Why is there War in Iraq?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rasta_Man, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freedom? Peace? Oil? Money? Terrorism?

The Bush administration had lied time and again. I\'m curious what you Americans think.

This is to provoke some debate:

\"We have been lied to in every military escapade, frankly, over the last 50 or 60 years, without exception. There is no better example probably than Vietnam. You had the President of the United States, and the top generals of the Pentagon, out and out lying about the Golf of Tokin incident which got us into the war, about the casualties, about how the war was going. Anyone who has ever looked closely at the Vietnam war can see that both the public and media was manipulated, substantially. We don\'t like to think of ourselves as a militant nation, but we are, in fact, an incredibly militant and a militaristic nation. It\'s not a view of ourselves that we want to carry around, but the fact is that we are. If the president and the military industrial complex, the defense establishment, if they all have decided that suddenly there is a problem somewhere; we need to drop some bombs or even put land forces somewhere in some country. This is a ritual we have been seeing for decades.

We have toppled governments, we have done coup d\'etats, we\'ve used intelligent services for covert purposes and done horrible things around the world. And we have put up with the most heinous human rights abusing countries, we have propped them up, we have even trained them how to commit human right\'s abuses.

Today\'s demons is today\'s friend. All in the name of the cold war or commercial reasons.

It\'s basically economic colonialism. No-one uses the colonialism word, but instead of just taking over the countries, we have a better way; we just go in and have free markets. Weather we\'re trying to sell out products to their citizens or we\'re trying to mine their resources; we need to be in that country for some reason. Therefore we\'re going to talk about free markets, free trade. But what is really going on is that we want our companies to get rich in your country.\"

-- From \"Why We Fight\" 2005

2. because George Bush is a d-bag!

3. Im starting to think that the American Government is trying to globalize the world. Either that or take it over, which ever you are more comfortable with.

4. [SIZE=\"3\"]Why We Fight[/SIZE]

<object width=\"425\" height=\"350\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/-xYeuzG24mo\"></param><param name=\"wmode\" value=\"transparent\"></param><embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/-xYeuzG24mo\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\"></embed></object>

<object width=\"425\" height=\"350\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/FV6cSUyeNQA\"></param><param name=\"wmode\" value=\"transparent\"></param><embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/FV6cSUyeNQA\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\"></embed></object>

<object width=\"425\" height=\"350\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/xi6mMFifMQY\"></param><param name=\"wmode\" value=\"transparent\"></param><embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/xi6mMFifMQY\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\"></embed></object>

<object width=\"425\" height=\"350\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/afBMu6gGdK8\"></param><param name=\"wmode\" value=\"transparent\"></param><embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/afBMu6gGdK8\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\"></embed></object>

In case anyone wants to watch it. After I do, I will comment further. :)

Thanks Rasta_Man!

5. Because George W. was pissed at Saddam for trying to assassinate his dad in the early 90\'s. That and oil. We need it, they have it.

6. Come on Rasta_Man you know the answer to this....

To find the WMDs.....

I mean to get Saddam out of power....

I mean to fight terror....

I mean bring democracy to the people of Iraq.....

If only it was for one of these reasons why we were there- this war might have meant something. Instead these troops are only going to be remembered fighting for a war that shouldn\'t have been.

Kinda sad......

Really though I think it all has to do with oil and big buisness (war profiteers)

7. Saddam tried to hurt GB\'s papa.

GB kills Saddam & family folk.

Counter-terrorists win.

8. I highly recommend watching the film posted above

9. game theory?

10. We american\'s just kinda wanted a new timeshare location?

I hate the Bush administration, and everything that\'s happened since he\'s been in office, he\'s killing the middle class, and the strain is really hurting my family. He\'s a babbling idiot, we had no reason to go into that country, none whatsoever. I\'m just worried he\'s gunna go invade some other poor country except they\'ll just nuke us.

I feel even though I vote, I have no say whatsoever, in anything. At This point: wake me up in 2008, if there\'s anyone left alive.

