Why northern lights is the best strain the world will ever know

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by guerilla45, Mar 14, 2010.

1. I really appreciate the sanctity of the plant and the overall growing process. I identify with those who feel the same way. I know it's 'just a plant'. But it's not. It's my time, my effort, my care, me.........I feel that with threads like these.

Grow on!!!

2. dude congrats
    just for having that knowledge

3. very well said man thank you very much.

4. the bombest weed i ever smoke was NL, i was fuckin fucked!!!

5. So are any of you guys familiar with Fletcher's Pond? How about McMillan up in Luce Co.? How about the Tahquamenon River? Thunder Bay produced some very fine hybrids in it's day. The very first grow I did all on my own was in the McMillan area along the Tahquamenon River. I pretty much camped outdoors for the whole summer and would hike 8 miles into Mc Millan for supplies. My Grandfather lived there for the last 20 yrs of his life.

I also grew around Fletchers Pond and the Thunder Bay area. It was always a good feeling back then to know you could grow a good size crop and not have to worry bout those involved ripping it. Of Course we always made sure we had plenty of litle plots here and there, not well hidden for th area teenagers. It is almost like a ritual up there for them to go out looking for crops mid Sept to early Oct.

Do any of you remember the big Tuscola Co. bust in 1986 in Millington? It was the largest cultivation bust in the Co. How about the monster bust in Shiawassee Co. the year after? It was so huge they had to call in the National Guard to remove it all. LOL, I could write a detailed history of the grower subculture in some of these areas. Growing has been a part of my life for so long; i'm realy unsure if I know anything as well as I know growing and breeding.

6. a lot of smokers have been "fucked" on NL, weather they know it or not, NL is the king of Foundation Genetics. If you think of the breeding schedule: back cross and stabelize, its like a set of stairs, each time a cross pays off its cubed and treated like its own strain continually line breed and possibly crossed back to grand parents. The foundation genetics never change yet notable differences are seen in the progenys phenotype. when one of these different phenos is desireable it is stableized to be used for back crossing later and basicly treated as its own strain. I would find it very hard to believe that the genetic base of NL is a single cross from way back when. I would believe that an array of genetics was kinda sifted through and the desired traits were chosen and bred back to favored fems. I can tell you for sure that there was no tolerance for anything that was'nt the best. all of the inferior qualitys were destroyed.

7. I still haven't had the pleasure of smoking some tasty northern lights.

8. Now your talkin' about my play pen. I stomped around shiawassee co. and sw gennesse co. for years. those farmboys were doin' it BIG! crazy fuckers.....And a story about the sub-culture? I'm in.......and I have one to tell with hard facts to back it up via newspaper articles and TV. what a book we could write. LESS do know of the "dixieland" crew or as the news called it the "dixieland mafia"?

9. When you do, and you will, enjoy it with some REAL friends..ya know the kinda friends that ya only get 1 or 2 of in a lifetime.

10. Neither have I, but hopefully some day I will get the chance. I did get to try some hydro Blueberry that was pretty good.

11. damn yous make me feel like i'm a teenager again listenin to old war stories . its pretty awesome you probably should write a book or somethin Less. it would be cool to hear about alot of that stuff . its aways interesting to read about what you do and the paths of people that you have crossed. much of that stuff will be lost if you dont .

i have family where you live reel connisour n know fl pretty well .the grow houses are getting more organized with the immigrants and cartells buying up multiple houses in one community n filling them out . also the small timers are geting into it too i always hear about the mexican gang guys getting busted. not to mention they bring alot of shit in on subs now can you believe that . ..crazy days we live in.

i have never been out west but have been up n down the east. it seems very very different. the stuff that is just common knowledge out there when it comes to growing is just amazing. sometimes i forget how big of a state cali realy is.. the people i know from michigan are city guys so they are more urban with the way the do things. does the country guys no justice .detriot is rugged .

12. LOL, that is almost too funny. Shit G45 we might be related. I knew a few that grew for them, but other than that were not directly involved w/ the crew itself. People still talk about the old Swaffer Rd. bust. It was a work of genius; numerous fly overs and they could not detect enough evidence to get a warrant. If not for that damn nosey deer hunter snooping b/c he heard the chainsaws. Some of those stalks were 6 inches in diameter.

