Why northern lights is the best strain the world will ever know

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by guerilla45, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Hell yeah! I just read all 15 pages.

2. WOW,
    I'm really excited. As I said before somewhere in this beautiful tread, I grow Northern Lights #5 from the early 90's. I crossed NL#5XNL X NL#5 then crossed it to the same cross, NL#5 X NL#5........X NL#5. I planted a bunch of seeds and came up with one plant that is a confirmed female and it is soooo Afgani. Wide, wide big leaves and and a smell that is great. Pictures soon.

3. Just an awesome primer on how to act, man...not only in growing, but in life.

Thank you for your work with one of my all time fav's.

4. That's the story of how I grew up. It brought a tear to my eye as I thought about my Dad who is passed away.

5. Good shit right??? Beats sitting here arguing about how far our lights are over our plants any day of the week.

6. what a GREAT story. When I was but a lad,barefoot and carefree in Hawaii, smokers and growers for the most part had a different morality. Strains came from whatever seed ya happened to have started with. Most grows were outdoors, pollen drifted in the air, strains changed without permission. As I grew up and the "hippies" (OG's for you youngsters) went to prison, we kids took over. When I think of my first grow room....the equipment we used...sigh. Many years later, after a bit in the federal system (for growing the weed, what else), I'm at it again. I had real trouble with the new seeds/strains even with new tech lights, nutes etc. So I started a grow with some big black seeds from a bag of dried out Mex. I got such good results, size, color(red and gold), taste ( remember Panama Red ). Recently, while standing in line with Mr Jimi , I bought a bunch of clones from the many name brand strains for sale. I brought them home and planted them as a bush/hedge in the back yard and have left them to seed. I don't know what "strain" I have developed , but it sure looks good under lights so far. What shall I name it eh? If it ends up being yummy, how shall I share it with the world?

7. good stuff. didnt read the whole thing but i thumbed thru most of it. kept me entertained while i smoked this fatty. ill rep ya if the machine lets me g

8. well i joined this forum because of seeing this thread, i live in australia tho but have been growing and refining NL for bout 3 years now in hydro and have seem to have found that the seeds ordered from most seed companys display 3 distinct phenos 1. is a tall branchy ok producer. 2. is a little shorter with large buds but not the best smoke. number 3 is my faveorite tho the shortest with massive top heavy crowns and bluish hues form at around week 5 of bud. i only grow pheno 3 now tho. as well as some new strains. tangerene dream is a nice strain but never the less it wouldnt be here if it wasnt for a few guys way before i was born who treated the plant that we all know and love with the respect it deserved, i know this and im only 23. i would actually love to chat with you guys bout the oldschool way because i never felt confortable discussing plants with people my own age as i always seem to be a different train of thought, there all about money. what ever happened to just you and the boys sitting round getting baked on some killer weed that you can take pride in saying I grew that.

9. yeah so i just got done reading the first 10 or so pages and then the last 2! Just goes to show that I sort of have always held true and pure idea's on cannabis for a "youngin". And you know what!? Our generation is by far the most diverse and self-centered. No argument there. hahaha (takes a long slow rip from joint.... exhales, takes sip of water). You know what though, It's about not having those pre-determined assumptions about a person, strain, animal, whatever. Those people I believe are the truly gifted human beings.

Great entertainment might i add, took me literally 4ish hours to navigate and soak up this thread.. great stuff

P.S. Watched smokey the bandit for the first time on demand while i began this thread and it really kinda mind fucked me (in a phenomenal way!!)

10. One of the great things about Northern Lights is that it has so many phenotypes.

I've been growing NL for 20 yrs and it never fails. I've crossed it, I've back crossed it, and you know the NL genetics will be proven to show up in some incarnation.

Right now I'm growing one plant that is NL x NL xNL backcross that looks like Kush or close. Definitely the Afgani genes. Squat, strong, whith huge leaves.

Along with that I'm growing God Bud and a (NL x NL) x God bud cross that looks good. It ought to be pretty damn potent.

Of course I'm growing regular old school NL too. Love it!

11. I call shenanigans. In the late 70's early 80's the big growers in the North West and Cali put labels in the bags of their sensimilla. Northern Lights, Skunk, Princess, Cinderella (which came from princess) many times would come with funky labels inside the bags. Only a hand full of people were doing this. They gave out stupid posters and such with their pot until the war on drugs and hefty sentences.

12. I love northern lights. It was the first strain I ever grew and it's so easy to grow. It is so durable, it's a beast. Will handle so much shit that other strains quickly die from. It's a great yielder and awesome smoke as well. Nice and mellow, i really like it.

13. I feel like making that my sig...

14. #235 MiGrower2, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
    Guerilla45,
    Thanks for creating this thread. Been reading it from page 1 the last few days. Great Reading, Great History. Being born late 59 and smoking since 73 and Growing for just over a year, I find this fascinating. Looking forward to reading the rest!! As a information junkie also, this is fabulous. I have so many comments I will not bore you with them all. But this Thread, The People, THIS IS THE SHIT. CLASS A. Righteous. Thanks to all. Peace, Mi2 :smoke:

15. Sick post not something you find everyday on grasscity!

16. What would ppl recommend for a northern lights strain from attitude?

17. get NL 5 X Big Bud. Great yield and fairly good potency.

18. I know this is several years old-but I had to reply. Maybe everything in this story is true,except the part about the breeding of the Northern Lights. Your old man may have been growing weed, but they weren't the ones who developed NL. I smell bullshit. The commonly told story of where NL came from is the true story. It was first bred,grown and smoked in Washington, and Oregon. Nice try.