Why men should not debate abortion

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by stupidstoner, Oct 6, 2012.

1. I see it this way: The only reason any man should commentate on abortion is if it is his child or his grandchild. All other men, like politicians, should stop acting like it's some affront to them. We as men are not really affected by a woman who is our friend getting an abortion, and if it's a random woman it's definitely not a man's business whether she should get an abortion or not.

The only people who should discuss the topic are women. They are the one's truly affected. If a law comes into place that prevents abortion, then women are most affected, not a male that does not have a child on the way. This is why I refuse to commentate on it. Sure I have my opinion but I'm not going to tell anyone why they should or shouldn't get an abortion. Just a thought on my mind that I felt like sharing.

If y'all wanna discuss it please do, I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on this. :smoke:

2. the reason abortion is such an important point of debate in washington is because the majority is old white men... it's a tactic meant to stall and distract

3. If you don't support abortion, don't get one?

4. [quote name='"zjsladek"']If you don't support abortion, don't get one?[/quote]

haha hey we agree

5. Seemed like you were pretty okay with commentating on abortion in this thread. :p

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_z2sxKs54I]Consolidated - Butyric Acid - YouTube[/ame]

7. Why people on the internet shouldn't use "y'all" in a serious debate

8. True I did, but it was more because I felt the OP shouldn't do it based upon what she said about her life. Plus she asked for advice :p

From now on I swear I won't commentate upon abortion, scouts honor :D

9. #9 GrassCtyCitizen, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
    You talk like you think men and women are a completely different species. If a friend of mine gets an abortion it affects me greatly and if you don't see that it would do the same to you or any other man than you're blind.

The politics of the whole thing is a completely different topic (although internally intertwined). The majority of politicians in Washington only care about re-election and money. That's the simple truth.

They are willing to sell their beliefs down the river in an instant if it means getting re-elected. It's just like a musician today, they start out with talent and meaning behind their music but once they make it in the industry they let other people write their music and, as a consequence, take all the emotion, talent, and meaning out of the music. Effectively (and sometimes literally) becoming a cardboard cut-out of the talented musician they once were. It is the same with politicians.

The examples are endless. For instance when Larry Craig (former republican senator) was caught in a Minneapolis Airport bathroom for soliciting homosexual sex to an undercover cop. Now for the good part, Craig consistently voted against rights for homosexuals.

"In reporting on Sen. Larry Craig's guilty plea on disorderly conduct charges, the nightly network news broadcasts and The New York Times all ignored Craig's positions on legislation concerning gay and lesbian rights, including voting against legislation to ban employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation."

NY Times, networks ignored Sen. Craig's record on gay and lesbian issues | Research | Media Matters for America

The hypocrisy is astonishing.

I think that classic acronym sums it up the best

C.R.E.A.M.

10. Actually, my friend getting an abortion is similar to finding out my friend is gay. Sure it's shocking at first but I realize it is there choice and I won't rail them for their choice. I said it doesn't affect males, and I greatly over exaggerated. I should have said that it really isn't our right to say anything as the choice doesn't involve us in any way.

11. How would a friend getting an abortion affect you greatly? :confused:

12. Ok we can pass a anti abortion law when we pass a males over 20 have to be unics law.

13. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on any subject regardless of gender..

14. I never said we should support it or ban it. I'm just saying that males as a group shouldn't try and say "Here's whats okay to do with your body" because we do not have a stake in 99.99999% of pregnancies that occur.

Yes and I do have my own opinions on it, I'm just not going to argue for or against it with a friend or a random female who wants to get an abortion or not. If you want to say to your girlfriend or wife "Don't get an abortion" fine man, that's your child and is your business, but you shouldn't tell someone else wife/girlfriend "Don't get an abortion" because you think it is morally wrong because that is NOT your child and is NOT your business.

15. I think that it's wrong to bring children into the world. There's no reason in the universe to selfishly create a replica of yourself which will have to live and die in this dreadful place. Abortion clinics shoud be free for all girls and women, and easily accessable without any harrassment from the right-to-lifers, whether they are men or women.

16. I have to disagree with you that it is not their business. For some people they attribute the same level of value on a human life that is only a month old to one that is years old.

If you were walking down the street and saw somebody about to beat a child to death would you intervene or say to yourself "Its not my business whether or not that person wants to kill that other person."

I am totally for the option of woman to have abortions in the case of rape or incest or their is danger to the life of the mother, but I don't think abortion in any other case is warranted.

That's my viewpoint from a moral perspective but I'm a realist so I'm not that vocal against abortion because we have an overpopulation problem anyways.

17. oh so can Women debate circumcision?

Why can't we have an opinion on things?

18. Show me where I said you can't have an opinion on it. I just do not think it is my place as a man to tell women that they should or shouldn't have an abortion unless it is my child. Circumcision is not that hot of a topic and not that huge of decision, and in most cases it's the mother and the father choosing whether the baby is circumcised.

19. #19 figarofigaro, Oct 6, 2012

I'm saying the same thing.

Everybody can have their own opinion... but don't share it.

You sharing YOUR opinion that "men SHOULD NOT debate abortion" is a catch 22.

[​IMG]

BAZINGA

20. #20 stupidstoner, Oct 6, 2012
    Actually, I'm saying that you shouldn't share your opinion on it unless it affects you. The fact that males do debate abortion affects because I have to hear male politicians try to convince the other side that it's wrong/right, I hear it from people I socialize with, and I have to see self-righteous zealots blow up on somebody for saying something that is in contrast to their belief on abortion.

Also, bazinga is usually reserved for when you've completely and utterly decimated an opponent in a debate. Not for when you've simply told someone what you think their argument was and didn't fully appreciate the scope of what they were saying.