why is using cannabis "anti-social?"

Discussion in 'General' started by ReallyRed, Mar 1, 2011.

1. according to some places i've been reading, the common view is that using cannabis is an anti-social behavior.

but, anyone that's done it knows that it is anything but.

i mean, yeah, if all you're doing is toking on your own and such, that is... but how many times have people come together for a laugh or whatever and cannabis has been a part of that? more often than they'd like to admit.

i mean, when i'm with friends and toking, we tend to have hour long conversations about all sorts of stuff and cannabis seems to be the lubricant to getting everyone talking about stuff without fear of rejection which would normally stymie talking about it normally.

your views?

2. Yes anti-social, hence why there are gatherings of thousands of people once a year to smoke it, and why it has such a huge cultural influence

3. Because it is not an accepted activity in society.

4. There's 350,000 members on this site alone. Cannabis is obviously an anti-social activity to partake in.

edit: I would argue this plant brings more people together in a social manner in modern society than anything else we call prevalent.

5. To be clear, anti-social means going against society, not being alone. So the columbine kids were anti-social. The loner stoner is, well....lonely

I just learned this too

6. According to a report I saw 27% of the UK pop smoke dope - UK has been anti-social for years ha ha

7. Yes. Almost everyone has the belief that anti-social means avoiding socializing. So yes, as you pointed out, smoking weed is anti-social because it is not socially accepted.

I now predict this thread will continue with people ignoring this and sharing anecdotes about how they smoke weed and become more talkative.

8. an·ti·so·cial

1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
    2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
    3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
    4. Psychiatry . of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

I think this term is generic. In psychology at least it's used in both manners.

9. dude when i smoke weed i'm way more talkative

10. granted, i will agree that it has multiple meanings, but it feels like this multiple meaning is deliberately used... reason i feel that way? how many people in their formative years are against being called "antisocial?" given how it's used as a sort of perjorative nowadays, it makes sense why people are avoidant of being labeled as such.

now, if they were to say "it's antisocial as in it's against what society levels as acceptable" that would likely not have nearly as much impact since a lot of people i know that use it don't really give a shit wether "society" considered it right or not.

basically, if they used the term properly, it would probably entice more people to use it since "Society" has been getting a rather bad rap as of late...

11. Probably because many rather smoke by them selves and relax but the majority smokes it with a group

12. Because it makes most people shy and reclusive. It doesn't hinder your inhibitions like alcohol does but rather increases them.

13. Oh i took it more like anti-social disorders, not like anti-societal culture hahaha. Makes sense though.

14. Well if I smoke a bit too much weed i'll be anti-social but thats like with anything, if you drink too much, you'll pass out on the floor and be"anti-social"(2 extremes but trying to make a point lol). Different is that weed isn't a stimulant like alcohol so it depresses(if thats the word?). Moderation is key.

15. Because it is illegal and most people take all laws, even the stupid ones, seriously.

16. i dont get it, i hate smoking by myself, i always smoke with friends.

17. One definition for antisocial(as there are a few) is
    2. Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior.

So, as you see, smoking weed IS antisocial. The question of the OP is Why?

18. hahaha TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OH WISE PROPHET

19. Because most stoners use it alone.

20. its not anti-social, us enlightened stoners just find it hard to deal with the everyday bullshit in the world, and its retarded inhabitance. so because of this we recluse in our lairs alone in more suitable company.