I remember back in the old days when it was common to see 2 or 3 cultivation busts a week from mid Sept to mid Oct. I may have been responsible for a few of them. Those were the good ole days man. I think the grows in Michigan are far more memorable than any other state I grew in.

13. Really enjoyed reading this thread..Always good to hear from old school growers. Less and Guirilla, your stories make me want to turn back the clock to these bountifull times. Times have changed as I'm now seeing the lack of care and disregard that goes into these commercial operations. I'm pretty sure the last batch of kb was tainted with some type of white chemical to beef up the weight. I've had enough of being hijacked by my dealer and decided on growing my own with Northern Lights as my only choice to start with. My question is, this strain has been so watered down that I'm not sure what Northern Lights cross I should be looking for. Sagarmatha has a Northern Lights #9 x White Widow that seems like a winner but haven't seen or read any reports. This will be my first grow and would like to at least know it's quality genetics. Any suggestion on a particular breeder? :smoking:

14. a friend of mine does SENSI's NL and I think even LESS would agree, that line is amazing. you can get em' through attitude. LESS could tell you more but it seems to me that the older more original genetics seem to be very low odor. NL adapts VERY quickly to its breeders needs and is easy to modify just a little without going outside the genetics (crossing with something) I've seen the same clones from the same mother show different colors just due to the enviornment when separated, but all will yield great and hit you hard if you take that extra toke. Its like some of them can tell what you expect and want to give it to you. hehe, mind reading weed, some time you'll unleash a crazy taste that is very appealing and that is when I do dumb shit like forget that I took a few hits already and just keep puffin just to enjoy the taste, I don't recommend it. I have had some hard core spinouts with this strain.

15. #35 lessismore, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010

I know Northern Lights well. One of my favorite strains to grow. I have #1, #2, #2X5, and #5 which I worked very hard to perserve. There was a #9X5 but it was never released and honestly, I think Sagarmatha is just using the #9 tag. Many places still sell #2 and #5; #5 being the most popular. I always found the #2X5 to be the most potent, the #5 had the better yield. Sensi Seeds has a good Northern Lights, Femaleseeds.nl has a good one but in female only, and Nirvana has a good one as well. There are a few more under different names from other companies. There are some good NL's out of Canada, but I have lost faith in the ethics of the Canadian market when it comes to seeds.

IMO Northern Lights is the easiest strain in the world to grow. It is so forgiving, very tough indoors and out, not sensitive to nutes, easy to clone, and just an all around easy strain to grow, and you can make mistakes throughout the grow and still get a decent yield.

To me, the many versions I have are each unique in their own way, yet very similar as well. None have a strong odor, which makes them very good for stealthy indoor crops. It is one of the best true breeding lines I personally have ever encountered; I have yet to see it conflict with another strain and is very easy to get true from F1 seeds.

16. Good stories fellas, I have a couple northern lights girls im gonna be cutting in a few days, def a strain im gonna grow again, Its nice to hear a little bit of my states history. your dad and his buddys sounded like a bunch of good ole boys.

17. Less and guerilla....thanks for your recommendations. I'm gonna go with Sensi Seeds from the Attitude..I was linked to a grower a couple years ago who made the mistake of growing,selling, and living in the same proximity. He was growing NL and Ak-47 on state land about 20 acres behind his property and gave a buddy and me samples before it had a good cure on it. These plants were grown right and with love cause this was some of the best bud I can recall smoking, specifically the NL. I thought I had just won the lottery with this type of connection. I managed to get one phone call out to him...the day before his arrest. Was going to be picking up a large quantity only to find out that one of the biggest busts in this state had went down. This guy was super cool...the type of dealer you'd actually like to hang out with. The NL high was something that still sticks with me and I'm thrilled to be picking up some of these rightous beans.

18. Great education guys, thanks :wave:

19. immmmm not really sure what to believe .. hmmm

yep..pics or it didnt happen..

20. whatever,,, that is stuff for a private mesage .dont spread your negativity here please.
    i'm sure he was into takin pics when he was a kid n furthermore after that comment do you deserve to see them....no need to answer me this is retorical and just a friendly statement . the last thing i want to do is see this thread turn in to a hate blogg with doubters n naysayers . i'm sure he made it all up and his friends are just going along with the story.