Why northern lights is the best strain the world will ever know

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by guerilla45, Mar 14, 2010.

1. the plant does seem to reflect the love back to the grower, the more you give her, the more she gives you, highly addaptive, that trait will tell the grower a lot about himself.

2. wow great stuff fellas , i'm glad this thread is still popin . i dig the brotherhood hippie stuff . they inovated and well did what they did .xcept for the all peace n love stuff its just not how the world is you know, i just didnt agree with the all peace thing . the world just has to have evil in it so we can oppose it . thats the nature off things ,its gonna be there wheather we want it to or not .at least my view . but they had great influance on modern life for sure .

i was a big hunter s thompson fan and he introduced me to kesey and other alternative lifestyles while i was living one.

after listening to my parents younger years of partying and my pops selling thc (powder) he liked meth too. anway it sparked my interest into not being a square . he stopped all of that when i was born but still to this day has his 2 ft triple beam in his garage and a mad hatter belt buckle that is a bowl too . point is they were hippies n i saw where they needed to be more aggressive not passive. but love them for giving me my values .

the counter culture as well as worldwide cultures are far more harsh than previous years and way more deadly. things have changed . mostly for us who are in the underground cultures who need to be extra mindfull of what is going on around us. trust is a luxury i cant afford ,comes to mind as i type this but i have to say even with that,,, in this forum i feel comfortable .

as for the substances ive indulged in are many . systems of how i have gotten them were more interesting than doing them to me. everything was strange n sloppy except how it was moved . i have great memories n some bad ones too. but i dont regret much. i look foreward to keeping it simple nowadays .. enjoying the grow with my plants , friends and, with my family. thanx for the links fellas great reads . cant get enough of histiry n backstories . love the ones too that have a little contraversey ,it ads to the mystique.
    if cannabis were legal i dont think it wouldve meant so much to us. thats just my op, n in no way do i take any prison sentance lightly . take care guys. i hope to hear more...

3. jiggaboojones

After John Griggs died in 1969 out 'at the ranch' in Modjeska Canyon from an overdose of Psilocybin (5,000 mikes) the deal was over. Whatever high-minded ideals Griggs held (and I sincerely believe that he did) they were over. Done. Finished.

So much for the 'Tibetan Book of The Dead' and the nightly readings around the campfire at the ranch where pure Owsley LSD was passed around for anyone who wanted to partake. Even the Moody Blues showed up in 1969 for a 'method to relieve psychic boredom' by taking 500-750 mikes of LSD just 'because' - why not? It was free.

The BOEL became just another 'drug empire' with cannabis/cocaine cowboys running rampant around Southern California doing their bullsh*t.

A good friend of mine lived in Afghanistan in the late 1960's and dealt directly with the BOEL on their excursions and he explained that these guys were the biggest assholes in the universe - it was all about money and nothing else.

There was nothing about 'peace, love and sex' with these guys - it was all about money. Period.

The 'real hippies' were never part of the BOEL and certainly never part of the later incarnations headed up by people who followed John Griggs. Griggs was a person of honor and integrity.

The 'dream' died the night he made the passage from this incarnation and onto the next one. And yeah - I considered/consider John Griggs a personal friend - he had 'the juice' which most of us will never understand or fathom. He understood his destiny and his purpose. Read "Be Here Now" for further explanation.

Words fail.

LD

4. #64 jiggaboojones, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    its the life , in this world we are surrounded by the capitalist nature of people n to have the one standout is what brands the greatness of our escapades. i have just quick read the links cuz my eyes r so tired but have them in mind to complete . i have much to learn about them i have just recently found out about them in my strain hunting the other day. there was a pic of what must have been your friend next to a plant with a smile ear to ear and with eyes holding nothing short of a whole heart. i just made that statement in general about hipppies n didnt mean to lump it in with the brotherhood . i value all people in one way or another.

i dont know much about the process of makin lsd or the components. after a 7 hit nightmare of a trip i qiukly gave it up. lol i do however wonder what was in those little gel tabs that blew minds away?

massive smugling takes a certain kind of person to deal n risk what they do n the first thing to sacrifice for success is their morals.

well i'm about out for the night. tomorrow after some reading i'll be back on to chck out whats goin on ,have a goodnight guys.. btw ld you gotta check out the movie ,,men who stare at goats . seems you would get a kick out of it. i just saw leaves of grass n i think yous guys would like that one too.

