Why prohibition is still alive

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Madrid, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Question
    Why are drugs illegal?

Usage rates of drugs become higher after prohibition is in place. As does crime. This is evident in both our own drug war now, and from the hellish prohibition of alcohol in the 20's and 30's.

Further more, our forefathers strictly noted that the purpose of government was to protect individual liberties. Is it not an individuals choice whether he chooses to use drugs? Whose rights does that person infringe if he intoxicates himself?

Isn't regulation a much better approach? Drug dealers, gangs, cartels, and drug lords make huge profits because their product is so hot. Instead, why don't we create a licensing system so drugs can be administered with proper control? This way the profits are so marginal that criminals lose their incentive and black markets are eliminated.

Like alcohol and tobacco, we can create a system where only licenced vendors can sell these substances. This way they have minors get checked for ID and are denied - unlike drug deals. This way they won't try to push newer/harder substances on customers - which is exactly what drug dealers are doing now. This way there is opportunity for high tax revenue.

If you don't use heroin or cocaine right now, ask yourself this question: "If it were legal, would you do it?". I sure as hell wouldn't.

As for the billions of our tax dollars wasted on imprisoning non violent offenses, I am outraged.

Prohibition is unconstitutional, and it's a grand waste of resources.

Response

2. Damn it I got confused and clicked the first one.

3. its okay

this thread was only a good idea at the time

4. While I wholeheartedly believe "my body, my choice what I put into it" I believe the illegalities surrounding the illicit drugs like crack, cocaine, heroin, meth is to protect the public not from what the drugs do, but from what they cause people to do to OTHER people to get their fix. Addiction welcomes crime. This is the only positive thing I see about the drug war. And I dont think cocaine is even addictive. peace.

5. yeah true

and I don't think anyone would kill someone over MJ

6. the responder is totally retarded (and his grammar sucks too).

Drugs wouldn't be able to be sold "in an open space" because any violation of where, when and to whom they could be sold would result in loss of the seller's sales license, exactly as it is today with alcohol and tobacco.

Sales to children would of course be illegal. NOBODY has ever suggested that recreational drugs would be sold to children.

How many of us start the day with a forty of jack? It's perfectly legal but we don't do it because it's not in our best interests, so why does this retard think that everyone will be permanently shooting up just because other substances are made legal?

We've already proved that we're capable of making sound decisions, we don't need the government to hold our hand, and we certainly don't need them threatening to throw us in one of their sodomizing prisons in order to keep us safe from potentially harmful substances!

7. That's an interesting theory. Like even if it was legal to buy crack, meth, and heroine the people who are smart enough to say no are still going to say no, but the people who can't say no would stop doing illegal things to get it because it would be available and cheap.

That would totally work but we will never see a world like that. On a further note I would buy mushrooms every other day. (only so my body's tollerance for them could wear off during the off day)

8. From LEAP's site:

9. Amen sister. :smoke:

10. That's right, but it's important that the sellers are prevented from pursuing the usual goal of a businesses which is to maximize profit. The goal of these businesses must be to prevent adults from buying drugs from illegal sellers, but they must not try to maximize their profits by selling as many drugs as possible to as many people as possible.

They therefore must be prevented from advertising and from having "happy nights" and offering specials designed to get people into the stores. Alcohol and tobacco sellers should also be forced to operate under these regulations.

It is wrong to have advertisements for alcohol designed to get people who weren't interested in buying alcohol go to a store and purchase it. It is also wrong for gas stations to advertise cigarettes around their gas pumps when that advertising could entice nonsmokers to try their product and subsequently lead to their addiction and physical impairment.

11. The responder's strong point seems to be "imagine if children did drugs." Children shouldn't be doing drugs, anyways. Parents would need to educate said children as to why they can't/ need to wait to do drugs. The responder must be in high school.

If drugs are regulated, taxed, and controlled, quality and purity can be guaranteed, unlike what can be purchased on the street. And yes, they could ask for ID, something that isn't even considered now.

12. anybody kno the constitution was written on hemp paper. now look at wat the government is 2day. they throw ppl in federal prison for smoking a plant which is probaly the best blessing from god besides our own children. with over 200 known medical uses nd over 9000 uses from the plant as a whole from food to clothing. its almost like civil rights just its pot smokers and activists and pro-hemp lobbyists tryin to change the country for the better. not to mention if we could make an legal industry from it it would cut crime by half i think cus it woundnt be a crime anymore. also the money made from such an industry would aid in the ecomomy. LEGALIZE, REGULATE, AND TOKE UP!!!!:smoking::smoking::smoking:

13. who was the responder of that question? that is the logic of a 13yr old boy whos seen a few too many hollywood movies.

who thinks like that, i mean come on, it almost seems like he fantasises about the world being like that witch is really really bad. please dont tell me thats a politician.