Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why marijuana sometimes is shown to cause damage

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by thereddfoxx12, Jul 22, 2010.

1. #1 thereddfoxx12, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    As new studies come out I have noticed that they are starting to link smoking (anything) to causing possibly significant brain damage due to oxygen deprivation. Maybe the studies on cannabis are flawed due to the fact that what they are sometimes looking at is actually brain damage caused by how the user ingested thc. This is why Vaping is known to have a clear (free of oxygen deprivation/"head-rush") effects high, but sometimes the user craves the other component of cannabis (CBD) which is not activated by vape smoking. These people use safer methods (Single hit sessions, vapes,edibles) and maintain a healthy brain. These people are lacking the brain injury and have more energy, which is why the studies where self proclaimed smokers who tend to use healthy methods volunteer themselves, the studies normally show no damage to the brain of the study participants.

At the same time the studies they do are on groups who use oxygen depriving smoke techniques such as having multi-hit (damaging) sessions are shown to have damage to the brain. The ones who do that are highschool stoners, joint/blunt users, and people who use multiple hit pipes often, and sadly this makes up most of the pot-smoking community. So my point is that method of consumption and probably amount of consumption for one-hit users is what I believe determines whether cannabis harms the brain of the user or not, this in my opinion explains why the studies have had very mixed results.

2. The study that showed a link between brain damage and smoking cannabis was disproved due to error in method. They were suffocating the test subjects, which of course leaves to brain damage. Currently there isn't anything showing legitimately and conclusively that smoking cannabis leads to brain damage, that I know of. Quite the opposite actually, marijuana has been found to have distinct neuroprotective properties and could possibly encourage neurogenesis in the hippocampus and other parts of the brain.

3. You do say these studies you are referencing are 'new', though. Do you mind providing links?

4. What studies? Smells like some bullshit to me.

5. Only study I read that discussed brain damage was that one with the monkeys getting suffocated by gas masks and pure weed smoke.

6. Depriving the brain from oxygen for minutes will kill braincells. So unless you hold your hits for 3-5 minutes everyday, you're fine.

7. Yea, thats the only study i´ve heard of where it was "proven" to show that it caused braincell damage, but they where suffocating the monkeys, so it was no surprise.

8. there is nothing in this world that is completely benign. brain cells die ALL the time and are constantly being replaced. whats important are the connections between the synapses which is how memories and thought stored and travel and those are destroyed by a persons disuse.

of course smoking has some ill-effects. nothing in this world is free, you have to give up something to get something of value. its a rule of nature. you just get more bang for your buck with marijuana so to speak. lol

9. From the soon to be released "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List- July 2010"
    (420 pages like this! :eek:)

NEURONS/ BRAIN CELLS

Cannabinoid Receptor Localization in Brain (full - 1990)
    Cannabinoid receptor localization in brain

Cannabinoid Receptor Agonists Protect Cultured Rat Hippocampal Neurons from Excitotoxicity (full - 1998)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Agonists Protect Cultured Rat Hippocampal Neurons from Excitotoxicity

Loss of Cannabinoid Receptor Binding and Messenger Rna Levels and Cannabinoid Agonist-stimulated [35s]guanylyl-5'o-(Thio)-triphosphate Binding in the Basal Ganglia of Aged Rats. (abst - 1998)
    Loss of cannabinoid receptor binding and messenger... [Neuroscience. 1998] - PubMed result

Endocannabinoids in the central nervous system--an overview. (abst - 2002)
    Endocannabinoids in the central nervous system--an... [Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2002 Feb-Mar] - PubMed result

Neurons on cannabinoids: dead or alive? (full - 2003)
    Neurons on cannabinoids: dead or alive?

Cannabis and the brain. (full - 2003)
    Cannabis and the brain -- Iversen 126 (6): 1252 -- Brain

Role of Endogenous Cannabinoids in Synaptic Signaling (full - 2003)
    Role of Endogenous Cannabinoids in Synaptic Signaling -- FREUND et al. 83 (3): 1017 -- Physiological Reviews

Cannabinoid Modulation of Peripheral Autonomic and Sensory Neurotransmission. (abst - 2003)
    Cannabinoid Modulation of Peripheral Autonomic and Sensory Neurotransmission. - Medical Journals - Healia

Cannabinoids and neuroinflammation (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids and neuroinflammation

Defective adult neurogenesis in CB1 cannabinoid receptor knockout mice.
    (full - 2004)
    Defective Adult Neurogenesis in CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Knockout Mice

Marijuana-Like Chemicals in the Brain Calm Neurons (news - 2004)
    Marijuana-Like Chemicals in the Brain Calm Neurons - MedPot.net/Forums

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005)
    Journal of Clinical Investigation -- Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Marijuana Promotes Neuron Growth (news - 2005)
    Study Shows Marijuana Promotes Neuron Growth - OhmyNews International

Cannabis 'can expand the brain (news - 2005)
    Cannabis 'can expand the brain | Daily Post; Liverpool (UK) Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Marijuana May Spur New Brain Cells (forum/news - 2005)
    Marijuana May Spur New Brain Cells - TreatingYourself.COM Online Community

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005)
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain (news - 2005)
    Medical News: Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain - in Psychiatry, Anxiety & Stress from MedPage Today

Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain (news - 2005)
    Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain - health - 13 October 2005 - New Scientist

Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation (full - 2006)
    Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation -- Palazuelos et al. 20 (13): 2405 -- The FASEB Journal

Differential effects of cannabis extracts and pure plant cannabinoids on hippocampal neurones and glia. (abst - 2006)
    Differential effects of cannabis extracts and pure... [Neurosci Lett. 2006] - PubMed result

The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis in health and disease. (abst - 2007)
    The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis in hea... [Neuroscientist. 2007] - PubMed result

Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces dopamine release in the human striatum.
    (full - 2009)
    Neuropsychopharmacology - Abstract of article: [Delta]9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Induces Dopamine Release in the Human Striatum

Endocannabinoid signaling in neurotoxicity and neuroprotection. (abst - 2009)
    Endocannabinoid signaling in neurotoxicity and neu... [Neurotoxicology. 2009] - PubMed result

Cannabinoid receptors in brain: pharmacogenetics, neuropharmacology, neurotoxicology, and potential therapeutic applications. (abst - 2009)
    Cannabinoid receptors in brain: pharmacogenetics, ... [Int Rev Neurobiol. 2009] - PubMed result

Cannabinoid receptor CB1 mediates baseline and activity-induced survival of new neurons in adult hippocampal neurogenesis (full - 2010)
    Cannabinoid receptor CB1 mediates baseline and activity-induced survival of new neurons in adult hippocampal neurogenesis

Now you all have a choice!

You all can go on, cluelessly guessing and supposing :confused: , or you can read some of those and educate yourself! And don't give me the "I don't understand the big words" excuse! Even the average high school student can understand the news articles- and we are all over 18 here! :p

We have got a lot of MMJ related stuff coming up this fall, and it really helps to know what you are talking about when you are trying to change people's minds! Once you've learned the medical facts, it is easy to demolish most prohibitionist arguments! And with my list- you have the medical studies to back yourself up! (Read the news articles, and then give the prohibitionist the actual study to wade through, while you look like a genius, spouting the facts from the news! :D lol)

Granny :wave:

10. I applaud you sir! Well done!! :D:hello: Sooo much information!! Nicely done.