Why Not Work On Changing The Federal Law Against Marijuana First Instead Of Having States Violate It..................................................

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by JoeVullion13254, May 29, 2013.

1. #1 JoeVullion13254, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
    18 states have laws allowing for the medical use of marijuana and 2 states just made it legal for recreational use. But this is only under state law. The federal law putting marijuana in schedule 1 means it has no medical value and is more dangerous than cocaine and meth remains on the books! The feds are still raiding patients. Patients arent protected, neither are recreational pot smokers in states where its legal or the state run marijuana businesses or anyone that wants to grow their own marijuana for personal use. You cant get a job or have your 2nd amendment rights. All because of this federal law criminalizing marijuana! Its been 17 years since 1996 when California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana, and yet despite there being 18 medical marijuana states and despite 80% of the public supporting its medical use, despite 52% supporting it being legal for recreational use, none of the resources are going towards changing the federal law. Wouldnt that be a better strategy? To change the federal law first before having any states experiment with making it legal?

2. because if enough states do it, the federal government will not have the resources to enforce the law, and will basically be forced into legalizing it..  this is because the federal government will not legalize it, imho because of big lobbyist groups..  and really im a fan of  jury nullification.. which is when someone being charged with a crime goes in front of a jury, and the jury votes to acquit them even though the evidence suggests otherwise.. I.E the jury doesnt think the defendant should get a punishment for possession of marijuana and acquits the defendant...

3. "Top down" legislation works well when there's a public outrage (see the meat packing industry in the early 1900's), but when we look at similar socio-legal changes, such as alcohol prohibition, the most successful campaigns for change have been bottom up.

4. Pharmaceuticals baby. 

5. Think of it like how a presidential election goes. Unfortunately that system is flawed but it sets the example for this situation. Once the votes are counted in each state the person who got the popular vote in a particular state wins a certain amount of delegate points based on its population. But in this case not all the states are voting at the same time, but the decision stands for the time being. So substitute the 2 candidates for a yes or no vote on weed. As it stands about 18 states essentially voted yes to at least have a mmj program, and a handful have said yes to decriminalizing it.

The reason why states do it individually is because there are unfortunately not enough states that would want it right now because of their steep traditions of conservative ideals or whathaveyou. Also, strategically if states do it on their own, they are basically saying that they don't want the federal law to interfere with what they feel is best with their own territory and its a slap in the face to the federal law saying they have lost touch with their constituents because obviously some people want it, in fact enough have said they do want it and so they made it legal in the area where those people live. So get your DEA bitches out of our state because we got this shit under control. The argument is that states should have their own rights on the matter. Similarly to the gay rights issue. All it takes is precedent.

Only 5 years ago I was saying that it probably wouldn't happen in my lifetime, and I'm only 27. But now I have some hope. I'm thinking in the next decade we will have a better prospect of seeing weed freedom. I think it's one of the next major things that could be revised so long as a liberal or independent person is the next president, but even then nothing real definitive will happen until his second term because it might not bode well for reelection purposes.

6. Every attempt in congress has been shut down in committees and never reaches the floor for debate. This may change in the next session with the Chair for the Judicial Committee's home state legalizing hemp production(KY) and he has already voiced his support for the bill in KY,,,however,,he also states "if the DEA/DOJ and law enforcement allow it,,,my thoughts are he is posturing so he doesn't lose his seat in the next election,,,he has shot down several decriminalization bills for marijuana and I have always considered him as one of the main bill stopping forces in congress,,,time will tell.

7. If every pothead sent their Congressman a post card on the same day demanding that all anti pot laws be repealed it would get the Copngress's attention.  There would be more mail in their offices than ever before, by far!  It would set a record for mail received on any issue. 

Immagine if you will, a huge pile of post cards on every Congressman's desk.  There are at least 20,000,000 of us.  There are only 435 Congressmen.  That leaves a  pile of about 46,000 post cards on each desk, on average.   I think it might work. 

Lets start getting it to gether to do it on April 20, 2014.

One prohib supporting legislator losing his seat will get more attention than a million post cards. :smoke:

No, not at all. That's just not how it works.

