Why northern lights is the best strain the world will ever know

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by guerilla45, Mar 14, 2010.

1. the story is about "respect"..............so you probally don't and won't believe...which is exactly what my point is. basic common respect is fast becoming a legend that no one believes!!

2. This whole thread is full of great stories... hopefully you guys can share a few more! Pinconning Paralyzer is one of the top strains I would love to try sometime!! People still talk about this strain alot and I have yet to see it. If I could just get a bag of it one time and be lucky enough to find a seed it would be great. You guys know anything about growing back in the day in upper michigan at all?

3. I have an uncle who dosen't smoke but I know he has a about 2000 paralyzer seeds that I want to talk him out of, and these are from '94' i'm guessin. he's in rose city area.

4. Those would be some great beans to get. I am guessing the Paralyzer is still around but you just have to know someone. I have heard of it alot and thats before I even lived in the area for awhile. Best NL I have ever had and probably the best bud I ever saw was this past fall and came from over there. :smoking:

5. guerilla45

If by 'Rose City' you're talking about the 'Rose City' that I know of then you probably know of StoneyGirl (gro4me.com) and her strains.

She has a 'true' NL #5 as part of her breeding program as well as a pure Afghani HP. At times her genetics are available at OGF, VP, MAMA, ORNORML, et al.

The Michigan connection with the Northern Lights line isn't universally accepted. Sam The Skunkman (breeder of the original Skunk #1 and one of the original Haze x NL #5 crosses that was eventually sold to Nevil at 'The Seed Bank' which appeared in the 1989 catalog.), he tells a different story that involves the Sacred Seeds group out of the Pacific Northwest in the late 1970's and through most of the 1980's.

Not my argument - just sayin'

There are still several cuts of the NL lines floating around Washington & Oregon from the old days. They're not difficult at all to source as a cutting.

If memory serves me correctly the 'Ortega Cut' out of California is a NL #5 phenotype. This was the strain used in the "Legend's Ultimate Indica" with one of the Canadian breeders - Breeder Steve at Spice of Life Seeds if I remember correctly.

LD

6. #46 lessismore, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010

^^:rolleyes:^^

As for Pinconning Paralyzer, the true originators went down in 88, or 89. They were very old shcool and shared many of their seeds. I know a handful may have some seeds, but most I see claimed as Paralyzer is not even close. Paralyzer had these tell tale fat leaf blades, thicker than most Indicas I have seen. It is also a very stout short plant, 4 ft or so max but very strong thick branching and stalks. Outdoors it will often grow wider than it is tall. One thing for sure, other than Purple Erkle, I know of no other strain with such a strong paralyzing effect. I my have to cross Purple Erkle with it and see if I can create an even stronger effect. :cool:

There's no reason to start throwing insults at each other. -JD

Sorry JD it will not happen again.

7. Yup I have been told the same thing, however there is a comon link, the forestry depts. also most of the big impact made by NL was in the 80s and I certainly believe the the north west breeding scene had hands in it (another group built on respect). as I under stand the major plantings of sizeable crops were here by "75" and the strain was comericalized by 79-80, it was really almost out of hand. no one will really ever know what happend exactly, other than it took a LOT of people with a lot of respect. if you can get just two people to work on a strain now a days without killin each other it would be a miricle..

by the way I hear those woods men in oregon look alot like the ones in n. mich.....probally related or somethin.....hehe

8. I know this, but many were growing NL in the early 70's in Michigan, and Paralyzer, said to be a cross of NL and an unknown Afghani had been around since about 72 or 73. I respect Sam, other than him selling out US genetics to the greedy Dutch breeders, but he also left many No. Ca. breeders involved in these hybrids in the dark while he went on to sell out the many great strains we had here in the US, and take all the credit for these strains; other than his slight recongnition of the Haze Brothers.

There are good cuts of the old Northwest NL around I'm sure, they are coveted by many growers. I am lucky to have preserved several versions of NL from old Seed Bank stock. It is great breeding stock to have in seed form. There is no proof of who created NL, but honestly, is there any poof of who created any of the legendary strains? We know Sam introduced man strains to Dutch breeders and then sold them; but several old school No. Ca. breeders have very different stories as well as to where & who actually worked to create some those strains.

We are just stating what we know from our experiences from when we were learning the art of growing in the mid 70's. The name Northern Lights came up alot in the early 70's among some of these old school growers from Michigan.

9. No argument from me on that. Now the story is being told that Sacred Seeds was part of a Northern California cabal controlled by Sam - talk about rewriting history. Jeez.................
    Again - no argument from me. I was living in Laguna Beach during the late 1960's and early 1970's when the 'Brotherhood' was running around causing all kinds of mischief and bringing in seeds from all around the world. They get left out completely in the retelling of cannabis history by many - maybe even most.
    Let me re-state my position. I have no personal knowledge of the origins of the Northern Lights strain lines other than what I've heard from old Oregon breeders and what Sam (and others) have written and posted around the web.

At the very least we can probably agree that it was 'weird times with weird strangers lurking around' to find a real way to make money off of growing cannabis. It seems that growing and selling seeds became one of the most profitable areas - good, bad or indifferent.

Peace

LD

10. wow I just wanted to say somethin about the respect amongst men that I saw as a kid, the way everyone just gave it back when they could and if ya could'nt that was cool too. I am very fortunate in my life to have a very small group of people that I would trust with my life without a second thought. and even more fortunate that they enjoy the culture as I do.

