Why no HPS for cabinet grow??

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by wolfgang123, May 5, 2011.

1. So i was thinking about my plans for the next couple months and i was wondering why no one has done it? like a 150w or 200w HPS and MH (for veg) in like a cool tube with a fan in the tube for ventilation? would the cabinet still get too hot??

Also what are yalls take on the 125w CFLs?? i was considering doing 2 or 3 of those with 2 2700k 26w watt CFLs if the HPS light turns out to be a bad idea.

2. Im actually about to start my grow this weekend, ill be using a 400watt MH/HPS in a cabinet, im not going to be running the cool tube but my ventilation setup is going to be one dope ass ghetto setup lol but i will let you know about the heating issues, ill be starting a journal here soon as well

3. It all depends on your space, ventilation, and all that.

If you have a small cabinet then simply venting through the light might not cut it.

4. if you can cool a 250w hps in a cabinet, then do it! its very possible

5. its been done just not often, heat is a problem in a lot of cases

like medmadness said it depends on several factors

6. Think of it this way. If the air temp OUTSIDE your cabinet is warm and then you cool your light with that warm air...then the heat is just going to go up up up!

If you can keep the temp surrounding your cabinet cool then you've got a shot at it. I ran a tent with an AC unit on the outside once and with a 600W hps I had to get the room temp to 62 F for the tent temp to be 76-78F (with lights on of course).

Like others said it can be done but be realistic about your specific grow. Running a hot grow will be a disappointment.

Good luck and happy farming!

MM

7. You can efficiently cool a 150w hps. That's about the limit I would go for a cab. But the best part is that your plants will love you for that if it can be cooled

8. I have been really considering it. Idk i am truck between 4 7000 lumans CFLs or a 150w HPS setup.

9. 150 watts of cfl puts out pretty much the same amount of heat as a 150 hps. I used to use the cfls.

10. Go with the hps you will have better yield and denser bud in the long run. Less wires. Easier to setup. I bet if you get the cfls you will end up buying an hps in the future.

11. What are you talking about, people do this everyday, my micro setup has a 250w HPS for flowering, and a 250w mH for Vegetating...