5. amen brother.
    Outdoor grown (garden green) NL was the first really good grass i had ever smoked back in the mid-90s whilst living in the UP.
    ..and it will always be my favorite.

6. great thread

NL was my fav strain until i came across C99

7. I can't argue with that. Cinderella 99 is an incredible strain. I have grown the Princess varieties preceding the release of C99, and then the true C99 when it was released. IMO the loss of Bros. Grimm was huge when it comes to very fine genetics. They produced some of the most potent strains on the market today.

I do love my versions of NL(#2X5 being my personal favorite), but C99 is defiantely right up there as well.

8. yea when i found out about the loss of Bros. Grimm i was pretty depressed. i still had seeds around so i was excited that i could bring the strain back. but there was only 3 seeds, and they sat in a film container for a few yrs. i tried to start them but they didn't sprout. i still have two other strains from them, but i'm nervous to try starting them.

since you guys brought it up, now i'm really looking at NL for an outdoor grow. i really miss it and would like to taste it again.

9. Guys, reading your stories gives me goose bumps. I feel like I have missed out on something huge... Something that I would be proud to dedicate my life to. I can only hope one day that I find my way to what remains of this once glorious brotherhood.

Here is a perfect example of that disrespectful attitude that turned all this into a gd get rich quick scheme.

10. EPIC thread. I'm glad such an amazing strain was born in my home state. I'm glad to be a part of MI, and I hope to one day equal the amount of work that you all put forth in your efforts, while at the same time maintaining integrity.

Good story, and good stuff, I will share with my friends :).

11. Im actually about to start a strain of NL myself and its cool to learn about all this history it just sucks that this prohibition has kept people in the shadows and kept this healing plant classified as an illegal drug. The internet is great and im glad sites like this is exsist I mean shit I cant trust a damn person so where else are you gonna talk about your growing experiences and pass a long knowledge to beginners.

12. #72 Guest, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    Aka , its hard to show respect toward an older generation when you never receive respect in the first place. See what you just did? You labeled an entire "younger bullshit generation" as one. You DID NOT label us as individuals. Instead you implied that older people have more respect as a group. This is the problem in itself.

Give respect and you will receive respect. Dignity and respect haven't gone away from the grow scene for the most part.

The comment about how "everyone wants push a button and have it done" ...are you now insulting hybrids and hydroponics?

You have smoked yourself retarded sir.

There's no reason to start throwing insults at each other. -JD

13. ARE YOU SURE YOU READ WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ... i am a part of the younger generation and in total agreement as i / we are saying in general that most of the younger generations values have gone astray from things like respect n honorable traits .we were obviously raised different . wich your post further proves . its ok its not realy your fault its all the things that infuance you. unfortunately . if you cannot see the world around you n honestly percieve the way in wich our current teens to 30's are carrying themselves and the things that they find cool not in compliance i dont believe you should be on this thread . it leads me to ask one question , do you like little wayne as an artist? this is not a hate thread so please dont respond .

just to give you an example of why people say to respect thier elders when your a kid is to avoid your missed conception of respect. in the places where i'm from if you didnt give respect to the older people the community either beat your ass , or cut you off. its one of the first things you learn when i was little so whatever. now if they were fuckin assholes and we have a few of them around everyone knew n it was taken care of or left alone depending on the situation. so maybe this makes sense to you n you can come correct or leave us alone.

14. #74 opinionation, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
    I can understand why my post was deleted, it was pretty well soaked with sarcasm. I just didn't have time to type up a proper response, yet felt the need to immediately defend the thread. I think jigga summed it up nicely though.

15. its all good o nation . i 'm glad to see that there are people around who feel the same way i do about this thread .

