Why is tripping called tripping?

Discussion in 'General' started by Man Plus Eyes, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I can understand it in the context of taking a trip, or a journey, like a short vacation.

But is it also to do with the tripping feeling you get?

I tend to feel like my mind is tripping up over itself as I forget the context of what I was thinking about.

Like I forget the background and context of a thought, but continue with the thought until another one stems from it, and I forget the one before it.

So, why is it called tripping?

[​IMG]

2. Probably for those reasons. I doubt the meaning has any specific, set-in-stone reason for meaning what it does, it's just another piece of drug lingo. For the same reason drinking lots of codeine syrup is called "leaning", because you get drowsy and lean.

To continue the tripping balls cartoon spree...

[​IMG]

3. Because that's what it is. Hah. You just have to accept it.

4. Where is your contribution to the tripping balls cartoon spree?

5. The only drug "tripping" that I know about from experience is LSD, mescaline (synthetic not peyote buttons) and Psilocybin (synthetic not shrooms).

If you've take some of these drugs, and others like them, you already understand why it's called tripping.

6. #7 LCM, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
    I guess you've never had a giraffe walk out of your fridge and inform you of your incapacitated mental state. "You're trippin man....please take me back to Africa before I die." When you realize you're about to swear a blood oath to a giraffe in your kitchen, the words make sense.

7. why ...well orgasm was already taken...

8. What kind of drug does THAT?:hello:

9. Yeah, I can appreciate that. Really would like to try ayahuasca.

Cool story bro. Is it a real experience?
    [​IMG]

10. every time i trip its like a story book. everything that happens seems like it was meant to happen and i just kind of let myself go. i think its called "tripping" because LSD takes you to a different place. its like a new world with a new understanding and sometimes i feel like a different person. LSD sends you on a trip to a new place and a new reality. but the only way anyone can really understand tripping is if they try it themselves.

11. It was first quoted in the bible
    [​IMG]

12. Lol, you guys be trippin.

13. Try salvia, you'll understand.
    [​IMG]

14. man I'd love to go on the wonderful journey again but due to anxiety, I'm really apprehensive about it. It's been over a decade since I have enjoyed the chaotic joy that comes from such an experience.

I've thought about maybe having a handful of xanax on me if I do decide to trip again. Anyone with anxiety issues do such a thing?

15. lol :laughing::gc_rocks:

16. I would highly reccomend reading revelations while stoned. Theres monsters with multiple heads each having different blasphemous names
    I would definately say salvia counts as a trip.

I once was looking at the red bits on the carpet, which became towers of red rotating away from me, and I was on a conveyor belt with them, and had until the ned of the conveyor belt to finish explaining what it was like, otherwise I'd go underneath it and have to start again.

And then I was eating cheese and crackers and they were turning inside out and my friends laughing head was coming through the middle.

Another time I could see everything as if my eyes were at the back of my mouth, and the borders of my vision were my teeth. I thought I was pressing against the smoke in the air, but I was actually brushing all the salvia over the floor.

Does that count?

17. Pickles and shakes that picture is awesome