Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why legalize?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Kystonerdude, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Before anyone freaks out let me explain. I am 49 and have smoked weed for 38 years. In that time I have ever longed for legalized marijuana in Kentucky, and was ready to move to Colorado, until my good friend told me what he pays for weed. I only smoke top shelf and about 1 to 2 grams a day on a slow day. I pay no more than 240 an ounce. How much will that same ounce cost when legal?

2. Over 400....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. That sucks! I guess I could quit eating which is hard when you always have the munchies!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Up here in Canada the long awaited legalization finally arrived on Oct17....ha ha ha, why that date, no one knows. I'm 65 and have been smoking weed for over 50 years, back in the day we'd pay $60 a quarter and $240 an ounce, can't say what shelf it came from, more like under the counter. Today you can only buy from the government stores (only 1 store, 500 kilometers away from where I live, through mail-order. The weed isn't from any craft grower but instead through licensed producers and their weed is crap (so I'm told as I haven't sampled any yet) So now I'm working on growing my own....thank you Grasscity and the other forums out there that discuss growing. Going to be a steep learning curve but I'm retired now and have a lot of time to educate myself....been buying through a dispensary the last 4 years....thats shut down now due to legalization

5. It totally depends on your state's production. If there is less supply, then prices will be higher. If there is too much supply, then prices will be lower. Oregon was the epitome of too much supply leading to low prices for quite a while. I rarely buy dispensary flower, but my neighbor has told me about $150 ounces multiple times -wait for the products to go on sale, sign up for your local dispensaries rewards program, and if you can join your state's medical program, do so -it leads to more discounts and tax free products. And I have definitely seen untrimmed/poorly trimmed flower at low prices, even when there are no sales.

Also, there are way more advantages to legalization than cheaper flower... Higher quality products, test results that you can analyze, a wider variety of products, way more CBD products, being able to buy from a storefront that maintains business hours versus waiting for a dude in a parking lot who may not show up (at all or on time), and the list goes on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I think that the one or two good things that come from legalization are:
    1.) That you can now grow without breaking the law.
    2.) That you can have some on your person without breaking the law.

To me, those are the two most important things, buying overpriced weed isn't high on my list :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. True, we can grow up to 4 plants and personal carry is a total of 30 grams.

8. or you could just grow your own if you lived where it was legal.. then it wouldn't cost you 400 an Oz lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. . We still grow in Kentucky. We just want to show the world what we got and to make sure that weed is affordable in one of the poorest states in the country. Why have medical marijuana or recreational if only the rich can afford it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Just decriminalizing it would probably better than legalization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. That's the real answer.

12. Depends where you go, places in CO will have sales all the time for $200 ounces or under. Plus legal weed means more people growing which means it is easier to find a grower to buy directly from and then you can get it dirt cheap.

13. #13 MrFooey, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    I live in California. Home of the best bud in the world.
    Yeah right. Legalization has only made it harder to buy legally.
    The closest adult use storefront shop is over 35 miles away because of legislation allowing municipalities to outlaw cannabis businesses. There are many delivery services available most of which are operating illegally or only licensed to sell to medical patients.
    Taxation has prices up around 65 dollars for an eighth ounce from a fully legal licenced shop. Wholesale prices are down to under 800 a pound for outdoor grown. You have to be licensed to grow that, and are taxed on square footage and/or sales.
    All this has resulted in street prices at 100 an ounce for good sun grown and 150 for indoor. Black market weed is alive and well in California.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. My point was if your state was legal & you didn't want to pay 400 an Oz you could just grow yourself lol

15. I'm only responding to your title "why legalize? We all like to get stoned because it feels good. That "feel good" feeling we all get is basically just a side effect of the medicine (cannabis). Cannabis is medicine first and foremost and people need it to heal without being thrown in jail. We need to decriminalize it world-wide so people can make it a part of the healing regime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. That's a given. Most of my cannabis loving friends do grow for themselves here in Colorado, but there are always going to be people who don't want to take the time and don't mind paying. Or, they are intimidated by the process.

17. That's a mighty big statement. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Did you read the next line?

19. Legalization or not for millions of folks it doesn’t matter if you’re employers can still legally do random testing and fire you.
    And no I’m not quitting a job that breaks the 6 figure threshold, barely, but in the Midwest those jobs don’t fall out of the trees.
    I’d continue to dodge the law which is easy enough if you follow the three rules if I could just not play cat and mouse with my job.

• Like Like x 1
  20. My bad. Sorry. :sad:

• Like Like x 2