11. \"What are we fighting for? Why do we bury our sons and brothers in lonely graves far from home? Our men are dying to preserve a way of life. These privileges, these rights are precious enough to fight for, precious enough to die for.\"

That is chilling. How the world has changed since then.

The person to give me the name of whoever said that, gets a shiny nickel.

12. You MAY have what it takes to be a Canadian. ;)

13. YAY! I feel flattered :D

14. because you touch yourself at night...

Really, though, I believe there is absolutely no reason other than to show the world that America would not be soft. It was easy to pick Iraq because we had A) history of antagonism from them and B) they were a somewhat inflammatory situation in the international community. We had little recent history with North Korea, and Kim Jong Il posed a significant threat to us, as well as being in a region that the U.S. has many interests in that would be scared by U.S. military presence. The U.S. presence in the Middle East was welcomed by the Saudi Royal Family, so it was a prime choice.

15. George Tenet said that Cheney was mentioning invading Iraq even before 9/11, it was always a key point of interest for the administration. Iraq would be an extremely valuable vessel, that is if Paul Wolfowitz prediction would have come true, and we weren\'t forced into a seemingly unwinable war. After the strong support for the war on terror (in Afghanistan) by not only the Americans but many of our allies, they knew they would be able to use some questionable intelligence on WMD\'s, along with the many Americans that have hatred and ignorance toward the Muslim world, especially in the years immediately after 9/11. The oil is of course a key factor in it, but I can\'t help but think a large part is GW looking for some approval he never received from daddy.

16. Was it Eisenhower?

17. Oil, profit. What else? \"why we fight\" is alright example, not a full one though. Very sad, we just keep adding insurgents from the accidental murders of citizens. Islam governments are generally theocracies and we want them to have our \"precious\" democracy way of government. So dangerous for people to do anything there to like voting and shopping. Put it this way, its oil and profit because we were suppose to get Saddam out of power and leave but were still there........... Why? Huge oil reserve and America as we all know is hungry for that shit. Also see the War Profiteers thats another reason were there. The saddest thing about the war are the soldiers who really believe that there giving us our \"already owned and protected\" freedom. Also the government LIES about the death toll.

18. Why?

Because somewhere along the way we as a collective people decided to abandon reason for the knee jerk reaction of bombs and blood. In our horror we decided it was more important to hold someone immediately responsible for 911 than be prudent and sure, we damned reason, we damned the facts and chose to stumble dangerously in the dark of fear. We laid down hope and freedom for an illusion of security which is what preemption really is (it\'s the quest for the impossible because no one can ever truly be safe.) It underestimates the threat because it doesn\'t acknowledge that it has done anything wrong to begin with.

Iraq is a colossal blunder passed the true cause of terrorism; sadly a country is getting wasted in our learning curve, OOPS! Once again reason is thwarted for unreasoned emotion. :D

Anyway...

[See, what I think we\'re doing is after reaction politics coupled with our withering fear filled speculation.
    Everyone today is using the politics of fear to take life and justifying it by acting like life doesn\'t matter at all.
    I say it does.]

Stay green.

19. Because Saddam Hussein violated the UN Peace Treaty that ended the Gulf War by no longer letting UN inspectors enter the country to inspect for WMDs... no less than two months after 9-11. We then begged and pleaded with him for two years to let inspectors in. We told him time after time this will result in military actions. We gave him a deadline... then pushed it back twice. Then, we followed through with our word... unlike Saddam who got himself killed for being hard-headed.

We don\'t need oil. The US currently has a 110 year supply just sitting in reserves, not to mention the oild in Alaska that we haven\'t even started drilling for. Plus, with Canada\'s rediculous supply they\'ll never need and will sell to us... the US has all the oil it needs. Gas is expensive because oil companies like making money. Then, to factor in that we recieved only 5% of our imported oil from Iraq before the war and now production has all but stopped in Iraq... yeah, we won\'t even get enough oil to fund the war.

20. Ooooohh, I\'ll give somebody else a chance! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.