. To me, that's something worth believing in.

2. Also, to those who put science up on a pedestal and like to spout off about all the turbulence caused by "religion" (which is what Jesus, Buddha, etc were AGAINST) like the crusades, "holy" wars, etc.

What about all the harm brought about by science? Guns, nuclear bombs, biological warfare, etc etc etc.

The point being, everything, including science and religion, can be used for good or bad.

Do not point your finger at what's being used, point it at the person using it.

3. yes but science advances us as a race. Religion sets us back ( imo )
    EDIT : Plus science has given us facts that have been proved countless times in countless different ways, You ask religious people for facts they just claim its all faith

4. In my opinion.

Science gives us the tools, religion teaches us how we should use them.

:smoke:

5. I believe id have to agree... many of the morals taught (not all) through many religions (not all) are good ways to live by... but I don't necessarily think you need to believe in a religion to follow those...

But I also would say science is an important frontier for our species... many diseases could have destroyed the entire planet without medical science.... this forum wouldn't exist without technological science... you know what I mean

6. It all depends on how religion is used, when it is used as an excuse for violence then it becomes something thats better to avoid...then again the same thing could probably be said for science the more i think about it

7. Why cant i follow those morals without believing in someone who will smite me down if i dont? Why do you NEED to believe in god to be a good person?

Personally i believe being a good person for god is just as bad as being a bad person for yourself.

You have to become a good person genuienly, from the heart. Doing something kind or generous for someone loses all merit (in my mind) when really done for yourself (to heighten yourselves in the eyes of god and lock in a place in heaven).

When i do something kind for someone, i do it to make there day a little better or easier, and that brings me some sort of happyness/satisfaction (which arguably means im doing it for myself, but its a win win :D).

To sin means to miss the point, the point of life. This is the ACTUAL definition, it has nothing to do with jerkin it, having sex before marriage, or smoking a little weed.

8. #8 Thomas Kane, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    Why do so many believers assume religion is necessary for goodness? I don't need a man in the sky to tell me what's good or bad. I have my own sense of right and wrong.

I've known just as many awful people who worshipped a deity as awful people who claimed to be atheist or agnostic and vice versa.

9. Morals and science should go hand in hand. Your don't need religion to be a good person.

But yes, I see your point.

10. Facts of what?

I listed quite a few "religious" facts in my OP.

Sciences "facts" are always changing. You see this in the realm of physics constantly, especially recently.

Just like to clarify I love science, I just love God more.

11. In science there are no such thing as "facts" so to speak.

There are natural phenomena that we try to explain using discrete logic, and mathematical models. They are simply theories in place until we understand it better.

To think our understanding is 100% fact is pure fallacy. Its a childish, egotistical way of thinking, and in my opinion it's precisely how religion operates.

12. You don't need to believe in God to be a good person, I never said that. I also don't believe he will smite you down if you don't believe in him (obviously, you haven't been smitten yet right? :p). The only thing you're missing out on if you don't have a relationship with the supreme, is the bliss of the relationship itself. Which nothing in this reality really compares to (except maybe love and music :D)

The highest service, is selfless service.

This means doing something ONLY to help others. Not to make yourself feel good, not to "lock in a place in heaven", but just to help others.

Feeling good is just a side effect :smoke:

13. Religious people are fucking scary.
    (reminds me of this youtube video where the girl said god gave them the gift f ye earthquake in japan and it was the greatest most magnificent thing ever)

But mad scientist are scarier if I was forced to believe in one I'd rather have my jetpack then a book.

14. What i meant to say is that science cant actually give us things that we can see, feel measure etc. Religion cannot give you proof of God. Then again im just not a fan of christianity so maybe im being slightly biased. The thing is i actually believe that there is a possibility of some form of ''creator'' Not like the chrisitian view of god however, but i wont be able to prove that ever.

15. i dont need jesus or religion to live by the golden rule. it's pretty simple. treat others as you wish to be treated. unless you're a masochist ;):laughing:

what you're talking about has nothing to do with "making sense", nor does jesus' message(the parts of it you highlighted in the OP, anyway) have anything to do with science. it's not comparable. i don't know why you're turning it into a "pick one or the other" game.

16. I do agree that its a really good way to live, but why not do it anyway? why should religion be the catalyst to act in this way? Im not religious but im a very selfless person

17. Yeah, I know what you mean. Like I said I love science and all the advancements it's given our species. But I also hate the way it's made so many people lose sight of what's truly important in life.

I wouldn't go so far as to say many diseases could have destroyed the entire planet without medical science. "Medical science" has only been around for a few hundred years, our species seemed to get on fairly well for the few million years before that right? :smoke:

18. Cool. That doesn't make it more rational.

19. Exactly, there is a flipside to every coin, religion included.

Religion =/ Jesus' message

Exactly, that's why I put "facts" in quotations. :D

20. I never said you had to pick one or the other, like I said I love them both.

What I'm saying is this.

What makes more sense:

Believing in something that has always been true for thousands of years, and is still true today.

Or

Believing in something that is always changing, and has been wrong many times.

Again- I believe in both science and the message of Jesus. But I put more faith into the message of Jesus. For the reason above ^

:smoke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.