If we didn't push for local action, we'd still be sitting here with the same old stigmas we faced thirty-odd years ago, and we'd be seeing more, and worse raids, if we didn't make the progress that we have made, with State laws. There would be zero medical cannabis availability, zero decriminalized states, we'd have less understanding from the non-cannabis community, and there would be thousands more in jail.

Decriminalized and medical cannabis at the state level, is what has made the MOST progress towards relaxing federal law. Without any of these state laws, we would be screwed federally for a LOT longer, and we would never have a chance at legalization in any of our lifetimes!

How is that better, exactly? :p

I'm not sure if you're aware of this.... but State laws are baby steps, and we actually HAVE been trying to change federal law for decades. :)

And this is where we are now, with individual States finally waking up and making the change locally. The federal gov needs to see and feel the pressure from both the people, AND from the local politicians and state laws (not to mention big businesses), otherwise nothing is going to change and they'll continue profiting comfortably, from cannabis being illegal. :)
     Think about how much faster the feds stand to wake up and give in, if the entire country goes medical, or even legal, compared to no one pushing for legalization or medical cannabis locally.

I really can't fathom how that would put us in any better a position for legalization. :)

10.  Completely wrong .

Look at what happened in North Carolina last year . The local government got so many emails/post cards about legalizing maryJane that they got mad and said " No this is just to much its over whleming" .

So , that will not work .

11. Starting with the Federal level is like saying hey let's ban cigarettes, they're too powerful and corrupt to ever let that happen

12.  so what their saying is the will of the people is too much to handle or even discuss?   i think letting them know how we feel regardless of whether they can handle it or not is important. If they can't handle it then, people who can should step up.

It's sad but true. In 2008, I was doing an internship for my state senate. When the Sonics were threatening to leave Seattle we got hundreds of form letters demanding we prevent it somehow (despite pro sports teams being private companies, which we had no power over). We, the interns, had to copy all of the addresses down so that every couple of days we could do a mass mailing with a form response.

14. I wonder if playing Johnny Appleseed with cannabis would help or hurt.  I was thinking of fairly random planting everywhere in places where it is very likely be found along the edges of woods and fields.   It could be hemp or some random cross from my closet, would most local LEO's know the difference or care?   Would the resources wasted finding and eradicating all this cannabis make any difference in terms of how much time they have to go after actual grows?   Or would it just freak out the prohibitionist and harden positions on that side, although they are pretty thoroughly brain-washed so what's the possible harm there??? Perhaps I'm over thinking this?

It sounds like a lot of fun, walking along the trails dropping mud-balls with hemp seeds, it will give LEO's something to do and make them feel important...  Makes them happy, makes me happy, just wondering if it would be beneficial to the cause in the long term.

I should invent a walking stick/cane that has a compartment to hold seeds and a mechanism to inject a seed when you push a button, just tap, click and plant, refill when it runs out of seeds....

GG

While I doubt this would work it would be amusing to see pot everywhere  :metal:

16. In order to get the feds to change it from class 1, 99% of Americans will have to assemble on DC mall and demand marijuana legalization for days, weeks or even months. It will not happen overnight.

17. This is what pisses me off. Only when it serves their own best interests will they be able to handle it.

18. Well then, if letting our representatives know how we feel, before an election, isn't going to work, let's send a post card telling them we will vote against them if they won't vote to legalize MJ.  And then lets just all vote against anyone who won't vote to legalize MJ.  Maybe we can swing an election.

I don't expect MJ to be legal after just one election cycle.  But if we will unite we might.

19. 1937 Emergency Banking Act.
    Bank runs and gold clawed back by the FEDS as the U.S. is put into bankruptcy proceedings to the IMF.
    Ever since? More and more "donations" to countries that hate and ridicule us.
    The cure for cancer and any number of diseases certainly is not going to be allowed to be "given" to the people of the U.S. This is the "property" of the IMF as well. You can't talk sense with the FED when they do not represent the interests of America. They look out for international bankers. And business is good as is. Just ask HSBC and other banks.

20. #20 JoeVullion13254, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
    What do you mean "relaxing federal law"???? Its still a SCHEDULE 1 substance with NO MEDICAL VALUE, WORSE than COCAINE and METH! These laws have NOT changed. We've gone no where. Its still illegal in every country on the planet. Theres still a global treaty that forces every country on earth to criminalize marijuana.