Why not grow the best?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ganja 420, Oct 21, 2012.

1. So I always see people that grow shitty weed like orange jungle or some dumb name like that, my question is why the hell do people grow it other than for personal use? Like if you happened to want to sell it, not saying that I do, but why not grow the best like white widow or OG kush that will get you big bank? I know a lot of people grow good stuff, but there are also a shit load of dumb asses. Someone please clear this up for me.

2. [quote name='"Ganja 420"'] but there are also a shit load of dumb asses. Someone please clear this up for me.[/quote]

This sums it up.

3. Because they don't know about TGA hahaha

4. LoL Orange Jungle? haha.

But then again, if you cultivate any mediocre strain under the optimal conditions, wouldn't it still be pretty decent /w a good high?

But don't get me wrong now... Shitty strain or the best, you still have to put in the same amount of time and the effort so you might as well do the best right?

I know a friend who found a bean in his crappy bag he got and I told him based on the smoke I wouldn't even waste my time. Then 2 weeks later he showed me the plant and I still said don't bother. Then later on he hooked up with a friend who was an experienced grower and eventually he pulled off a full harvest....
    ...to make the long story short, the high only lasted me like 10 minutes as a true smoker but he harvested almost 1.5 oz off that plant and then got a AK47 clone from his buddy after that and he's been doing it ever since.

So I guess the moral of the story is that by starting that seed, it opened doors for him to do much better afterwards =)

5. Lol modef^ nice flavors.
    Truthfully though I guess some strains might yield more for.commercial value if that's what you mean? But Idk I don't think it sounds very applicable here, I'm sure which ever strain would turn out as appealing if grown right

6. People grow other strains because they like other strains. White window and og kush being the "best" is only your opinion. Besides that who wants to smoke the same shit all the time?

7. "best" ...according to who??

8. It's mostly poor cultivating skills, not poor genetics. Give an experienced grower a seed from that shwag and they'll turn it into some great cannabis.

9. What I mean is more popular strains cuz who doesn't like white widow, now come on?

10. Because people still like other strains, white widow may be famous but there are plenty of other strains that rock, and its not like WW is some super godly bud, plenty of strains can be more dank.

11. Well I'm not sure, I like all the big name strains like OG Kush, Sour Diesel Ect., but with that being said some of the best stuff I've smoked are these less popular strains, I think one I really liked was called fallen angel.. I guess it's just preference or easier to grow haha.

12. #12 BYOweed, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    [quote name='"Ganja 420"']What I mean is more popular strains cuz who doesn't like white widow, now come on?[/quote]

You shouldn't be growing a strain because of it's popularity...

A name doesn't make the bud any more tasty or potent.

13. A bagseed from some random brick weed, can potentially rival the best medicinal strains in terms of genetics. Then, it's all up to the grower and his skill.

A LOT of what makes the highest quality smoke, has to do with the grower's skills, patience and capability, not just the strain alone. And not everyone in the community gets all worked up and excited when they hear particular strain names; many, many folks know that it's good to sample around, and that sometimes the best names can lead to disappointment, either due to grower error or to a simple difference in preference. Different strokes for different folks.

For instance, I've bred and grown different Widow strains and crosses for over a decade and a half, and with nearly 5 crops a year sometimes I get bored with the usual, and want to grow and smoke something a little different (that's when growing 5+ strains a crop starts to pay off). :)

Some deceitful and unscrupulous merchants will scan their random grows or pick-ups for traits similar to the 'big names' (if you're lucky :p ), and call those unnamed plants things like "OG Kush" and "White Widow", to profit off the popularity that name has.

And odds are, unless you're familiar with real Widow or Kush varieties on a regular, or day to day basis, you wouldn't even know the difference, and if genetically sound and grown well enough, it would still be some killer dank. :p

14. maybe cuz some of us dont live in a medical state and/or shit out gold coins.