And thank all of you for your input, I don't care who believes what, just that all of you do me the favor of taking one minute to see what CAN"T be disputed, that is the trust and respect between people with a common goal. I mean does anyone want to say that this level of respect is NOT the 'ultimate advanced growing tool"? doesn't matter who, what matters is how, with the respect folks have for each other now I just dont' see it happening again.

11. I agree 100% with you on this. Most of us can only speak of our experiences, for much of these strains were around long before many of us were growing. There were many strains bought in from the Korean & Viet Nam wars, as well as all the travels and strain supplied by the Brotherhood of Eternal Love(I beleive that is who you were speakn of). Many of the breedrs who became known worldwide fail to mention the true origins of their strains and breeding stock; I believe b/c they want the notoriety, where in the 60's people could care less, they just wanted better bud.

I respect your post and you do a good job on these forums supplying great info. Although I am seldom respected for my views and opinions, it does not change the fact we are all here for our passion and love of cannabis. Growing has been a part of my life since my early teens. So anything I speak of is based on my travels, the many associates and partners over the yrs, and even from old school growers I was incarcerated with in the Fed system.

G45, I think it is kind of sad what the cannabis subculture has become. Respect is no loner the norm and common denominator, it is all bout profits and wantng o be the cool guy growing, it is no longer about plant as it is personal egos.

12. #52 LBH, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
    some folks can't handle being called out by someone with more knowledge on a particular subject,.....comes with the territory amigo :D

Personally, you'v been a great resource for me. Every time I've linked you to something over my head, you respond quickly and thoroughly. If people drop their ego's, there's not much not to like bud ;)

Again, GREAT conversation, thanks for the quick history lesson and thanks G45 for telling your story. I'm new, and I'm having some great success, but there will always be respect for those before me who paved the way and made it so easy for the influx of growers we have around today, myself included.

13. lessismore

For sh*ts & grins you might find this an interesting read: Lords of Acid - How the Brotherhood of Eternal Love Became OCs Hippie Mafia

The author is a reporter for the Orange County Register and has a book coming out this month with a similar title. He got 'most' of his facts correct.

There is also a documentary titled "Orange Sunshine - The Story of The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and the Last Days of the Endless Summer" that was produced by a son of one of the 13 original founding members (7 surfers and 6 bikers from a bar up in Anaheim near Disneyland - quite apropos eh?).

The documentary is in post-production and should be released sometime this summer. This guy had access to the remaining members and he got his facts correct.

Also worth reading about is Nick Sand and his partner, Owsley 'Bear' Stanley who lives in Australia and has a blog - who doesn't eh?

Good chatting with you on the 'old days' as it were/was.

LD

14. LUMPERDAWGZ, I like your attitude, respect to ya, great posting!!

15. I think most of the post in here are excellent and show respect among growers. We can all learn from each other regardless of experience level.

LD: I love both those stories. I always heard of how they made the LSD in those days. I stopped messing around with LSD in the 80's. It now makes sense why those orange barrels were never the same size and some were incredibly stronger than others.

Speaking of documentaries; I wonder if they will allow the release of the Howard Marks movie here in the US. I think it may already be released in the UK. there are so mny colorful people from those eras; Howard Marks, Sam, Mendo Joe, Romulan Joe, Leonard Pickard, Owsley, and Jung, that I really wonder why we have none in the following generations; sports stars and rappers hardly have the impact on society that these people had; they pretty much created a part of our history and mindset in future society.

I often imagine had we not created all these unjust laws against cannabis if us in the US would not be the world mecca in cannabis and those from around the world would flock here for the festivals and many varieties of seeds. Even the HTCC was modeled after No. Ca. cannabis festivals.

16. lessismore

BTW - Orange Sunshine was not 'straight' LSD-25 but rather was ALD-52 also discovered by Hoffman at Sandoz Labs.

Heh................

LD

17. Makes sense then why the variance in potency and effects. Very interesting, I wonder if many of the so-caled LSD of today is not ALD-52. I know we see alot of DOB, and Bromo about, but this could explain the latest come back b/c chemicals vital in making LSD 25 are very rare and hard to come by due to heavy control by the DEA.

Most of my LSD came from the Pickard era, but I remember a few trips on barrels from the West Coast.

Well, for me it is all about growing and breeding now. Those drugs played their role in my life, but not like growing and breeding has.

18. My friend gave me some NL clones, I have them going right now in my 2nd grow. 4 weeks into flower and they are looking great.

But I have to say, the other strain I am growing looks and smells a lot better so far.

19. #59 LumperDawgz, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
    gacland

If you got the NL #5 through OGF or one of the other OMMP 'clinics' (MAMA, VP, etc) then you'll be pleased with the final medicine.

If definitely roots easily - about 12 days using my 'old tired' method and I would imagine in an aero-cloner it would break some records.

Best wishes on your garden! You've got good stock, IMHO

LD

20. http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/533374-2nd-grow-organic.html

Not sure what exact one it is LD, my buddy gave me some of his clones. He has been living in the PDX area his entire life, lives on the coast now. He's been growing this stuff for years outside.

To be honest, I was never too impressed with the way it looked or smoked, but I think that is because my buddy just doesn't putr the effort into growing it, or something.

He gave me like 6 clones, I planted two, gave two to another buddy and ended up giving two back to him, because I didn't have space.

The ones I have going look and smell great, the ones my other buddy has are almost done and are amazing. I hope mine get to look like his.I think they gotr 4 weeks yet.