16. Let's keep this thread on topic and not let it turn into a bunch of arguing, alright guys?

Thanks. :wave:

17. TY JD.

I do not expect anyone to possess the passion I do for cannabis, or even come close to it for that matter.

Growing has been a major part of life, I have survived through the very best of times, to the lowest/worst of times. Some of these old strains are all that are left of the true originals. I think our respect should be focused on the species & subspecies of cannabis, and not so much at reach other.

• Like Like x 1
  18. i totaly agree n if it werent for the people to show me those strains or to have stories like this thread much of the history to much that has gone on before my time is a mystery . its not like they have alot of documentation on these subjects . thats why i value the people who have tht type of insight to offer . i am a recent grower with a want to be great at it . i love things like breeding n lineage since i got my first pitbull . cannabis is just one selection to the life of breeding and lineages .not to mention commercialization . but one i love none the less . the more i hear the more i want to know . this thread is great for opening that door so to speak .

northern lights was the first plant i have read about when i picked up a ht mag when i was 13 or so. but it wasnt relavent to me then. n it never said anything that brought me to think about it other than it got you realy high. its funny to me what matters when your young.

hey less how did you get involved with growing with sssc and what strains did yous guys like and focus on the most back then?

19. #79 lessismore, Mar 23, 2010
    I was never directly involved with SSSC. Back in the mid 80's, SSSC and The Seed Bank were the only commercial resources for seeds, other than a very tight subculture of growers which made seeds available, and/or would trade among each other.

Ego's have gone way out of control IMO. IMHO you cannot trust much of what any breeder says in their strain descriptions anymore. Remember, it is a business, and the tactics used are more about making you want to buy these seeds.

Many of those old strains are still available, only different breeders have renamed them to more attractive names. In our present generation, few are interested in a strain called M39, so why not rework it, rename it, and attract new attention to it.

If you look up old archives of strains, compare them to the times, you will see most strains are not new, only renamed. You cannot explain this to the new generation, so people will believe what they want to believe.

What we must remember is that cannabis has been cultivated for centuries, just as we had growers cultivating it, we had breeders working to improve upon various favorable traits. In today's market, we are seeing the exact same genetic lineages under several different names, with very different descriptions. It is just business now, and the new generation only sees this aspect of it, with little if any regard to the history behind it.

Most of my focus was spent on preserving old world land races, and some of the older hybrids. My breedng mainly swayed towards this preservation, however I do crosses to try to improve upon various traits which I find improve the strain. Strains like Haze, Skunk, Northern Lights, Early Pearl have been around for over 30 yrs. Strains like Romulan can be traced back to the Korean War. Strains from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey, and India can be traced back 1000's of yrs b/c it was often used as a religious ritual. Hash making is as historic to those cultures as a Blacksmith is to the old Western cultures. It was a trade few could perform and those which could, were considered elite among some in society, and outcast among other types of social standing. It is much like we see today, some growers/breeders are hailed as great by various standings in society, where other standings view them as merely targets for the DEA and other forms of LEO.

Regardless, IMHO cannabis is a plant which has earned respect, and should be given such. IMO the younger generation does not respect the plant, only what it can give them. This IMO is what will end in the loss of many fine genetics b/c they do not yield well, they do not auto flower, they take too long to flower. If only this new generation knew that the most potent strains are usually those which take their time to mature and often do not yield very well. ICE is a perfect example of a newer strain phased out by the next generation due to it's poor yields; yet it is one of the most potent strains known.

20. #80 guerilla45, Mar 23, 2010
    wow! I had to go do some guerilla things for a few days and I come back to find this thread is alive and kickin' a pleasant surprize. you guys are of good fiber, and I could not respect you enough. I think this basic idea has and will continue to elude some but others do give me a big grin and a little hope ( yeah you JIGGABOO ). This guy is young and smart, he lets his love for what hes doing guide him into good decisions and knows that the arrogance will keep him planted in mediocrity. and when I make a comment about a younger generation, he doesnt take it to heart, he knows who he is and what I'm sayin without a huge political correctness debate or any of that time wasting shit and it just makes it easier to do what were here for, helping each other and having a bit of fun.